Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 7 Dec 2000, 14:19 (Ref:51490)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the latest issue of On Track they report that the injuries sustained by Andrew Bordin at Fontana October 29th may well end his racing career. He was giving demonstration drives for VIPs in an Acura (nee Honda) NSX when a halfshaft failure occurred. The car spun into the wall. Bordin suffered a fractured and dislocated fourth vertabrae that required surgery to repair. Doctors have told him that he cannot suffer another hard injury to the neck for fear of more permanent damage.

Bordin and his passenger, Yoshimichi Inada, Pioneer Electronics senior managing director, were not wearing helmets while on the track. Mr. Inada suffered a fractured skull. Both are doing well at this time.

I don't understand why they were allowed to tke to the circuit without helmets. That is not very bright from them or the officials.
Old 7 Dec 2000, 14:48 (Ref:51496)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!

he wasn't supposed to have been going that fast in the first place. but admittedly, it's not smart to have those cars out there on a superspeedway without skid lids.

it's a shame, cause he seemed like quite an entertaining person.
Old 7 Dec 2000, 17:43 (Ref:51514)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At this stage of his life he should be thinking of that poor fellow in the IRL who is paralyzed from his accident - they told him (according to Inside Track interview) that if he has another big accident the same could very likely happen to him. The loss of a racing career is one thing; the loss of effective life is another. Although we Canadians had high hopes for him, it's his life and that comes first.

I think he's wise to give it serious thought. And I also agree that anyone who races without a helmet and appropriate protective gear is courting disaster. Just because they don't force you to wear it, doesn't mean you can't use common sense.
Old 8 Dec 2000, 00:53 (Ref:51571)   #4
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by KC

I don't understand why they were allowed to tke to the circuit without helmets. That is not very bright from them or the officials.

sorry for them, but they really must be considerd for a darwin award honorable mention.

Old 8 Dec 2000, 02:12 (Ref:51576)   #5
craigmanning
Rookie

United Kingdom
Toronto Canada
craigmanning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...Andrew's a pretty cool guy, flamboyant, and a good racer. I understand he had an appointment with Dr. Trammell recently in Indianapolis. I would imagine Andrew is going through the decision process just about now as to whether or not he should continue racing. Even though he's quite young himself he had already put money into creating steps for other young racers to make their way in racing. He does own his own race team too. This leads me to beleive that if he does retire from the cockpit we'll still see him at the track perhaps in another capacity?...
Old 8 Dec 2000, 03:10 (Ref:51585)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be great if he could keep in the swim of racing! He's a great ambassador and would be in any capacity.

It's hell not to be able to drive, but you do learn to cope. And sometimes if you can speed someone else's dream, it helps a lot. Andrew will flourish, I'm sure.
Old 8 Dec 2000, 10:01 (Ref:51602)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
we must keep that hairdo in the sport! if only for frightening the children...

it's interesting, you know. now players have dropped the ladder thing they had, it seems that there's a structure there already to help young drivers. and they all seem to be helping each other. interesting, because this doesn't happen here. it's each man for himself, or so it seems. a lot of canadian drivers seem to enjoy putting something back into the sport.
Old 8 Dec 2000, 23:29 (Ref:51676)   #8
bobdrummond
Racer

bobdrummond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you've got a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet
Old 9 Dec 2000, 02:40 (Ref:51698)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Tell that to Wayne Gretzky.
Old 9 Dec 2000, 03:44 (Ref:51702)   #10
craigmanning
Rookie

United Kingdom
Toronto Canada
craigmanning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
......ooh, good one Liz!
Old 12 Dec 2000, 14:59 (Ref:52086)   #11
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
this is the first i have heard of this..I read the topic heading and thought "No way what is he thinking" and now I have read the post and realize why

what a shame but as mentioned it was a bit silly not to be wearing a helmet..I like the guys driving stlye and he seems pretty good with the camera as well and from what i saw this year had a very promising future ahead of him.

big decidion time for him ..but what would you do ????