Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 3 Dec 2003, 23:18 (Ref:803160)   #1
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Enough Of The Doom And Gloom!

1. The vote is set for December 19th. The series still exists now, and either through Plan A or Plan B, a series will continue to exist.

Through Plan A, CART and OWRS will merge. Through Plan B, CART will liquidate (basically will close their doors to the front office) and OWRS will pick up the pieces. Fairly simply to figure out.

There will be a racing series under CART/OWRS next year with 18 cars on the grid.

2. Although one team (ASTJ) is on the brink, there are still plenty of teams dedicated to the future of CART/OWRS. They have all expressed their dedication to the series, as have drivers and sponsors.

3. St. Petersburg was pushed back in the schedule simply because the time between the vote and first round just didn't leave enough time for teams to get sorted and for new teams to arrive. With Long Beach now being the first round, new teams will now have adequate preparation time.
Old 3 Dec 2003, 23:20 (Ref:803163)   #2
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Enough Of The Doom And Gloom!

Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
3. St. Petersburg was pushed back in the schedule simply because the time between the vote and first round just didn't leave enough time for teams to get sorted and for new teams to arrive. With Long Beach now being the first round, new teams will now have adequate preparation time.
I actually think that it's a positive thing to be starting 2months later ... gives teams alot more time to get ready and find sponsors.
Old 3 Dec 2003, 23:21 (Ref:803165)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Since there has been complaints about this post here, I will change the attitude, but not the meaning. Since every other thread in this forum at this present time is filled with mostly negative thought, this thread will remain open for those people who choose to remain positive even with all the news going around.

If you have a problem with this, there are plenty of other threads in this current CART/ChampCar forum to discuss whatever you want.

Last edited by f1manoz; 5 Dec 2003 at 03:18.
Old 3 Dec 2003, 23:59 (Ref:803192)   #4
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Excellent thread, f1manoz! I agree totally with you guys, starting two months later was the ONLY option CART/OWRS had. It will give them extra time to find the sponsors, drivers and cars. Let's also remember that some teams may have to hire new crew members or re-hire the old ones they let go at the end of this past season. I just hope they can find a spot on the schedule for the St. Pete race....it's a good track/event and will only get better! The hardest thing is waiting the extra 2 months for the first race to start in Long Beach.....when do you guys suppose Spring Training will be held? Keep On Rollin' CART>>>
Old 4 Dec 2003, 00:10 (Ref:803204)   #5
sgjb
Racer

sgjb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey f1manoz

If we are not aloud to debate the points you have made because this would be in your opinion negative what can we write. Many of us including you hope that what you say is right. But your plan A has already been publicly stated as not an option by the OWRS people.

Plan B I think is okay but I have reservations if it is vaible in time for the 2004 season. Bankruptcies do not clear up overnight. But I hope your right.

To me a Plan C would be better, by them just starting a new series and try and have teams and promoters sign on with them once the bankruptcy begins. I am sure all promoters can get out of their agreements then move them over to the new people.

You are right about ST. Pete's other than their will be no vote now.

You are also right that there is an enormous amount of people dedicated to keeping the series going and I hope someone can make it happen.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 00:30 (Ref:803213)   #6
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that when you name a thread "Enough of the Doom and Gloom" you pretty much set the intended tone of the thread. If you dwell on the bad then your getting "Off Topic." There are plenty of "Doom and Gloom" threads running right now.

By the way SGJB, if your Plan C gets us good open wheel racing on road courses in North America I'm with you. Right now I'm hoping for the current Plan B and am totally disappointed at the failure of Plan A.

Small note: I think there was someone here that lives in the St. Pete area that wanted us all to know that there is no "S" at the end of St. Pete.

Man I wish the stuff would get over with! I miss the racing!
Old 4 Dec 2003, 01:02 (Ref:803229)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks f1manoz, there are far too many people that want to see open-wheel road racing in North America die out who are jumping on the information that has come out and are yelling as loud as they possibly can that there will be no more CART-style racing. Right now it's all speculation - but those that want to see it end are definately the loudest.

Nobody's saying that CART is in good shape or that 2004 will have 26 cars, however, at the same time, everyone involved in OWRS has said there will be a CART in 2004 and it will have 18 cars and visit many of its usual tracks - and they've said they're willing to put up the money to make it happen (like $100 million - though I think they'll do it for less). What keeps the death and gloomers jumping up and down, is the remnants of CART Inc. which are going down in flames. The quicker OWRS can get from under CART's mess the quicker they can begin to rebuild open-wheel road racing in North America.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 4 Dec 2003, 01:07 (Ref:803233)   #8
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what is the direction of the New CART or Champcars?
I would idealy like to see it rival the old CART when it was a threat to F1, but in reality- where is it heading and what sort of Partnerships are to be expected this time around?
Old 4 Dec 2003, 02:25 (Ref:803282)   #9
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

"Keep On Rollin' CART"
Attached Thumbnails
cart_truck.jpeg  
Old 4 Dec 2003, 02:40 (Ref:803294)   #10
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Thanks, I needed that, carsten66!
Old 4 Dec 2003, 03:14 (Ref:803319)   #11
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Only f1manoz and perhaps a few others will get to read this, but that is WAY too rosy of a picture. We criticize some members for their single sightedness but as CART fans can we not be objective?

