Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 2 Jul 2002, 22:37 (Ref:326209)   #1
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Engine Building for Closed Regs

its a well known fact that some engines are better than others.

a closed formula such as FF or Frenault or clios all have the same engine, but may have different builders of engines.
some are better than others. as much as 10% more power in some compared to others! which is a LOT.

So wot makes the engines a little better than others?
as they are all basically the same... just wot is it!? lol
Old 2 Jul 2002, 23:44 (Ref:326227)   #2
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
solus do something different to their zetec engines because but I cant tell you what but it is a good idea and everyone else should do it.

Renault are totally closed if engine is down on power you send it back and another one with the right amount of power comes back
Old 3 Jul 2002, 10:43 (Ref:326384)   #3
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I race in a one make class and the main difference between fast and slow is how much effort you put in to every different part in the engine.
Every piece needs to be the best one for the job it has to do.
Like:
If a piston pin can be a bit lighter and still do its job.
If you have to run a standard inlet manifold you have to find the best one as the castings will be different and the ones cast on a monday may not flow as well as the ones cast on a friday (or vice versa)
What are the best bearing clearances?

In one make racing the engine builders are after money (who isn't) and if one of their engines is winning everyone wants one of their engines.
But they may have only built one good engine (the winning one) and all the others could be dogs!
The only way you can be sure is to build your own engine.
It can be a lot of fun beating people when they have a top dollar engine and you have built your own!
Old 4 Jul 2002, 08:03 (Ref:326882)   #4
boyracer
Racer

boyracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Morris.
You need to find the best bits available off the production line.
Factory Group N (Rally car) engines are built like this. They stop the production line, walk along and pick out the best bits.
Then it comes down to blueprinting. Polishing the inside of all the castings to reduce oil drag, windage trays, deeper sumps, line boring all tunnels, even the cam journals. Accurate setting of all valve springs to one another (a weak valvespring will lose power on the cylinder at high revs and it doesn't have to be much). Balancing all con-rods, weighting them the same. Even to the extent of boring the block so that the bores are the correct offset from the crank centerline (In most cases you are allowed a small overbore and if money isn't a problem then why not ??, just get another block next time you have to rebuild). I could go on but I think you get the idea.