Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 16 Jul 2007, 13:52 (Ref:1964441)   #1
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
Porsche don't enter Le Mans BECAUSE of these reliabilty issues- they can't gurantee their cars so won't let anyone enter.
No Porsche did not enter LMP2 at LM because Roger Penske TOLD Porshe, if you want Team Penske at LM YOU( PORSCHE) will pay the FULL BILL about $2,000,000 for that race.

Penske said the months of May and June are too busy for his racing business to do only one race.

What 6 NASACAR and Indy 500 races in that time frame.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 14:04 (Ref:1964450)   #2
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
No Porsche did not enter LMP2 at LM because Roger Penske TOLD Porshe, if you want Team Penske at LM YOU( PORSCHE) will pay the FULL BILL about $2,000,000 for that race.
... is that what it would cost to make the car reliable over the full 24 hours

If Porshe thought they could win it, they would have entered there own cars. They just didn't want to lose the race through reliability problems ($2m down the drain). Penske is a substantive organisation and could have handled the resourcing requirements.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 14:05 (Ref:1964453)   #3
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You're both right. Penske could run Le Mans if he wanted to, and if he didn't have to use his own money. And Porsche could make it happen, if they wanted to. I see too many ifs in this equation.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 14:46 (Ref:1964484)   #4
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It has been said over and over again: Porsche will not go to Le Mans (in any official capacity) using a P2 car.
It has nothing to do with reliability! It has to do with the possibility of winning.
No P2 car stands the slightest chance of winning (under normal conditions) at Le Mans against the oil-burners.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 14:56 (Ref:1964491)   #5
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman
It has been said over and over again: Porsche will not go to Le Mans (in any official capacity) using a P2 car.
It has nothing to do with reliability! It has to do with the possibility of winning.
No P2 car stands the slightest chance of winning (under normal conditions) at Le Mans against the oil-burners.
Even if the reliability issures were sorted I'd be fairly surprised if a P2 could win at Le Mans against petrol P1s either, without a pretty major retirement list in P1......
Old 16 Jul 2007, 15:15 (Ref:1964503)   #6
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Porsche don't enter Le Mans BECAUSE of these reliabilty issues- they can't gurantee their cars so won't let anyone enter.
Come, now. Porsche and everyone else knows your car doesn't need to be reliable to win LMP2 at Le Mans - at least not thus far.

By the way, there are some very interesting theories here, like "engine power/longevity options," and Porsche won't "let" entries occur.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 15:18 (Ref:1964508)   #7
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
Even if the reliability issures were sorted I'd be fairly surprised if a P2 could win at Le Mans against petrol P1s either, without a pretty major retirement list in P1......
Agreed! While the P2 cars are very quick - Sebring showed how their pace dropped off over time. A P2 will not be able to win LM, they just don't have the straight line grunt to be able to compete with any P1 car down the straight and not enough corners to make the difference up there.....
Old 16 Jul 2007, 15:33 (Ref:1964518)   #8
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam
... is that what it would cost to make the car reliable over the full 24 hours

If Porshe thought they could win it, they would have entered there own cars. They just didn't want to lose the race through reliability problems ($2m down the drain). Penske is a substantive organisation and could have handled the resourcing requirements.
Penske said his price to run LM24 was for Porsche to pay HIM, Penske Racing $1`million per car. Had nothing to do with realiabilty, Porsche did not want to pay penske.

No one can expect to enter just one LM24 and Win ( oh wait Pug did)
Old 16 Jul 2007, 21:24 (Ref:1965154)   #9
porsche45
Racer

United States
porsche45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Penske said his price to run LM24 was for Porsche to pay HIM, Penske Racing $1`million per car. Had nothing to do with realiabilty, Porsche did not want to pay penske.

No one can expect to enter just one LM24 and Win ( oh wait Pug did)

The only one streched during that time would be The Captain, himself. The Porsche crew does not work the nASScrap or IRL races. Porsche and/or Penske could fund a run at Le Mans.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 13:57 (Ref:1965738)   #10
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK
Come, now. Porsche and everyone else knows your car doesn't need to be reliable to win LMP2 at Le Mans - at least not thus far.

By the way, there are some very interesting theories here, like "engine power/longevity options," and Porsche won't "let" entries occur.
According to RLM reliability was why they did not go.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 15:48 (Ref:1965818)   #11
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
According to RLM reliability was why they did not go.
Who? One opinion, right?

They announced they weren't going to Le Mans when they announced the program, well before they'd turned a wheel in a race. So, I guess they already knew they'd break a lot?

