Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Sep 2023, 19:42 (Ref:4177716)   #176
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This thread went pretty quiet after Liam Lawson made things a bit awkward.
Old 21 Sep 2023, 20:42 (Ref:4177717)   #177
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, he's given them plenty to think about......
Old 21 Sep 2023, 21:30 (Ref:4177725)   #178
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It seems Lawson is going to be on the bench again in 2024.
To me he is the best of the 3 options.Clearly better than Tsnoda,at least as good and much younger than Ricciardo.
Helmet is doubling down on his bad call to choose deVries over him at the start of the year.
Old 22 Sep 2023, 14:53 (Ref:4177810)   #179
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So honest question - what is the point of this team now? I thought that it was to supply drivers for the main team?

Yuki has long shown he's not going to make it. Danny has been there and left. Dev was a quick failure, even by RBR standards. Lawson is looking promising. If the team ends up as Yuki and Danny, then is it supplying the main team?

Danny and Lawson would appear to be the optimal line up from the 4 drivers they've used, and one of them (arguably both) can make it to the main team.
Old 22 Sep 2023, 18:13 (Ref:4177837)   #180
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm sorry, were you under the impression the team was to find good drivers? It's there so Helmet can play God and pretend he's brilliant for finding Max, how dare you judge his abilities
Old 23 Sep 2023, 04:01 (Ref:4177879)   #181
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I'm sorry, were you under the impression the team was to find good drivers? It's there so Helmet can play God and pretend he's brilliant for finding Max, how dare you judge his abilities
Perhaps the more pertinent question now, is what is the point of Marko these days?

He's 80+ years old, makes sweeping ill advised generalisations and it seems poor selection decisions.
Old 23 Sep 2023, 07:32 (Ref:4177886)   #182
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't know if there are commercial considerations coming into play with driver selection in this instance.I may be a bit of a contrarian but I would have gone with Lawson and DeVries and kept Danny Ric as RB reserve.
Old 23 Sep 2023, 18:22 (Ref:4177930)   #183
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think they see something in Yuki. I think he has speed, but lacks consistency. Maybe they are looking to get him to settle down. I generally think the fact that Liam has managed to swim so quickly in F1 that this has translated to him being somehow viewed as clearly better than Yuki. This puzzles me as IMHO, there is just not enough data to show it one way or another. If anything I would say it's in Yuki's favor, but you would expect that as he is senior in the team. I think they picked Daniel over Liam for his pure experience. Maybe the focus in the near term is car development and they want Daniel to help move the car in the right direction.

Richard
Old 23 Sep 2023, 20:53 (Ref:4177944)   #184
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
The team feel Yuki has had the edge over Liam on pace at each weekend they’ve both done, but also acknowledge his much greater F1 experience.
Old 24 Sep 2023, 15:30 (Ref:4178126)   #185
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
I thought Yuki was there because Honda wants a Japanese driver
Old 24 Sep 2023, 20:18 (Ref:4178188)   #186
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
The team feel Yuki has had the edge over Liam on pace at each weekend they’ve both done, but also acknowledge his much greater F1 experience.
But surely they expected that as LL was thrown in at the deep end?!

The pace picture has changed considerably over a very short time.

LL has clearly illustrated he has a far higher development ceiling than YT has has and in just 4 races!
Old 24 Sep 2023, 20:30 (Ref:4178193)   #187
Rusty Nail
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
Rusty Nail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that early in the race on equivalent tyres Liam could drive around Yuki and take the place. Towards the end of the race when Yuki was on about six lap younger tyres he couldn't overtake Liam.

The only time Yuki got ahead of Liam was due to the pit stop strategy and getting the undercut.

Hope Danny Ric decides to play safe with his hand and Liam gets to do Qatar.
Old 24 Sep 2023, 21:43 (Ref:4178202)   #188
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post

He's been supported by Honda since 2016, through their Honda Formula Dream Project, so that would make sense.
Old 25 Sep 2023, 09:38 (Ref:4178243)   #189
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So for 2024, shall we see Mr Tsunoda in the seat til the Japanese GP.. and a change happens?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 26 Sep 2023, 08:47 (Ref:4178369)   #190
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
If Lawson gets left out for a has been and a never will be (harsh, I know), then the team is clearly no longer about finding future driving talent.

