Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 9 Jul 2003, 20:30 (Ref:657305)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A New ALMS Venue in 2004 or Beyond?

Go to the e-track website www.etracksonline.co.uk and look at a story titled Boundless vision for race track...

Apparently, a new 3.2 mile road course is being built in Waxahacie, Texas, just south of Dallas that will be FIA approved for racing, and accoding the the story should be ready to race in 2004...

This venue fits the ALMS criteria for new or expanded events:

In or near a major metropolitan area...

Road course that is not a "Roval" -- a purpose built road course...

Sounds like there may be a new venue for the ALMS schedule next year....

and it sounds like a nice new facility...

Deep in the Heart of Texas....

Take a look and share your thoughts....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 9 Jul 2003, 20:32 (Ref:657308)   #2
RM40
Racer

RM40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah yes, I have read and went to this track site. IIRC, their were still some managerial jobs and condos available around the track.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 20:34 (Ref:657311)   #3
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HOOwah
but in Texas?
well good as any other i suppose- where there is space
Old 9 Jul 2003, 20:51 (Ref:657330)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There ae lots of race fans down there...but are they sportscar fans??

That's my only question...

I would think that Dallas and Houston are cosmopolitan enough with their oil money/oil execs and management types, and all of the Carpetbaggers that have moved there over the years that the ALMS would do pretty well with a race on a road circuit like this...

Let's see if it comes about....

Old 9 Jul 2003, 20:55 (Ref:657337)   #5
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's being built for bikes first, and the whole plan looks way too ambitious, but if the place gets built, it will be best for everyone. By the way, the opening date has already been pushed back to Spring 2005. Not a good sign. They have a website: http://www.boundlessmotorplex.com/

Do you think they could maybe take out one of those parking lots and add a kart track?

Last edited by Fish_Flake; 9 Jul 2003 at 20:59.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 21:09 (Ref:657352)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
There's plenty of money down there, and if they're doing it in Texas, it'll be big....

Considering the fact that it costs over $200 million to build a quality basketball arena or football stadium, the $110 million price tag for this venue is a steal....

Wish luxury suites, the condos and about 100,000 Grandstand seats, they will make tons of money down there one way or another...

I hope it works out for them....

But it does seem like a place that ALMS could do a race...the key would be the time of year....

The Fall is out of the question due to football...ALMS won't compete with the Cowboys or with College football on a Fall weekend...

The summer is hot as Hell, with the only difference being humidity in Texas (a quality that Hell can only wish for)....

Spring dates would be tricky due to weather (rain is the big problem there....)but probably the most likely scenario of the three...

Sometime in mid-April would give teams enough time to prepare for Test Day at LM...and if they did get a nice day in April, Texas can be nice at that time of the year....

Old 9 Jul 2003, 21:20 (Ref:657360)   #7
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You also have to remember that the NASCAR race at Texas Motor Speedway is in early April, which attracts over 200,000 fans, and the IRL races there in mid-June and late September, with around 80,000 attending both races. The track is being purpose-built for MotoGP and my guess is that its date would come in either March or November, so if ALMS were to race there, the best bet for ALMS would be a night race in the summer. But let's not get too ahead of ourselves; the cost of the complex is $250 million, and so far only half of that cost has been covered. This top-notch European-style facility most likely will have to be downsized a little, or be developed over a greater period of time.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 21:52 (Ref:657386)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
That is still not outrageous...guess the costs always go up on things like this from the initial estimates....

I just read what was on e-tracks, and that mentioned cars racing there....

I knew about the IRL races at Texas Motor Speedway, but forgot about the date of the NASCAR event....

If it does come about...maybe a possible 1000 km with an early evening start while it is still light (6:30 or 7 p.m. start) that goes into the night hours but ends before midnight...

Kinda the way NASCAR does the Coca-Cola 600 in Charlotte...but run the ALMS event in July....

The overall layout looks like it would be decent for ALMS....

Old 9 Jul 2003, 22:24 (Ref:657419)   #9
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I swear i've seen a track simialr to that before.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 22:29 (Ref:657427)   #10
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so its the 20 hour of texas? best yet huh?
or even a stinkin Nascar race oh no-
Old 9 Jul 2003, 22:34 (Ref:657433)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
At first, gttouring, I began the delusions of the Road America endurance race that we share, but doing one in Texas a this facility...

But the whole weekend closest to July 4 thing would never work down there...the'd all be watchin' "Day-Yull" and "AWE-SUHM BEE-UHL" and the like on FOX running in the Firecracker 400 from Daytona...they sure wouldn't be at a track watching beautiful prototypes racing around July 4th...

Old 9 Jul 2003, 22:37 (Ref:657435)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
BTW...I may start an e-mail campaign to ALMS to do the Elkhart Lake 12 hrs, or 10 hrs or whatever, in the weekend colsest to July 4th...

That would be an awesome event...

But I would like to see this Texas thing fly for sportscars, too...after all, it fits the ALMS business plan to a "T"