Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 9 Oct 2003, 11:18 (Ref:745047)   #1
edmund
Rookie

edmund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anyone seen a timetable for donnington 18th october?

i've read the thread on britcar and it looks like it might be a verylate finish. anyone seen a timetable yet?
Old 9 Oct 2003, 11:40 (Ref:745075)   #2
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not seen the timings, but this is what's on over the two days according to the Donington Website!

The final rounds of various car race championships including: Porsche Open, Porsche Classic, Radical Enduro (Radicals are open sportscars), Radical Bi-Duro, Formula Palmer Audi, ARP Formula 3, On-Track Experience Porsche 924, Sports 2000 and Sports 2000 Pro Series.
Old 9 Oct 2003, 11:44 (Ref:745082)   #3
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmmm, I'd seen that one too. I understand that the BritCar race is going to happen on the Saturday night but no-one seems to have a definite timetable of events for the weekend. It could be a long one though!
Old 9 Oct 2003, 12:21 (Ref:745132)   #4
Muttley
Rookie

Muttley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Folks, I'm trying to locate a timetable aswell, the phrase about Rocking Horse droppings comes to mind.

To quote from the Britcar tread:
"It is now confirmed that the whole thing will be wrapped-up on Saturday evening. Qualifying 17.20 to 17.50, then form up immediately on the grid for the 100 minute race."

So a 6pm start for a 1hr 40 race, the way things are at the moment it's going to be a late one!
Old 9 Oct 2003, 14:42 (Ref:745306)   #5
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
yeh...at least 10pm finish then!!
Old 9 Oct 2003, 15:06 (Ref:745331)   #6
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport magazine did have a story a couple of weeks ago (I think) that said that the Britcars were having an evening race, so I guess this is it. Silverstone/Snetterton style torches, dayglo bibs and lights to be issued at sign on then (for those of you that remember the toca night races!).
Old 9 Oct 2003, 15:08 (Ref:745335)   #7
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Green
...Silverstone/Snetterton style torches, dayglo bibs and lights to be issued at sign on then (
Standard issue for Donny!!
Old 9 Oct 2003, 15:56 (Ref:745391)   #8
edmund
Rookie

anyone not going then?
Old 9 Oct 2003, 16:22 (Ref:745415)   #9
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
I've enjoyed what I've seen of the Britcars this year - they have been on the programme at a couple of our JCC events and have been quite entertaining!
I might ask if I could turn up at midday and then stay until the end!!
Old 9 Oct 2003, 18:04 (Ref:745538)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So: You volunteer at the start of the year for the meeting, maybe March or thereabouts. 2 days before the meeting I assume everyone has their passes, but no timetable or instructions. If you don't read Autosport or subscribe to 10-10ths, you're going to turn up on Saturday and find for the first time you're there until 10pm.

Worse scenario - you've been spectating fairly frequently during the year. At the BTCC meeting you got talking to some of the marshals because you think you might like to have a go, and they've suggested this meeting as a good place to start. Would you come again?

Re the marshals' wish list thread. The answer is information. Good information, in plenty of time to plan the rest of your life. To all those who say we shouldn't moan about these meetings, we know what to expect, just don't volunteer if that's how you feel, err... actually, when we volunteer we don't know what to expect, and unless you're well connected, you don't know until you arrive, and if you're doing a 90+mile round trip are you going to stay stuff it and turn round and go back, put up with it or raise it at sign on to be told "If that's how you feel, don't do it."

End of rant, sorry.

Last edited by Woolley; 9 Oct 2003 at 18:05.
Old 9 Oct 2003, 20:38 (Ref:745665)   #11
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look on the bright side, 100 minutes will take 100 minutes, safety car or not.