NDV was a bit of a weird choice as well, all of which makes me wonder what the point really is of having a junior team like this.

As long as Verstappen keeps doing his thing, I don't suppose that the RB family of teams need to worry too much.
Old 27 Sep 2023, 03:27 (Ref:4178463)   #191
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
RB only need to hit gold every few years.

Vettel and Max have netted them six, about to be seven titles in 14 seasons.

Then we have to a lesser extent race winners Ricciardo and Sainz and an even lesser extent Gasly and Albon.

That's 25% of the current grid without including Yuki or Liam.

Love them or loathe them, it's brutal but their method absolutely works.
Old 27 Sep 2023, 07:48 (Ref:4178470)   #192
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
RB only need to hit gold every few years.

Vettel and Max have netted them six, about to be seven titles in 14 seasons.

Then we have to a lesser extent race winners Ricciardo and Sainz and an even lesser extent Gasly and Albon.

That's 25% of the current grid without including Yuki or Liam.

Love them or loathe them, it's brutal but their method absolutely works.
Spot on. People still don't get that they're not looking for competence. They're looking for superstars.,
Old 29 Sep 2023, 04:56 (Ref:4178720)   #193
peterelise
Racer

peterelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could well be wrong, but I don’t think Max is a product of the Red Bull young driver system (in the sense they didn’t fund his junior career). Didn’t they simply manage to be the first team to offer him a drive in F1 and he signed with them over Mercedes because RB had a spot immediately available and Merc didn’t?
Old 29 Sep 2023, 05:27 (Ref:4178723)   #194
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterelise View Post
I could well be wrong, but I don’t think Max is a product of the Red Bull young driver system (in the sense they didn’t fund his junior career). Didn’t they simply manage to be the first team to offer him a drive in F1 and he signed with them over Mercedes because RB had a spot immediately available and Merc didn’t?
Max joined the Red Bull Junior Team in 2014 before joining STR in 2015. He also tested at the 2014 Japanese GP for STR.
He did have an offer to join the Mercedes development programme at the same time.

Red Bull might not have funded his entire junior career, but he is a graduate of their driver development program.
Old 29 Sep 2023, 06:49 (Ref:4178729)   #195
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
People forget this, as well as the fact that Vettel was a 50% BMW junior as well as a 50% Red Bull one.
Old 29 Sep 2023, 12:16 (Ref:4178751)   #196
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
People forget this, as well as the fact that Vettel was a 50% BMW junior as well as a 50% Red Bull one.
I doubt Trevor Carlin has forgotten...
Old 29 Sep 2023, 13:38 (Ref:4178768)   #197
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Well he's the only driver I've seen get a NY Times daily segment on him in their email
Old 30 Sep 2023, 21:42 (Ref:4179022)   #198
peterelise
Racer

peterelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Max joined the Red Bull Junior Team in 2014 before joining STR in 2015. He also tested at the 2014 Japanese GP for STR.
He did have an offer to join the Mercedes development programme at the same time.

Red Bull might not have funded his entire junior career, but he is a graduate of their driver development program.
I know Mercedes made him an offer to join but the difference was that Red Bull said he could race in F1 immediately and Merc wasn’t able to offer that. In my mind he is a not a product of the Red Bull young driver programme.
Old 1 Oct 2023, 23:13 (Ref:4179189)   #199
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
And in my mind I'm a multi-billionaire married to the most beautiful woman in the world
Old 2 Oct 2023, 12:42 (Ref:4179241)   #200
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I know Mercedes made him an offer to join but the difference was that Red Bull said he could race in F1 immediately and Merc wasn’t able to offer that. In my mind he is a not a product of the Red Bull young driver programme.

He joined the Red Bull Junior Team in 2014, racing in F3 with Dutch team Van Amersfoort Racing.