Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Apr 2005, 11:47 (Ref:1282916)   #1
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Idiots Guide to LMES

As a somewhat lapsed Prototype fan, can you chaps give me some simple info on the differences between LMP1 and LMP2. Is it engine-size, weights, turbo motors, or what?

I'm aware that the P2s are smaller, cheaper and usually slower, but what are the main features of each. I regard the classes, in my ignorance, as a bit like C1/C2, or from even older days, 3-litre and 2-litre Group 6. Is this a fair description.

Also, I saw one of the P1s at Spa had an AER engine. What's this?

I'm no 'techy' please keep any explanations very simple !!!
Old 20 Apr 2005, 12:12 (Ref:1282931)   #2
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
As a somewhat lapsed Prototype fan, can you chaps give me some simple info on the differences between LMP1 and LMP2. Is it engine-size, weights, turbo motors, or what?

I'm aware that the P2s are smaller, cheaper and usually slower, but what are the main features of each. I regard the classes, in my ignorance, as a bit like C1/C2, or from even older days, 3-litre and 2-litre Group 6. Is this a fair description.

Also, I saw one of the P1s at Spa had an AER engine. What's this?

I'm no 'techy' please keep any explanations very simple !!!
P1 and P2 are the new names replacing the older LMP900 and LMP675 regs cars prior to 2004, it is just a way to standardise most, if not all FIA sanctioned GT type events/series. Mike here explains this in more details which would help your understanding.

Basically P2 cars of today might not be that much slower, due to the higher power-to-weight ratio. Main differences between the two are the tyre width and if I'm correct, engine restrictions. These P2 cars are relatively cheaper to acquire and run and therefore tend to favour smaller/privateer teams.

AER along with many others are the engine makes because a lot of the cars use a different chassis/engine combo. Other popular engine suppliers are Judd, AER (Advanced Engine Research), Nissan, Zytek, Mugen, JPX, Mazda...etc

Last edited by TerryC; 20 Apr 2005 at 12:21.