Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Dec 2002, 05:19 (Ref:440899)   #1
SuperRoo
Rookie

SuperRoo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minardi confirm Cosworth for 2003

LONDON, Dec 2 (Reuters) - Minardi will use Cosworth engines next season, the Formula One team's principal Paul Stoddart said on Monday.

"The engine will give us a significant increase in horsepower over the engine that we had this year and also a nice reduction in weight," the Australian said at the annual Autosport awards ceremony in London.

"Simply put, it gives Minardi the most competitive engine it has had in its 19 year history."

Stoddart said the contract with the Ford-owned engine maker had been agreed and was for one year. Cosworth will also supply Ford-owned Jaguar and Jordan in 2003.

Minardi, ninth overall in 2002 thanks to two points scored by Australian Mark Webber, had a free supply of Asiatech engines last season but that company has since closed down
Old 2 Dec 2002, 09:16 (Ref:440971)   #2
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
From F1-Live :
Quote:
“We at Cosworth Racing are delighted to be working with Minardi again,” says company Commercial Director, Bernard Ferguson. “We have enjoyed a strong relationship over the years, which has been built on mutual trust and respect. I am sure the team is set to go from strength to strength, and we are proud to be the engine of choice at this exciting time for Minardi. ”

The first Cosworth Racing V10 engine will be delivered shortly to Minardi's Faenza factory, where work on the 2003-specification chassis is now under way and progressing well.

Now all we need is to hear news of their official driver line-up, at this stage speculation links Jos Verstappen and Justin Wilson to the two empty seats.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 09:32 (Ref:440978)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Well, I pretty sure that Jos was a done deal once the engine was confirmed, so this should be announced shortly.

A Wilson/Verstappen line up would be great for Minardi, and the 2 drives concerned.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 11:19 (Ref:441036)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I've read every press release I can find and they are all the same. The one thing that is missing though is:

What spec is the engine? I would assume it's an earlier spec, but does anyone have a confirmation?
Old 2 Dec 2002, 12:10 (Ref:441074)   #5
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive heard various commentators say that Minardi would get the 2001-spec (Jordan 2002-spec, Jag gets best). But that was months before the deal was actually finalised so thats not a fact. But it does make sense, Ford can gimp those 2 and thus boost Jag by forcing them to a lower spec.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 12:39 (Ref:441089)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
They wouldn't want a Minardi to qualify ahead of the Jaguar now, would they?
Old 2 Dec 2002, 12:46 (Ref:441093)   #7
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Had they both retained there 2002 line-ups, that's what would have happened.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 13:29 (Ref:441112)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

So we could expect the 6 last cars in the grid having cosworth engines ???
Old 2 Dec 2002, 13:47 (Ref:441121)   #9
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard they would start with the same spec as Jordan, but the Jordan engine is being developed, and Minardi may not get those developments. That last bit is my speculation.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 14:45 (Ref:441140)   #10
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi

Toyota will split that group - only their second year, would still expect Jag and Jordan to give them a hard time.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 15:07 (Ref:441152)   #11
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi

No, cuz I still contend at one of the three teams slated to run Cossies will join Arrows and Prost in History.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 15:52 (Ref:441188)   #12
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All of the Cosworth teams are the ones most likely not to be around by 2003...

There's an interview in this week's Autosport with Niki Lauda -

"You know what Webber said? I asked him, 'Which car would you prefer to drive?' And he said, 'Apart from the engine, definitely the Minardi.' Which gave me a little shock!"
Old 2 Dec 2002, 16:38 (Ref:441217)   #13
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps it's down to the fact that Minardi actually have some passion for the sport, whereas the Jag outfit is run from the Boardroom. It probably won't happen, but I would love to see Minardi grab regular top ten finishes with the Jags bringing up the rear!
Old 2 Dec 2002, 16:59 (Ref:441236)   #14
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nyeeeeahhh this is good news. Not a Ferrari, but I guess this will do as a second best.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 17:38 (Ref:441265)   #15
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Better than the Ferrari, since presumably much cheaper. The expense was enough to send Prost to the wall. Mind you, the expense of the Cosworth was enough to do for Arrows...
Old 3 Dec 2002, 06:30 (Ref:441570)   #16
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Actually, the Minardi was a better chassis than the Jag last year. However, Mark is better off at Jag because they are not as cash strapped as Minardi,and will probably have better chances of improving that engine.
Old 3 Dec 2002, 11:22 (Ref:441685)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
Better than the Ferrari, since presumably much cheaper. The expense was enough to send Prost to the wall. Mind you, the expense of the Cosworth was enough to do for Arrows...
I don't think we can blame Ferrari for that, but rather Prost's management on getting the engines. He did a "Let's get them, and then we think how to pay for them...". No surprise where it all ended.
Old 3 Dec 2002, 12:30 (Ref:441722)   #18
Glen
Veteran

Indeed - and I assume that they underestimated the importance of the whole package... the final five per-cent of the design process... integrating engine, transmission, aero, chassis, tyres etc to make something that is almost more than the sum of its parts is what makes the difference. Certainly there was nothing wrong with the motors - they raced more laps than anyone, bar the red team.

I've got fingers crossed for Minardi - when you look back at 2002 and see the few hopeful results that Arrows managed with the Cosworth engines it gives hope for Minardi in 2003. Actually I wonder if Ford would have played so tough with Arrows had Jaguar been getting the proper results - must have been a significant embarassment mid-season to be beaten by the Arrows.
Old 3 Dec 2002, 23:44 (Ref:442214)   #19
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news indeed. Roll on Albert Park, I'm tired of all the usual nonsense speculation...
Old 4 Dec 2002, 00:05 (Ref:442230)   #20
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
Indeed - and I assume that they underestimated the importance of the whole package... the final five per-cent of the design process... integrating engine, transmission, aero, chassis, tyres etc to make something that is almost more than the sum of its parts is what makes the difference. Certainly there was nothing wrong with the motors - they raced more laps than anyone, bar the red team.

I've got fingers crossed for Minardi - when you look back at 2002 and see the few hopeful results that Arrows managed with the Cosworth engines it gives hope for Minardi in 2003. Actually I wonder if Ford would have played so tough with Arrows had Jaguar been getting the proper results - must have been a significant embarassment mid-season to be beaten by the Arrows.
Glen, I suppose both Prost and Arrows were deperate to get some results, because without works engines, they would simply be tooling around the back of the field anyway. However, Prost had a lousy chassis, and Arrows simply ran out of money. Both team had reasonably good drivers, but I think all that Research and development and testing just depleted their financial resources.
I think that Ford had to play hardball because they were not going to give the engines to Arrows for nothing. As it turned out, now Ford/Jaguar have financial problems also and had to cut right back on staff to meet their new budget (including firing Niki, I suppose).
Old 4 Dec 2002, 14:44 (Ref:442601)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Prost were financially mismanaged from the word go really, Alain never had the skills to pay the bills. If they've ran Cosworth or Asiatech engines in 2001, they may still be around today, btu wouldn't've taken any worthwhile results. The 2003 Prost lineup would be 2 paydrivers with no hope of beating anyone but Minardi.

As for Arrows, they were clearly in trouble long before this year. The way the car arrived in a barely-tested state, leading to those embarassing problems in Melbourne. The Cosworths may have been cheap, and the chassis impressive, but they had no cash to take it further.