Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Oct 2002, 14:55 (Ref:415469)   #1
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Results of todays FIA meeting

Here is a copy of the Reuters press release for you...

LONDON, Oct 28 (Reuters) - Formula One officials announced on Monday they would award points for the top eight places in grands prix compared with six at present to spice up motor racing after a season dominated by Ferrari.
Team orders, whereby a team decides which of its two drivers will finish ahead of the other, have been prohibited.
Two qualifying sessions will be introduced, on Friday and Saturday, with one qualifying lap for each car and cars to run one at a time. At present there is one hour of qualifying on a Saturday at grands prix.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 15:07 (Ref:415485)   #2
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And of course:

Tyre companies will be allowed to custom-make tyres for each team they supply.

Which means wealthy teams can get better tyres

Last edited by Marcel ten Caat; 28 Oct 2002 at 15:17.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 15:10 (Ref:415488)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Errr isn't that what I posted above?
Old 28 Oct 2002, 15:19 (Ref:415500)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
they're good ideas, but i don't know what effect they'll have on championships except give minardi a chance and reward teams who consistently finish.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 15:28 (Ref:415510)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
You are right Bella. Once again they failed to agree to limit aerodynaics and to make it easier to overtake. Shame on them!
Old 28 Oct 2002, 15:36 (Ref:415515)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
to say they were supposed to be cutting costs too they've not done a very good job of it....
Old 28 Oct 2002, 15:42 (Ref:415521)   #7
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my instinct too is that this will be more expensive not less and they haven't the guts or enough votes to impose the revised test arrangements - some midfield teams will get a few more points - and as you say Stephen there will not be more overtaking which is the crux of the matter
Old 28 Oct 2002, 15:43 (Ref:415523)   #8
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Hmm, I can't help thinking 'is that it?' for some reason- it all seems fairly sensible, but hardly the revolution Mosely claimed was needed.....
Old 28 Oct 2002, 15:44 (Ref:415524)   #9
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely there's more than that?
Old 28 Oct 2002, 15:44 (Ref:415525)   #10
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't like the change in the points system. The only thing it changes is that I will be less exited when Minardi score some points (or should I start waiting for a podiumm instead of a point).

I don't like the banning of team orders because I'm not fundamentally against team orders. And I'd like to know how they're going to police it.

The change in qualifying system might be fun. At least we get 2 full hours of qualifying instead of 35 minutes.

Considering the changes they could have made it's a rather dissapointing result.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 15:47 (Ref:415528)   #11
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
....and what's the point with the points? I can't see how that can make ANY material difference whatsoever. anybody know how points will be awarded? If they still start at 10 for a win, the gap between 1 and 2 will have to reduce, furhter removing the incentive to go for the win.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 15:52 (Ref:415535)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The points will be 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 to the top 8. according to Autosport.com
Friday's qualifying times will determine the order the cars run in the one hour one lap shootout session on Saturday to determine the gird.
Should be interesting if the track is drying out after morning rain!
Old 28 Oct 2002, 15:54 (Ref:415540)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
damn bureaucracy.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 16:05 (Ref:415554)   #14
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
One word:

PATHETIC
Old 28 Oct 2002, 16:10 (Ref:415560)   #15
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
You are right Bella. Once again they failed to agree to limit aerodynaics and to make it easier to overtake. Shame on them!
Sorry Stephen - but that wouldn't make much practical difference at the front... If it were the case that the second team (Williams, say) were right behind the front runners for laps at a time but unable to overtake for technical reasons then yes, this would do the trick. But. Face up to it - Montoya (for example) is not circulating one or two seconds behind Schumacher with ten laps to go... he's not within twenty seconds, let alone two.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 16:11 (Ref:415562)   #16
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The new points system might help Ralf Schumacher (Only Joking)

I am not suprised by the lack of changes. The qualifying changes could be interesting I s'pose!
Old 28 Oct 2002, 16:15 (Ref:415563)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Hard to believe that they sat down, reviewed the proposal and decided that this would actually make a difference.