100 laps, even without safety car periods, can take an indeterminate time.
Old 9 Oct 2003, 20:49 (Ref:745676)   #12
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
You volunteer at the start of the year for the meeting, maybe March or thereabouts. 2 days before the meeting I assume everyone has their passes, but no timetable or instructions. If you don't read Autosport or subscribe to 10-10ths, you're going to turn up on Saturday and find for the first time you're there until 10pm.
Woolley, this isn't for THIS weekend, but for the 18th, while I admit that lack of a timetable is frustrating, the latest this should finish is 8pm so no-one forget their torches BTW, those who are spectating (like myself) are in just the same position, but just not there for 12hrs+ - Been there too many times for it too faze me anymore
Old 9 Oct 2003, 21:46 (Ref:745737)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oops sorry, crossed threads, although I expect it will still be relevant - I was intending to suggest that this is the sort of information you need before volunteering. At least if you're spectating you can sleep thorugh some of it, or just turn up later if you feel like it.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 07:49 (Ref:746019)   #14
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Right then, here is the situation from the horses mouth (John Sadler - Chief Marshal for BRSCC). I spoke to John last night and he told me that he was at a meeting on Wednesday where the timetable was still not finalised. The suggested timetable is usual sign on time (7.30 ish) and then this 100 minute race at the end of the day. John is not happy that marshals are being asked to work these long hours and I told him that if when the timetable is put together it stays like that then not to bother sending me any tickets.

Don't know what the rest of you think, but to be asked to work longer hours for free than I do during the week and get paid for it is too much.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 08:58 (Ref:746083)   #15
edmund
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by mark_l
Look on the bright side, 100 minutes will take 100 minutes, safety car or not.

100 laps, even without safety car periods, can take an indeterminate time.
yeah right but 100 minutes after 6 pm makes it a very late finish. couldnt someone have organised thetimetable so that some of the practises on the saturday were shifted to the sunday and start the saturday later? that way we wouldnt have a long day and a late finish wouldnt matter too much
Old 10 Oct 2003, 09:14 (Ref:746091)   #16
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I can gather BRSCC HQ produced a timetable a couple of weeks ago that the regional centre bounced back saying was unworkable. Up to now because they are "busy" with the FF festival they have not responded.
This is from a Club that wants to centralise ALL of its race organisation next year.

On the marshalling side, would it not be feasable to offer the choice of two "shifts" for the event
ie 8:00am-2:00pm
or
2:00pm-8:00pm

Wecould make a choice then - either early start/finish or later start/finish??
Old 10 Oct 2003, 10:33 (Ref:746140)   #17
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
On the marshalling side, would it not be feasable to offer the choice of two "shifts" for the event
That would be a good idea but you wouldnt have enough people to do that, you will be lucky to get enough to cover one shift let alone two
Old 10 Oct 2003, 11:19 (Ref:746178)   #18
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
I got the distinct impression that John isn't expecting anyone to turn up!!
Old 10 Oct 2003, 11:36 (Ref:746198)   #19
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think he will be far wrong
Old 10 Oct 2003, 11:38 (Ref:746203)   #20
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
You and Maria going or are you coming to Mallory with me?
Old 10 Oct 2003, 14:40 (Ref:746375)   #21
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
I've just been told that Autosport is referring to this meeting as the "Donington 100" on account of there is a 100 minute race and TWO 100 lap Radical races included in the weekend's events.

THREE enduro races in one meeting?
Old 10 Oct 2003, 16:10 (Ref:746456)   #22
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by delta25
TWO 100 lap Radical races included in the weekend's events.
The perfect cure for insomnia!
Old 10 Oct 2003, 16:28 (Ref:746479)   #23
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im going to America on holiday so I will miss it !!!!!!!
Old 12 Oct 2003, 14:38 (Ref:748375)   #24
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
THREE enduro races in one meeting?
I believe that apart from the 100min Britcars & 2 x 30 min radicals, most of the other races are 12/15 laps
Old 12 Oct 2003, 22:21 (Ref:748815)   #25
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From www.eerc.co.uk (This appears to be the afternoon only) :

The Bruichladdich Radical Enduro Championship (Race A) Race 1 12.35 30 Laps
On-Track Experience Porsche 924 Championship (Race A) Race 2 13.25 20 min
Formula Palmer Audi (Session 1) Qualifying 13.55 20 min
Radical Travelworld Biduro Championship (Race A) Race 3 14.25 12 Laps
SRCC Sports 2000 Championship Qualifying 14.55 20 min
Michelin Porsche Open Series Qualifying 15.25 15 min
DACS ARP F3 Championship Qualifying 15.50 20 min
Formula Palmer Audi Championship (Session 2) Qualifying 16.20 20 min
Michelin Porsche Club Championship Qualifying 16.50 15 mins
Britcar Donington 100 Qualifying 17.15 45 mins
Britcar Donington 100 Race 4 18.10 100 mins