Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 28 Jul 2004, 01:27 (Ref:1049373)   #1
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands Hatch WSB

European round of the World Superbikes this weekend, what are the predictions.

Another Honda double? Will Haga get another win? Can the factory Ducati's turn around what all in all has been a less than impressive season?

And no wildcards. It was different not seeing any at Silverstone or Laguna, but they had been dwindling there in recent years, but Brands used to draw all the good ones usually, and it'll be a big shame not to see them there.

Something needs to be done regarding wildcards for next year!!!

As a footnote, with the Suzuka 8 Hours being run last weekend, does anyone know why it was held earlier this year, and why it clashed with a GP preventing any GP riders competing?
Old 28 Jul 2004, 08:53 (Ref:1049562)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
gp riders hardly enter suzuka 8 hours these days anyway.... a honda double would be good at brands for vermuelen

supersport - muggeridge to win again, or foret on the yamaha - as long as he dont look over his shoulder
Old 28 Jul 2004, 10:10 (Ref:1049638)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Toseland will crack under the pressure at least once, but might be the most likely non-Honda winner. Vermuelen and the whole Ten Kate team look really impressive right now - wouldn't it be great if they could get someone on a second bike to help out?

As for the Wildcards, it's purely down to Flammini's biased, undemocratic and self-centred control tyre. Teams who don't usually run Pirellis don't have the option of doing the race anymore. The rule really should be overlooked for WIldcards, because they're not going to challnege for the championship, and the race won't be quite the same without as much local interest. It's not as if Pirellis are vastly inferior anymore either, so it wouldn't give Wildcards and advantage.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 16:36 (Ref:1050041)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have to agree with you on your final point their Boots. Not seeing wildcards at races like Brands is rather sad as they were always a welcome addition to the grid and usually mixed in well with the championship regulars.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 21:43 (Ref:1050362)   #5
spottymarshal
Rookie

England
Chatham,Kent
spottymarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to see James Toseland, Leon Haslam and P-F Chilli on the podium in either of the 2 races although hopefully both races.

Yes I would also like to see a few wildcard entries if it can happen at Moto GP why not WSB

Last edited by spottymarshal; 28 Jul 2004 at 21:44.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 05:27 (Ref:1050518)   #6
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Laconi&Haga for race wins

Ciao Marco
Old 29 Jul 2004, 09:44 (Ref:1050679)   #7
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
food for thought

2004 wsb laguna seca pole : steve martin 1:26.912 (no wildcards)
2004 ama laguna seca pole : ben bostrom 1:24.906 (same weekend as wsb)
thats almost 2 seconds give or take track conditions/tyres bike regulations

2003 wsb laguna seca pole : mathew mladin 1:25.561
2003 ama laguna seca pole : mathew mladin 1:25.549 (same weekend)

pity that the british boys are not racing at brands, but if they were using there normal rubber (not pirelli), i think john reynolds or michael rutter etc would be a good chance to get pole...

so controlled tyre maybe good for wsb racers, but it does cut out the wildcard factor in britain, japan, usa and australia to a lesser extent
Old 29 Jul 2004, 14:49 (Ref:1050944)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Intersting stuff there Gomick, although I suspect that the switch to Pirellis accounts for some of the lost time.

The other factor of course is that wildcard riders get noticed internationally - it's how Haga, Bayliss, Tamada and Byrne amongst others got noticed. As WSBK is losing teams and riders to MotoGP, it needs replacements somehow, and I wonder what people are being denied the chance to demonstrate.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 14:34 (Ref:1051999)   #9
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Such a shame that no wildcards are there. I missed them at Laguna too! Hope Honda can continue their charge this weekend. Noticed that Coxhell is also racing and was in the top 10 today. Compare that to where he usually is in BSB and you see how inferior the Pirellis are to, say Reynolds Dunlops!!
Old 30 Jul 2004, 23:46 (Ref:1052410)   #10
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon Frankie is gonna win at least one of the races and if he doesnt win both then I hope Haga wins the other one....
Old 30 Jul 2004, 23:56 (Ref:1052415)   #11
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
interesting for aussie race fans that ant west is racing supersport for the italian megabike honda team at brands
would this be the first time that garry mccoy has been to brands
Old 1 Aug 2004, 11:49 (Ref:1053235)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Fantastic race 1, Haga edged it from Laconi on a last lap which featured 4 lead changes. A real shame Haslam fell near the end after a heroic ride. Toseland really has to do better - 7th behind Ellison.