It was an ALMS program, period, from the start with no plans for Le Mans. The contingency is there if a European team wants to buy a car, or if any team wants to go to Le Mans on its own nickel. So far, no one has. The only two teams that are racing the cars have little Le Mans history and only a passing interest (well below their ALMS plans). No big mystery.

With only one sale even rumored before next season to a buyer in Europe, an entry in 2008 would seem not to be highly likely, either.
Old 18 Jul 2007, 03:28 (Ref:1966231)   #12
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Moved from the PLM Entrants thread.
Old 18 Jul 2007, 03:45 (Ref:1966234)   #13
watermelon
Rookie

watermelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i thought it had something to do with the fact of the audi/ porsche family connection as it wouldn't make no sense for porsche to even challange for the main prize while audi is focusing on it as their main marketing push... plus they wouldn't stand much chance i guess....??
Old 18 Jul 2007, 05:14 (Ref:1966254)   #14
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not much chance for overall victory. Reliability that is questionable.
Old 18 Jul 2007, 12:06 (Ref:1966478)   #15
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Moved from the PLM Entrants thread.
Phewww, and I thought I was getting senial.

We can talk about reliabity or who did not pay or want to pay what? The fact is Spyder and Penske were not at LM in 07 so we really dont know.

What will happen in 2008, again, we dont know. I think a lot will have to do with the ACO and any adjustments or diffinition of "what is a "manufacture team "and "manufacture involvment" per class regulations.

Then the silly season team scambling will begin for 2008.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 03:49 (Ref:1967073)   #16
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think everone puts way too much into the Porsche won't go unless they can win theory.

They still have cars in GT2 right?
Old 19 Jul 2007, 06:04 (Ref:1967118)   #17
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK
With only one sale even rumored before next season to a buyer in Europe, an entry in 2008 would seem not to be highly likely, either.
Dyson would appear to be the most likely Porsche participants at Le mans. Will they finally do what they have been threatening to do for a number of years?

I also believe that there will be a strong desire (from Porsche) not to allow Acura a free run at the Le Mans LMP2 title (LMS challengers notwithstanding).

I'm (personally) very hopeful of a Porsche presence in LMP2 at Le Mans in 2008............
Old 19 Jul 2007, 08:42 (Ref:1967231)   #18
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Nah Porsche don't want to limp across the line, it would look silly- they want to run, for 24 hours, without breaking down, and they don't think they can. Thats why.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 10:46 (Ref:1967306)   #19
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Bullett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Dyson would appear to be the most likely Porsche participants at Le mans. Will they finally do what they have been threatening to do for a number of years?

I also believe that there will be a strong desire (from Porsche) not to allow Acura a free run at the Le Mans LMP2 title (LMS challengers notwithstanding).

I'm (personally) very hopeful of a Porsche presence in LMP2 at Le Mans in 2008............
If I can ask, What have they been threatening?
Old 19 Jul 2007, 11:26 (Ref:1967342)   #20
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullett
If I can ask, What have they been threatening?
To race at Le Mans. The team have expressed a desire (on a number of occasions in recent years) to do so. The EX-257's were deemed unsuitable and the B06/10's too new in 2006, but now, with the Spyder's..........??

Probably just wishful thinking on my part, but if the desire is there and they can find the budget for 2008, it would seem plausible.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 15:14 (Ref:1967557)   #21
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is a difference between Porsche being at Le Mans in an official capacity and customer Porsches (with Porsche support) racing there.

Perhaps this might shed some more light on their thinking:

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...010760,00.html
Old 21 Jul 2007, 18:24 (Ref:1969310)   #22
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman
There is a difference between Porsche being at Le Mans in an official capacity and customer Porsches (with Porsche support) racing there.

Perhaps this might shed some more light on their thinking:

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...010760,00.html
Good read.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 08:47 (Ref:1969701)   #23
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
I like this passage from the article.....

Kristen is armed with some knowledge of the changes to the rules for 2008 but he cannot divulge specifics until the ACO makes an official announcement.

"I think what the ACO wants to do for 2008 is definitely a good step.

"I don't know exactly what the revision will be but it will help to increase the attractiveness of LMP1."

.....sounds very encouraging!
Old 22 Jul 2007, 23:56 (Ref:1970637)   #24
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
I like this passage from the article.....

Kristen is armed with some knowledge of the changes to the rules for 2008 but he cannot divulge specifics until the ACO makes an official announcement.

"I think what the ACO wants to do for 2008 is definitely a good step.

"I don't know exactly what the revision will be but it will help to increase the attractiveness of LMP1."

.....sounds very encouraging!
Old 25 Jul 2007, 20:15 (Ref:1973376)   #25
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
they say that everytime.