Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 Feb 2002, 09:23 (Ref:217554)   #1
M N
Rookie

M N should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Opportunities in BTCC

In the past few years opportunities to graduate to the BTCC have all but disapeered, At one time there existed a possible path via one make series ( clio's, Fiesta's etc ). Although not garunteed, a one make title under your belt helped you to be looked on favourably for a touring car position, either a drive or a testing contract, ( the latter is no longer needed by teams due to minimal testing allowed before each race ). We see the likes of Daniel Buxton winning the Clio cup for what? at the moment absolutly nothing, due to the fact that he does not come with a cheque for half a million. So does this now devalue the Clio Cup as a feeder series for the BTCC ?. This is not an isolated case, BTC Production Champion Simon Harrison what possibilitys does he have wiyh no big checkbook ? very few i think.
The BTCC used to be the pinnacle of Tin Top Racing with grids of talented professional racing drivers who where there on merit alone. It is now fast becoming a playground for the privileged few with large amounts of money.
Old 17 Feb 2002, 10:04 (Ref:217573)   #2
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi MN, welcome to the forum.

I think you are right, money now plays a bigger part in some teams than driver talent - but with all that money, the talent should evolve.
Old 17 Feb 2002, 12:46 (Ref:217687)   #3
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Welcome MN. You're dead right about the lack of obvious career path, but I guess that's true in every form of motorsport. I hate to talk about F1 but it's just as true there. How many drivers has actually graduated via F3000 which is supposed to be the 'official' feeder formula. In the end money talks. I understand Buxton was offered a seat at Egg (along with virtually everyone with a racing licence) but couldn't raise the cash in time.

If you think back a year we had the same situation prior to BTCP. Logically the last National Saloon champion (Toni Roukonen) should have been in line for a good BTCC drive but the best he could get was half a season in a CAM Mitsubishi. As you say ditto this year with Simon Harrison, BTCP Champion but (as yet) still without a drive of any sort.

I suppose with limited works teams there's always going to be more drivers than drives. In a way the situation hasn't been helped by what I consider to be some unusual driver selections - Leslie/Bennett @ Proton, Priaulx/Morrison @ Honda - they are all really good but wouldn't have been the first names to spring to mind.
Old 17 Feb 2002, 13:38 (Ref:217736)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I reckon Harrison may be on the grid and Buxton likely. There's certainly more to this than money IMHO.
Old 17 Feb 2002, 13:50 (Ref:217747)   #5
scotty-boy
Rookie

scotty-boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
racing has always been a rish sport, theres no getting away from that, i think we now have to look to the proddies as a feeder, cos thats the nearest you can get to tourers at the moment. the aim should be for drivers in the clios, fiestas (defunct i know) etc to get into the proddies for a couple of seasons then graduate to the tourers
Old 17 Feb 2002, 14:07 (Ref:217752)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes you would think that. But I have heard it costs the same (roughly £200,000) for a season in BTCP or BTCT.
Old 17 Feb 2002, 14:16 (Ref:217754)   #7
scotty-boy
Rookie

scotty-boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i thought you got prize money for finishin in certain positions in BTCP but there wasnt any in BTCT?
Old 17 Feb 2002, 15:45 (Ref:217793)   #8
100% honda fa
Rookie

100% honda fa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah they news to in powertour when production was there and harrision might race for gr in a 147
Old 17 Feb 2002, 15:48 (Ref:217797)   #9
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has Toni Ruokkonen got anything lined up for 2002, because he's a great driver and it will be sad to see him disappear and never come back.