It really is nothing more than "feel-good" legislation for the smaller teams. Can't wait till next season as I sit on the edge of my seat watching Minardi score 7 points for the season instead of 4. What drama!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 16:28 (Ref:415579)   #18
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Glen, the fact that Ferrari are dominating the series is but one problem it is facing. The lack of overtaking is something that has dogged the series for years now and they missed a golden opportunity to do something about it. Williams and McLaren will catch up with Ferrari sooner or later - they always do - but they will still struggle to race each other at that time and this is something that should have been addressed.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 16:29 (Ref:415581)   #19
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Changing the points does one very important thing - it gives more money to the lower teams. One basic problem in F1, partially addressed. If Minardi get seven points instead of four they get fourteen million dollars instead of eight (or whatever the reward is) - that might not be very exciting to the casual observer, but it's life or death for a team like Minardi, and it coud mean the difference between being able to test or not (Minardi currently cannot afford to test).

Qualifying changes also will address another issue - predictability. With each runner allotted a slot (and indeed with the sequence reversed on Saturday) the qualifying session will be far more of a lottery and will definately result in some surprise grids. Which, naturally, will lead to much more overtaking in the opening stages. I'd go so far as to suggest that the resultant increase in overtaking will be greater than the potential increase if aerodynamics were altered - because under this rule the overtaking will come about through cars being in the "wrong" place on the track (due to bad luck in the qualifying draw) rather than the impossible situation of a slower car not being able to get on terms with the quicker car in front, as we have now.

So - it seems limp-wristed but there might be more to it than you think.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 16:35 (Ref:415589)   #20
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1 lap qually. A bigger joke even than driver swapping. At least the latter was OBVIOUS that it wasn't serious.

I've already given my 9-point plan on many occasions and none of the proposals have been taken up, most notably the "prize" money.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 16:40 (Ref:415596)   #21
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bang goes the recorded history camparisons.

Apart from the odd change of a point for fastest lap, pole position et al over the years, F1 scoring has been top six for many years. What is possibly the point of changing it now? They should at least have kept the 4 point gap between 1st and 2nd place.

You can look at it two ways, either the win has been cheapened or second made more lucrative. I can't deicide which.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 16:45 (Ref:415601)   #22
Glen
Veteran

Craig

Whilst I agree that this issue will become more relevant if and when the second and third placed teams come up a bit closer to Ferrari, I strongly believe that not very much can be done about it in the short term. A major revision of technical regs coudn't be put in place until the following year anyway (and maybe they should be working towards that).

To me this is more about F1 being so consistent these days that a basic difference in car performance just canot be overcome over a whole season. Or rather it can only be overcome by improving your car without the other team improving theirs, which doesn't happen very often.

Now, if you change the money in F1 - for example by awarding points further down the field - you at least begin to give the other teams the means to get faster. And then they can worry about overtaking.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 16:48 (Ref:415607)   #23
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
I'm sorry but desperate times call for desperate measures - and the 'show' that they put on nowadays is, I'm sure you'll agree, pretty desperate. Even if they cannot introduce a drastic rule change for 2003 then they should have announced something for 2004 or even 2005. Everyone at that meeting today was well aware that they needed to put the politics aside and work together for the future of the sport and I can't help feeling that they have all missed a great opportunity to spice up the show. Wonder when they will all sit down again with changes in mind ? Not for quite a while I'd imagine...
Old 28 Oct 2002, 16:52 (Ref:415613)   #24
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Thank god the silliest of the ideas did not get implemented. I expect the gap to Ferrari to be closer based on the points system alone.

Hehehe... I like the part about team orders being banned. As if they will have any way of knowing who is or isn't implementing them.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 16:57 (Ref:415619)   #25
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Exactly. With the teams being able to control the electronics which dictate engine revs and the like from the pits the FIA will have absolutely no idea who is sandbagging.

At least Austria was 'honest'