Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Aug 2020, 09:11 (Ref:3998007)   #26
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
True, it was a lot simpler when a team could just buy a Cosworth DFV, Goodyear tyres and Hewland gearbox. That certainly was low cost F1 with a difference
Old 26 Aug 2020, 10:38 (Ref:3998038)   #27
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
True, it was a lot simpler when a team could just buy a Cosworth DFV, Goodyear tyres and Hewland gearbox. That certainly was low cost F1 with a difference
Not to mention a March rolling chassis.
Old 26 Aug 2020, 11:08 (Ref:3998045)   #28
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I’m sure price isn’t a problem when it comes to Pirelli, I haven’t heard anything to say they are overcharging.
In many ways the price is set by how much the FIA etc. charge them for the privilege of supplying tyres. That’s many millions.
Old 26 Aug 2020, 11:20 (Ref:3998047)   #29
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
In many ways the price is set by how much the FIA etc. charge them for the privilege of supplying tyres. That’s many millions.

I can assure you that if the FIA was demanding a fee from the tyre manufacturers to supply their rubber that none of the suppliers would bother to tender for the contracts.

From what I understand, Pirelli charge the teams so that they can cover the cost of manufacturing the tyres (which also covers the small amount of testing that is allowed) and for transporting the tyres and supporting the teams during the year.
Old 26 Aug 2020, 11:51 (Ref:3998052)   #30
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I can assure you that if the FIA was demanding a fee from the tyre manufacturers to supply their rubber that none of the suppliers would bother to tender for the contracts.

From what I understand, Pirelli charge the teams so that they can cover the cost of manufacturing the tyres (which also covers the small amount of testing that is allowed) and for transporting the tyres and supporting the teams during the year.
Then, with respect, what you understand is completely wrong.

In decades in motorsport I have never heard of a control tyre supplier not paying the promoter!

You think the promoter just gives away the right to be seen as supplier to the world’s top racing series and be seen as such all over the planet. Would be rather naive.

When they tender for the contract, this is the FIRST thing looked for. How much will they pay us for the commercial benefits.

Imagine if you could supply F1 tyres and just charge your costs to the teams. Every single tyre company that ever existed would be tendering!
Old 26 Aug 2020, 15:26 (Ref:3998098)   #31
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
given that they are both a supplier and a sponsor i imagine the financial relationship is quite a bit more complicated then one party paying another party.

overall though i would guess that if there was a charge, Pirelli would still take in far far less money then they spend on development and track side advertising and transactions dont always have to involve money.

i had read somewhere that Pirelli's spends 100mil a year on its F1 program...no way the teams are spending 10mil/y each on its tire supply but that doesn't mean they are not paying something.

putting a Pirelli logo as a quid pro quo on their car is a loss of revenue in that they cant charge and different sponsor for that space, i would imagine separate arrangements have to be made for tire use during promotional filming days or rookie tests, or subsidizing of transport costs, or even a nominal cash value is exchanged so the the tax man applies the tax rate on the fee rather than the barter value of the entire deal.

fact is F1/FOM contracts are kept secret so none of us know, but i do know aint nothing free in this world!
Old 2 Sep 2020, 00:29 (Ref:3999537)   #32
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Pirelli come back with what went wrong with their tyres at the British GP.

Basically couldn't take the load on extended stints aggravated by losing pressure on kerb strikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=919sU9J7eJ4
Old 3 Jul 2021, 12:21 (Ref:4059545)   #33
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
So having accused RBR and Aston of doing something to game their tyres by running at lower than specified pressures Pirelli are now introducing upgraded tyres for Silverstone.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/982491...-positive-test
Old 3 Jul 2021, 12:27 (Ref:4059547)   #34
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Which team will the new construction favour?
Old 3 Jul 2021, 13:31 (Ref:4059564)   #35
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
So having accused RBR and Aston of doing something to game their tyres by running at lower than specified pressures Pirelli are now introducing upgraded tyres for Silverstone.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/982491...-positive-test
yep all the teams tried it in practice this weekend. Glad the teams aren’t whinging about the change.

Silverstone is very hard on tyres as we’ve seen.
Old 5 Jul 2021, 14:37 (Ref:4059958)   #36
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
yep all the teams tried it in practice this weekend. Glad the teams aren’t whinging about the change.

Silverstone is very hard on tyres as we’ve seen.

Hope they work at Silverstone. Last thing we need is repeat of last year or worse, 2013