Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 28 Sep 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2549579)   #201
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Virgin/Manor deal is definitely done - the official filings have been done

They'll probably make it now. I hope Branson will be reasonable and won't pull a MasterCard on them
Old 29 Sep 2009, 15:52 (Ref:2550620)   #202
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Campos is the other team under doubt as well according to Crash.net
Old 29 Sep 2009, 16:24 (Ref:2550641)   #203
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post
Campos is the other team under doubt as well according to Crash.net
That's only based on what Adrian and Audetto have said themselves, which I don't believe is a clear indication of if they're struggling or not. They've been making noises about them being disadvantaged but I don't believe they'd do this if the project was under serious threat, because it would be a PR own goal

Campos are a professional outfit - they are an existing team more-or-less, with Dallara building the cars, and rumoured sponsorship from at least 2 major Spanish corporations in Telefonica and BBVA. I'd say they've got a pretty decent chance of making it and I'd be very disappointed and surprised if they didn't. I'd put them at least level with Virgin, who are still looking for 80% of their budget as Branson's only putting forward 20%, or so I am told
Old 29 Sep 2009, 18:30 (Ref:2550717)   #204
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
That's only based on what Adrian and Audetto have said themselves, which I don't believe is a clear indication of if they're struggling or not. They've been making noises about them being disadvantaged but I don't believe they'd do this if the project was under serious threat, because it would be a PR own goal

Campos are a professional outfit - they are an existing team more-or-less, with Dallara building the cars, and rumoured sponsorship from at least 2 major Spanish corporations in Telefonica and BBVA. I'd say they've got a pretty decent chance of making it and I'd be very disappointed and surprised if they didn't. I'd put them at least level with Virgin, who are still looking for 80% of their budget as Branson's only putting forward 20%, or so I am told

What are the chances that USF1 line up on the grid come 2010?
Old 29 Sep 2009, 19:09 (Ref:2550735)   #205
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post
What are the chances that USF1 line up on the grid come 2010?
Who knows? They've got an investor behind them but there have hardly been any rumours on sponsorship (YouTube doesn't count because there has been no word of actual YouTube sponsorship - just the co-founder investing). You have to wonder where the money is coming from. There has been talk that their current base is like a ghost town, but then there are others saying they're the most advanced of the new teams

Personally I think it's looking a bit dodgy for them
Old 1 Oct 2009, 00:44 (Ref:2551606)   #206
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Are they still called US F1? Wasn't there something like Bernie preventing them using the F1 name?
Old 1 Oct 2009, 02:11 (Ref:2551625)   #207
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Officially they're Team USF1.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 05:35 (Ref:2551665)   #208
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
What bothers me is that USF1 doesn't dispel the comment that Bernie made which are harmful in attracting sponsors.

Peter Windsor has also said during the Speed tv broadcast back in June that he hopes can keep his job as commentator.

To be fair I know less about Manor than I do about USF1 so who knows
Old 1 Oct 2009, 11:59 (Ref:2551841)   #209
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Are they still called US F1? Wasn't there something like Bernie preventing them using the F1 name?
Further to ptclaus98's answer, I think they're only allowed to use "F1" in their name if they use the word "Team" as well (such as Force India F1 Team, Renault F1 Team), hence they changed from US F1 (briefly via US GPE/US Grand Prix Engineering?) to Team US F1.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 12:36 (Ref:2551877)   #210
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
I think the original name was USF1 but they are now US F1, with the space being quite important for Bernard
Old 1 Oct 2009, 15:24 (Ref:2551997)   #211
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought the parent company was called US Grand Prix Engineering and the team will be called USF1, but please don't quote me on that.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 15:49 (Ref:2552006)   #212
kartracer41
Racer

United States
Michigan, USA
kartracer41 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If I remember correctly, the name was changed from USF1 (space or not), to USGP or whatever because, until they had a spot on the grid, they were not allowed to use the "F1" per Bernie. So once their application was accepted, they were allowed to use the "F1".
Old 1 Oct 2009, 17:06 (Ref:2552068)   #213
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Ken Anderson has always said USF1 would be replaced with another name before the start of the season.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 17:26 (Ref:2552090)   #214
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In that case perhaps they were expecting someone like Penske or Saleen (yes, I know they no longer exist) to come onboard?
Old 1 Oct 2009, 17:49 (Ref:2552104)   #215
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
By dropping US from the name, they could reduce the emphasis on the American team element. It's a nice idea to run the team from America if they could use the cream of American engineering talent. The principle of American drivers is too restrictive, without a line of potentials competing in something like GP2.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 18:19 (Ref:2552132)   #216
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
In that case perhaps they were expecting someone like Penske or Saleen (yes, I know they no longer exist) to come onboard?
Or Andretti Green.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 19:04 (Ref:2552177)   #217
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yeah, because his past F1 forray was a huge success lol ;-)
Old 1 Oct 2009, 19:04 (Ref:2552178)   #218
kartracer41
Racer