Last edited by macdaddy; 4 Dec 2003 at 05:09.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 03:33 (Ref:803334)   #12
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously you ignored what I posted above corkholio. There are plenty of other threads to discuss everything going on at the moment. I have opened this thread to keep a semblance of positivity.

If you have a problem with myself or any other moderator, please do not hesitate to PM myself or any other moderator to discuss any problem that you have.

Ben

Last edited by f1manoz; 5 Dec 2003 at 03:22.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 03:42 (Ref:803343)   #13
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Thanks for the uplifting words as always! I think the point was more, rather than worrying about uncertainty and things we have no control of at all...and assuming the worst - as many posters here (possibly yourself) want to see come to reality, try looking on the positive side - something few want to do for some reason. Is it based on any new known facts? NO Is all the death and gloom based on any known facts? NO!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 4 Dec 2003, 04:48 (Ref:803367)   #14
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Here's one perspective that's looks at the situation most of the CART-haters or death and gloomers don't want to believe exists: http://espn.go.com/rpm/cart/2003/1203/1677438.html

Quote:
Even though OWRS believes it will field a sufficient number of cars to comply with contracutal agreements in 2004, the demise of American Spirit effectively put CART's pending sale/merger in default.

That, in turn, gave OWRS a new avenue to take that possibly will prevent any stonewalling or lawsuits by angry stockholders and also get a bargain basement price. CART's release said it was considering its alternatives, which included ceasing operation and liquidating its remaining assets after filing Chapter 11.

If CART goes bankrupt, OWRS would not have to pay 56 cents a share (or roughly $15 million) and would likely be able to buy the assets at a greatly reduced price. Also, by becoming the Debtor in Possession, OWRS would provide funding with no obligations toward liabilities (there is at least one pending lawsuit with California Speedway) and have first claim on the assets. It's also feasible that the estimated $7 million remaining in CART's kitty could be paid out to the stockholders.
Obviously there are still a lot of question marks, but as I've said many times before the rich guys fighting to keep CART alive are a long way from giving up yet....and perhaps what is viewed by many of the death and gloomers as the "fat" lady warming up is actually something that will help get a new series started up, rather than carving through the legal jungle that CART faces.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 05:17 (Ref:803373)   #15
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
This was a great thread to read, first one after I got home from work. Certainly we can have one, just one thread that's not gonna be disheartening? Don't worry - everybody's likely to read all of the threads - so be rest assured that we're all gonna get our fill of D&G. But here's a thread that can start and end my day on a happy note!

Might even make it my homepage!

BTW - Great attachment, carsten66!
Old 4 Dec 2003, 06:39 (Ref:803406)   #16
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think most promoters would be ready to just switch to OWRS, if they made an acceptable proposal. Molson's definitely going to be on top of things for the Canadian events, so hopefully they step up soon! I love CART, and just hope for the best!
Old 5 Dec 2003, 18:47 (Ref:805041)   #17
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In whatever shape it continues, our favourite cars and drivers will do some racing next year. I'm sure!
Old 5 Dec 2003, 20:26 (Ref:805119)   #18
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ok say reunification happens- CART still lives in another form and the IRL is in a new form as well (in a doom and gloom view TG is in contorl) but a reunification where the teams have a competition board and regs and rules must be ratified (sp) by this group, so the new OpenWheel world series lives on better than we'd hoped- but what is the schedule going to look like?
Old 9 Dec 2003, 15:42 (Ref:807570)   #19
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think we should talk about D&G all the time!

http://www.johnthawley.com/gallery/albun22/aav
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 9 Dec 2003, 15:58 (Ref:807579)   #20
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada

For the first time, I agree!
Old 9 Dec 2003, 16:16 (Ref:807589)   #21
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some good news to think about:

Michel Jourdain Jr. is getting married over the Christmas break. He will be doing an interview with RFM Sports when he rests up!

Mario Dominguez is involved in some winter racing. He will also be interviewing with us when he gets back in town, probably in January.

Alex Tagliani is very upbeat about the 2004 season and believes that if anybody can do it, Paul G can do it.

Paul Tracy is doing promotional work in Las Vegas. Not promotional for for NA$CAR or Another Series. Patrick Carpentier is on holiday. Both drivers still have jobs.

Walker Racing is testing new drivers.

None of the drivers we have contacted believe that the series is going to die, and they are not only planning to be on the grid in Long Beach but are confident that they will be there. None of them have been out looking for work in Another Series except for the one who has already left and had his first major crash in his first trip out in the car.

And now it will be up to us to counteract the people in the Mainstream Press who continue to believe "If it bleeds, it leads!" and have no time for the good things that are still going on out there.
Old 9 Dec 2003, 16:46 (Ref:807612)   #22
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My happy thought: No matter what form it takes, or what organizations run it, there is a market for open-wheel professional road-racing in North America. May it always be so, and may there always be a supply to meet the demand.