Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 4 Jan 2003, 17:29 (Ref:463686)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Moreno to Herdez !

Just put up on CART.com...

Keith Wiggins, the managing director and minority partner for Herdez Competition, confirmed that Moreno has been signed to run alongside Dominguez in the BPCCWSPBF.

It's a win-win-win situation for Dominguez, Herdez and CART.

"It's going to be a great help for Mario and it will help the team as well," said Wiggins. "From the standpoint of CART, it also gives them another known driver and a guy who is really good with the fans and media.

"We're still working on a few deals to make it secure, but we're definitely running two cars in 2003 and Roberto starts testing next week at Sebring."

Adding another car required more personnel and Herdez hired 11 new employees. Vince Kremer has been named overall team manager and Wiggins said other people from within the team have been promoted.

Old 4 Jan 2003, 17:36 (Ref:463691)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brilliant! An established talented driver who was unlucky not to be involved last year, who can help develop the team and teach Dominguez some things, and of course is a known name to help with series publicity.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 18:11 (Ref:463706)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Awesome!

What would Cart be without at least 1 short Brazilian driver?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 4 Jan 2003, 18:35 (Ref:463717)   #4
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic news; I think I'll go celebrate with a couple of Corona's or maybe Tecate's and some fine Herdez Salsa.
Good for Dominguez also, Moreno can definitely help him.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 4 Jan 2003, 21:05 (Ref:463807)   #5
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Moreno definately deserves to drive. It was a crime he didn't have a ride last year. It's nice to see a guy with so many years of racing who still gets so excited and wants to win.

I think a lot of these teams with rookies are going to struggle. You've got to have an experienced driver aboard.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 21:16 (Ref:463822)   #6
Minardi4eva
Rookie

Minardi4eva should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought that old geezer retired.....
Old 4 Jan 2003, 21:45 (Ref:463852)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
WOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO , the best news to come out of CART so far this off season

Go get em Roberto
Old 4 Jan 2003, 21:48 (Ref:463855)   #8
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No real surpirse to see the announcement finally made, Moreno told us he was practically a shoe in last November in Mexico City.

It's great to have him back in the series and should ensure some good results for Herdez who are a good team of people. Maybe a dark horse for the championship here.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 22:26 (Ref:463901)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I knew that in Mexico City but I'm glad you all know it now! Hurrah for Herdez and Moreno both and I look forward to interviewing them in 2003.

[BAD MANNERS]And to anybody from 7th Gear who called me "stupid" when I said this was a done deal back then:

HAHAHAHAHAHA! [/BAD MANNERS]
Old 4 Jan 2003, 22:53 (Ref:463919)   #10
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moreno will definetely help Dominguez and Herdez to the next step.. which is being in the top 5 in dry races...
Old 4 Jan 2003, 23:22 (Ref:463954)   #11
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Great news for CART. Look forward to Moreno's driving with humour and humility!
Old 5 Jan 2003, 00:24 (Ref:464002)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good to have Roberto Moreno, he is someone that can really drive

Let's just hope the team can break out of their pattern from recent seasons, and be able to present a reliable car?

BTW- speaking of certain things announced at Mexico, wasn't everyone certain that Emmo would be fielding a team?
Old 5 Jan 2003, 01:12 (Ref:464047)   #13
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yay!!!!
Old 5 Jan 2003, 01:17 (Ref:464050)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fantastic news. Roberto should never have even been left off the grid, but it's great to see him back for 2003. He's one of the most popular drivers in the paddock and will be a bonus to the whole Herdez operation.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 01:55 (Ref:464071)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plus he will prevent PT from being the oldest driver on the grid.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 03:14 (Ref:464099)   #16
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like Moreno, good to see him get the drive.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 04:15 (Ref:464122)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The 3 time Australian Grand Prix winner has done himself and his fans in Australia proud....

Moreno will drag that team up by the bootstraps, as long as the levels of technical resources of the right kind are in place to help it happen.

Go Roberto you champion!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Jan 2003, 11:46 (Ref:464338)   #18
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moreno is great, just the sort of driver we need in Champcar. This also means, that assuming NH has a second driver (which IMO they most certainly will have...), Champcar has reached 18 cars, possibly with some more to come
Old 5 Jan 2003, 12:19 (Ref:464375)   #19
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moreno is thge whole package....good guy with everyone, good driver, a veteran the series and that team needs. When you read this whole thread, there isn't one single negative anyone has to say about him.

And Liz, take an "attagirl"...good gotcha on the 7th Graders!
Old 5 Jan 2003, 17:54 (Ref:464606)   #20
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
DNQ, when you said "assuming NH has a second driver, Champcar has reached 18 cars," who are you adding to this list?

1 Forsythe - Tracy
2 Forsythe - Carpentier
3 Fernandez - Fernandez
4 Rahal - Jourdain
5 Patrick - Servia
6 Coyne - Camathias
7 Walker - Gonzales
8 Walker - Lavin
9 Rocketsports - TBA
10 Johannson - TBA
11 Johannson - TBA
12 Conquest - Haberfeld
13 Herdez - Dominguez
14 Herdez - Moreno
15 N/Haas - Junqueira

I don't feel comfortable adding a second N/Haas car just yet. I don't want to build my hopes up too high. Likewise any second car at Patrick. As for Pantano? I have no idea what BC Motorsports is all about.

But things are lookin' good nonetheless!
Old 5 Jan 2003, 18:32 (Ref:464636)   #21
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From Cart.com:
“Having two new drivers is something we haven't done during my time here,” said Newman/Haas General Manager Brian Lisles.

I was concerned like you until recently. They talk about it like it's a done deal.

Tag is looking SOL. I hope that BC Motorsports thing goes through.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 19:01 (Ref:464669)   #22
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newmann-Haas kind of puzzle me...I think they must have some sponsorship in the works, but they've been keeping it a secret to get as much out of Cart as they can. That said, they seem to take it as a given that they'll have two cars on the grid in St. Petes.

That's about right macdaddy, although I'm not even 100% sure about Lavin (but Walker will have two cars guaranteed).

Anyway, I think we'll easily have the 18 cars required, so now the real work begins!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 5 Jan 2003, 19:24 (Ref:464692)   #23
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Here's my very optimistic list...

16 N/Haas - Tagliani or Zonta
17 Forsythe Championship - Yoong
18 Forsythe Championship - Herbert
19 Patrick - Herta
20 BC Motorsports - Pantano
Old 5 Jan 2003, 20:34 (Ref:464753)   #24
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Looking at the list of drivers I'm not super impressed. I still can't figure out why Lotterer isn't a shoe in for some ride. It seems like there are a lot of decent guys, but few who make me excited to see them race (out of the first 15).
Old 5 Jan 2003, 23:49 (Ref:464921)   #25
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll agree with macdaddy concerning Forsythe Championship. They appear to be very confident about having one car, even two, if sponsorship dollars comes through. Patrick is also confident of a second car, and putting Herta in the seat might just get a couple of sponsors lined up.

Newman/Haas, IMO, is a done deal. They are just waiting for the right time to announce it.