Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Mar 2024, 01:27 (Ref:4202791)   #2176
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Brawn was run with a group with all these systems in place from the Tyrrell/BAR/Honda days... and had a fair clip of budget to keep the thing alive from Honda not wanting to shut the place. That said, there were only 2 Brawn tubs werent there?

Williams clearly found the coin to express airfreight the broken chassis tub back to Europe for repair, and to eventually send on to Japan...

Perhaps there is a timing issue of the software introduction, to replace Excel. Presumably its now multi user (which Excel can kinda handle but there are fleas...) and able to take on more and more detail and pukka batch recording and control. It could have been done to control parts on the '23 car.. maybe they figured it was a lot of work to do so for parts the team will never have use for again...

Wonder if it put anyone out of a gig to modernise this way. I somehow imagine a data entry operator keying into the Excel model from hell...
I'd happily work for a F1 team if it meant punching a bunch of data from Excel into a new program!

I'll take a small salary and attendance at each race on the calendar. Super cheap labour.
Old 26 Mar 2024, 03:42 (Ref:4202795)   #2177
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Perhaps there is a timing issue of the software introduction, to replace Excel.
This should be required reading for this topic...
https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/s...f1-revolution/

Effectively a video version of that article (previously posted a few pages back)...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WazUi6K4W6w

From the article...
Quote:
According to Vowles, the Excel spreadsheet was being migrated to a digital system at the same time the car’s “technology base” was going through its own colossal overhaul.

Unsurprisingly, doing both in tandem was a nightmare. Williams was completely changing how things were stored digitally within the organisation and the quantity of parts being produced to be logged in this new system people were unfamiliar with.

Delays led to workers having to sleep at the factory and effectively pull overnighters to get things ready. Vowles recalls the car was still just a big bag of bits by January, while Fry says: “If you go back to how we worked, whatever, 20 years ago, loads of bits would be late and someone will put their Superman underpants on over the outside of their trousers, rush round and save the day.

“We're still kind of working in that mode, really.
In short, the transition (which they are still in) has been painful. It sounds like they were just struggling to get two cars ready let along have appropriate spairs.

Introduction of anything like this doesn't create a well oiled machine overnight. It's not just about a specific tool, but the process it supports and in the end the thinking behind how you do all of this. See his culture comments below...
Quote:
Vowles reckons it’s a three-year process to get a 1000-strong workforce to fully adopt a new culture.
Quote:
Wonder if it put anyone out of a gig to modernise this way. I somehow imagine a data entry operator keying into the Excel model from hell...
Cultural and process change like this is likely will to result in organization restructuring.

Why do any of this?...
Quote:
Fry reckons Williams’s process of making a car is inefficient, leaving everything “massively late” without a good performance-based reason for that being the case. Williams signed off the relevant aero surfaces quite early in the process yet was still somehow scrambling around for parts late on.

That’s because the flawed processes caused a mountain of parts to pile up, delaying production. It wasted time, and wasn’t cost efficient either, which is relevant in F1’s budget cap era. Fry says what Williams managed to do this winter was “viciously expensive”
Richard
Old 26 Mar 2024, 08:14 (Ref:4202804)   #2178
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Regarding the cost of airfreighting the damaged chassis back and forth;if they have a thousand people on the payroll it is a minute portion of the budget and the probability is that they have already reserved some space on a flight for spares and updates for Japan.Of far greater concern ought to be that they have now spent far too much of the budget building two chassis in time for the season and the cost cap will severely limit will limit the freedom to update as the season progresses.It would also be unwise to cut corners with the progress of next year's car.Looks like a tough season ahead.
Old 26 Mar 2024, 14:40 (Ref:4202882)   #2179
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Williams lack of budget is still showing. I wonder if they will struggle to see out the season at this rate. Especially with the schedule this year
Old 26 Mar 2024, 15:31 (Ref:4202888)   #2180
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
Of far greater concern ought to be that they have now spent far too much of the budget building two chassis in time for the season and the cost cap will severely limit will limit the freedom to update as the season progresses.It would also be unwise to cut corners with the progress of next year's car.Looks like a tough season ahead.
I think this is a good point. See the comment from my post above (shown below)

Quote:
Fry says what Williams managed to do this winter was “viciously expensive”
I think this is inline with your comment that they spent too much money for not enough equipment. So to get the spares built will use money that might otherwise have been spent on ongoing development. If they operate with fewer spares over the duration of the season they can at least bring forward spares that sync up with development items. Meaning there may never be enough spares for start of season spec. But something like a spare tub (which would be valid all season) is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Williams lack of budget is still showing. I wonder if they will struggle to see out the season at this rate. Especially with the schedule this year
I think that is much more dire than their reality. I expect them to do the full season. But until they improve operational efficiency they will likely spend more money per unit output than is needed.

Also... sorry for the long winded posts recently. I need to work to trim them down. This one included.

Richard
Old 26 Mar 2024, 15:43 (Ref:4202891)   #2181
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Will Mr Sargeant’s commercial partners still pay for the equivalent of the cost of branding at the AGP if their preferred driver could not race because the team didn’t have their stuff together?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old Today, 00:27 (Ref:4203072)   #2182
Richard C
Veteran

Vowles answering questions regarding Australia race weekend and impacts on Japan...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-68PE61TjUY

Richard