Once you think about it, there are problems with the series - an inferior field to MotoGP, lack of works support, scandalous Pirelli tyre deal, no wildcards. But don't think, and it's breathtaking every time. Roll on race 2!
Old 1 Aug 2004, 19:57 (Ref:1053481)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The championship table looks fascinating now!

Laconi - 218
Vermeulen - 216
Haga - 212
Toseland - 210

Old 2 Aug 2004, 07:33 (Ref:1053724)   #14
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
honda and ducati's winning, pirelli tyres, 4 riders within 8 points..... flammini has done ok - heard that some manufacturers are coming back next year

future looks good for wsb
Old 2 Aug 2004, 10:29 (Ref:1053885)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah things are definately picking up amazingly this year. 2004 has brought many people back to the series with great racing and fan friendly atmosphere.

With Kawasaki, Honda, Ducati, maybe Yamaha ans Suzuki factory semi factory teams in 2005, I cant wait
Old 2 Aug 2004, 12:38 (Ref:1054003)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Quote:
Originally posted by D.R.T.
Yeah things are definately picking up amazingly this year. 2004 has brought many people back to the series with great racing and fan friendly atmosphere.

With Kawasaki, Honda, Ducati, maybe Yamaha ans Suzuki factory semi factory teams in 2005, I cant wait
Seems like an optimistic forecast right now. Suzuki and Kawasaki will probably concentrate on their MotoGP projects, and there's no guarantee that Fila Ducati will renew their contract. As long as there's a reasonable field and close racing, it's not a disaster, and at least it keeps the series affordable for privateers and differentiates the series from MotoGP.
Old 2 Aug 2004, 13:39 (Ref:1054094)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paddock gossip that has appeared in some magazines indicate that PSG-1 (Chili) could be running Kawasaki's next year with some factory support, and Suzuki have supposedly sounded out DFX racing.

Whether it is official teams or some back-door support, if some of the top teams run different bikes, it can only be good. The way the Ten-Kate Honda is going against the works bikes, how well will a factory backed 1000cc four go.

Troy Corser is off contract at the end of the year, the way he is riding, where will he end up next year?

The way Chili is going, he is giving hope to all the riders out there that they have a long career ahead of them.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 03:58 (Ref:1054631)   #18
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
. from what i've heard it was Suzuki with PSG ..

Ciao Marco
Old 3 Aug 2004, 06:17 (Ref:1054689)   #19
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
an amazing event , I was just blown away with brands Hatch and the speed of the bikes was increddible.

is there any news on the rider who fell in the 2nd race ?

allthough there was no reply it looked quite serious and I hope he is ok.

Nitro Nori was the man on form but Chilli did a great job in race 2 especially after his race 1 get off.

simply superb stuff and the championship is looking awesome now.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 20:57 (Ref:1055550)   #20
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
The championship table looks fascinating now!

Laconi - 218
Vermeulen - 216
Haga - 212
Toseland - 210

8 points covering the top 4 riders

When was the last time the championship was this close? 2000 maybe with Edwards, Haga and Corser?
Old 4 Aug 2004, 11:02 (Ref:1056000)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
I think he broke his collarbone but nothing more - which is a real relief.

I can't wait for the final 3 rounds - it really coudl go to anyone, although I hope Haga takes it this year, to reward Renegade's rbavery in moving up, and make Fila look stupid for hiring a journeyman and a nobody. Vermuelen and Ten Kate deserve another title, but this won't be their last chance.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 21:05 (Ref:1056511)   #22
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
.........and make Fila look stupid for hiring a journeyman and a nobody.
I kind of agree.

Which one's which?
Old 5 Aug 2004, 08:17 (Ref:1056774)   #23
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Toseland is both

Ciao Marco
Old 6 Aug 2004, 00:47 (Ref:1057737)   #24
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They should have gotten Gazza.

Hey I wonder if Abe hurts himself more if they'll get Gazza on one of the MotoGp bikes - that would be cool! Go slideking!
Old 8 Aug 2004, 11:22 (Ref:1060024)   #25
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dani Filth
. from what i've heard it was Suzuki with PSG ..
zx10's mate