United States
Michigan, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Or Andretti Green.
Well they are currently restructuring operations...
Old 2 Oct 2009, 23:46 (Ref:2552988)   #219
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
It seems the reason for doubt about USF1 making the grid is because they missed a technical meeting with Cosworth and the reason being is that they are now chasing William's Toyota engines. Toyota would make sense for an American team since they are the biggest sellers more so than Ford.

For a team that was boasting about having fans getting closer access to the team and not even having a website is cause for concern however.

Embarrasing
Old 3 Oct 2009, 05:27 (Ref:2553037)   #220
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Well, they've now hired the former head of Cosworth's motorsport operations, Bernard Ferguson - link
Old 3 Oct 2009, 17:03 (Ref:2553347)   #221
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Or Andretti Green.
Old 3 Oct 2009, 17:11 (Ref:2553356)   #222
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's my predictions as to who will make it. Campos and Lotus will, Manor will just about make it but USF1 won't. Their spot will be taken by Qadbak Sauber.
Old 4 Oct 2009, 01:34 (Ref:2553527)   #223
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

From the beginning I have had seious doubts about USF1 or whatever it is called this week.
They apparently do have a shop, a former NAPCAR facility. From what I have been able to ascertain it is a bare shop, with probably work benches.
As far as I know there is no machinery. A very basic race shop requires drill presses, grinders, compressers, lathes, welding equipment, mills, shears, painting booths, cleaning tanks and a myramid of other equipment. Air and electrics have to be run. Even if it all arrives tomorrow it is going to take weeks to install and get running. Much of it will have to be tied into the computers, assuming they have them up and running. All will have to be tested to see if they work properly.
Then we get into production of the myriamid of carbon fibre parts. Molds have to be made. Sometimes a male and then from that a female or vice versa. That can take weeks.
You have to have the enclaves to produce the various carbon fibre parts.
Many different parts cannot be put in one enclave at the same time due to structural demands. Even layup of one part can take weeks. One brake caliper, if you are not buying one, or your own disc can take 6 weeks to manufacture. 3 or 4 sets (note sets) of dics can be used per weekend per car.
No matter how carefully the design team, assuming they really have one, draws the hundreds (thousands?) of parts there are going to be things that just won't mesh.
To me USF1 is mostly smoke and mirrors.
Old 5 Oct 2009, 11:50 (Ref:2554457)   #224
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton Irwin View Post
From the beginning I have had seious doubts about USF1 or whatever it is called this week.
They apparently do have a shop, a former NAPCAR facility. From what I have been able to ascertain it is a bare shop, with probably work benches.
As far as I know there is no machinery. A very basic race shop requires drill presses, grinders, compressers, lathes, welding equipment, mills, shears, painting booths, cleaning tanks and a myramid of other equipment. Air and electrics have to be run. Even if it all arrives tomorrow it is going to take weeks to install and get running. Much of it will have to be tied into the computers, assuming they have them up and running. All will have to be tested to see if they work properly.
Then we get into production of the myriamid of carbon fibre parts. Molds have to be made. Sometimes a male and then from that a female or vice versa. That can take weeks.
Many different parts cannot be put in one enclave at the same time due to structural demands. Even layup of one part can take weeks. One brake caliper, if you are not buying one, or your own disc can take 6 weeks to manufacture. 3 or 4 sets (note sets) of dics can be used per weekend per car.
No matter how carefully the design team, assuming they really have one, draws the hundreds (thousands?) of parts there are going to be things that just won't mesh.
I was under the impression that they were subcontracting the manufacturing of all the parts to existing companies in the area? All they were doing in house was designing the car.
Old 5 Oct 2009, 18:20 (Ref:2554643)   #225
kartracer41
Racer

United States
Michigan, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton Irwin View Post
I read a press release quite awhile back that they had the machinery installed. I don't understand why this could be "smoke in mirrors". Why would anyone just nab a F1 grid spot, then for no reason, just not even attempt to be on the grid come time? Just like everyone likes to say about other scandals, I don't see the motive to blow a bunch of smoke and make a fake F1 team that isn't going to happen.
Closed Thread