Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 31 Oct 2004, 19:49 (Ref:1141533)   #1
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rallycross local advertisements

As rallycross fans we all want to raise the profile of our sport... and the best way of doing this is promoting it to the general public.

What I want to know is around the location of each event, if you posed the question, how many people would know a top class MSA BRC meeting was taking place?

My home town is Deal in Kent, only 10miles from Lydden Hill, and there are no advertisements for Rallycross in any of the local papers and have only ever seen posters for the European Championship round in 1996.

Surely more needs to be done to promote rallycross... I told friends I was going back in August to Lydden and their reply was "rallycross is that still going? That was fantastic to watch on the tele back in the day!"

So maybe the BRDA or whoever is organising the meetings need to spend a bit of time getting out there and making the best motorsport on the planet known to everyone out there! What do you think?
Old 31 Oct 2004, 22:16 (Ref:1141614)   #2
Spectator
Racer

United Kingdom
East Sussex
Spectator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said ebby.
Though I live in London I spend a lot of time in Thanet. Several years ago there used to ads in the Thanet Gazettte for forthcoming events at Lydden. Not any more.Web site is the only place to find information these days. As said on a different thread on Friday Brands did have a slot on BBC SE news. That I think was due to the press day two weeks ago. Who organised that, Brands or the BRDA?
Problem is that the circuit keeps the gate receipts not the organiser, so if the BRDA advertised the event would there be a return on the outlay for them. Seems to me, as I've said before, that all concerned, circuit owners, BRDA, drivers reps need to work together for the interest of rallycross rather than for their own interests
Old 31 Oct 2004, 23:19 (Ref:1141655)   #3
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I Kno when The MSA championship visited Blyton last year, me and my fellow marshals distributed loads of posters around the local area, as no-one at the circuit or within the VRDA had done it. I know its only a small contribution but it was the only promotion i saw for the event.
Old 1 Nov 2004, 13:43 (Ref:1142050)   #4
Upside Down Bug
Veteran

England
Kent
Upside Down Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As said it is a matter of cost and return.

I have done the poster thing for other events in the past, and frankly it didn't realy produce many more spectators than you would get without promotion. I agree that it will take everybody doing their bit, then fairly sharing the income before you will get better promotion. But in the current climate of profit over all else for many companies then it's difficult to see how it will improve.
Old 1 Nov 2004, 14:07 (Ref:1142069)   #5
Spectator
Racer

United Kingdom
East Sussex
Spectator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad fact of life as you say Upside Down Bug but here's hoping.
Old 1 Nov 2004, 15:04 (Ref:1142105)   #6
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Local marketing is cheap, I know I used to do it for a living (until I made my living from this sport) also its very easy to do - the only downside is that its time consuming
Old 1 Nov 2004, 17:24 (Ref:1142184)   #7
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing I sense with all these threads is that Rallycross is not doing as well as it should or could do for many reasons.
Why doesn't everyone get together and air all these views rather than continually moan about them? If we want to tackle the issues we need to take them head on and see where we can put things right and improve them.
Old 1 Nov 2004, 17:38 (Ref:1142198)   #8
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are adverts in Autosport and Motorsport News. But it is not just Rallycross, look at Hillclimbs and Sprints they also have very little promotion too.
Also is there any Rallycross events held in the midlands at all?
Old 2 Nov 2004, 18:24 (Ref:1143065)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The rallycross meetings at Lydden usually have posters put up around the area (I've seen them in Faversham and at various points along the A2). There are also usually adverts in the Kent Messenger group newspapers. These adverts are for the MSA rounds not the BTRDA rounds though. The Brands meeting also got a mention on the BBC south east news program so that was a help too. More could be done but it requires cash up front and I guess that's a bit thin on the ground.
Old 2 Nov 2004, 23:06 (Ref:1143418)   #10
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What we as rallycross drivers have done here in the south east (Wicklow, Wexford, Carlow, Kildare areas), is that we have simply done an article in paper, it attracts the local people to the events simple really.

Will have to scan in a few for ye to look at, to keep costs down My dads business puts an add in the paper along with a few other people.. just an idea some of you guys might play around with ?

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 4 Nov 2004, 22:09 (Ref:1145142)   #11
Carlos
Racer

England
Cumbria
Carlos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Managed to sort something out, see "Free advertising opportunity" just waiting on some help