Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 30 Jan 2023, 13:49 (Ref:4142215)   #126
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Having 'one' set of rules is one thing, running combined races is another. You guys keep forgetting how much of a mess it was back in '11 with the combined ILMC race, race control got all in a tizzy when a ILMC entrant would collide with an ALMS one and both sanctioning bodies vowed to never do it again.

Besides, a combined event will only work at a non-marque IMSA event which very much rules out the current Michelin Endurance Cup tracks (Indy rumored to be added in '24).

Also, WEC will probably use air freight courtesy of Qatar to transport all their stuff from Europe to US to Asia considering the timelines.
Old 30 Jan 2023, 15:54 (Ref:4142227)   #127
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah that 2011 Sebring is the elephant in the room and it's 257 podium ceremonies.

There's ways to make it all work but it all comes back to egos. It will end up with the ACO controlling 100% of a worse show somewhere else, rather than simply being a guest at the coolest party in town.
Old 30 Jan 2023, 16:12 (Ref:4142231)   #128
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you can put GTP teams and cars (minor modded) into Le Mans why not put LMH cars plus GTP (plus LMP2 IMSA and possibly WEC and/or LMP3) into a single race under IMSA rules)? And race GTD etc from both on the day before or whatever suits US tv best for 2 x 12 hour races.

Single races every position counts and single podium for overall etc. You can score how you like but any cars not running IMSA season in top class etc get points that that don’t really go anywhere. Do a WEC score the same way - make positions count.

Would be good to see LMH at Rolex but could not do the 2nd race above. Drafting chains like in the MX5 events not really a feature in the 24.

Is Michelin endurance cup a competition entirely within IMSA Weathertech just at the longer events? Isn’t that just an example of scoring a single race two ways?
Old 30 Jan 2023, 17:58 (Ref:4142244)   #129
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep, the Michelin Endurance Cup is a series of 4 races within the WeatherTech series.

Michelin Endurance Cup
Old 31 Jan 2023, 10:32 (Ref:4142291)   #130
Toyotats03OUS
Veteran

United States
U.S.A
Toyotats03OUS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is off topic, but does anybody knows where can I buy tickets for the 1000 of Sebring? I can’t find them anywhere. I can see tickets for the IMSA 12 hours of Sebring through the race track website and the IMSA website, but can not find the WEC tickets anywhere.

The second question. IMSA has tickets for Friday and Saturday events, would I be able to access the WEC events/race with this ticket? Or you will need to have the appropriate ticket for each event/series. The WEC race is on Friday so I’m wondering if I will be able to access this race with the IMSA ticket for Friday and Saturday.

Thank you in advance
Old 31 Jan 2023, 10:36 (Ref:4142292)   #131
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotats03OUS View Post
This is off topic, but does anybody knows where can I buy tickets for the 1000 of Sebring? I can’t find them anywhere. I can see tickets for the IMSA 12 hours of Sebring through the race track website and the IMSA website, but can not find the WEC tickets anywhere.

The second question. IMSA has tickets for Friday and Saturday events, would I be able to access the WEC events/race with this ticket? Or you will need to have the appropriate ticket for each event/series. The WEC race is on Friday so I’m wondering if I will be able to access this race with the IMSA ticket for Friday and Saturday.

Thank you in advance
You just buy tickets from Sebring themselves which will get you everything on that given day. So a Friday ticket would get you access for WEC.
Old 31 Jan 2023, 11:20 (Ref:4142294)   #132
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally, can't get worked up about anything at Indy; not even sure I want to do the 500.

WEC heading to the sunshine and money of the Middle East ? Meh, I'd rather watch those cars round Spa or even the oft-derided Silverfence than the latest Middle East tarmac-drome.

But Watkins Glen, Road America, Mid Ohio are on the bucket list ...
Old 31 Jan 2023, 13:37 (Ref:4142305)   #133
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL17 View Post
If you can put GTP teams and cars (minor modded) into Le Mans why not put LMH cars plus GTP (plus LMP2 IMSA and possibly WEC and/or LMP3) into a single race under IMSA rules)? And race GTD etc from both on the day before or whatever suits US tv best for 2 x 12 hour races.

Single races every position counts and single podium for overall etc. You can score how you like but any cars not running IMSA season in top class etc get points that that don’t really go anywhere. Do a WEC score the same way - make positions count.

Would be good to see LMH at Rolex but could not do the 2nd race above. Drafting chains like in the MX5 events not really a feature in the 24.

Is Michelin endurance cup a competition entirely within IMSA Weathertech just at the longer events? Isn’t that just an example of scoring a single race two ways?
You are completely dismissing those who pay to run as peons beneath your concern and frankly any series that does that to a premier event isn't going to last long.

The GTD only events are to accommodate tracks where GTPs might not work as well, Lime Rock and ViR, and the GT pros not at Detroit to allow for LM prep. They didn't suddenly kick teams out of the series for a desired event, especially an event the teams can sell a seat or 2 extra to another Silver to fund the team. You would be cutting off the financial supply for teams to make your desire of 2 series with 2 very different goals.

Oh and your LM argument is a fallacy at its base, the entire IMSA field is not invited so merging is not even close to the same thing.
Old 31 Jan 2023, 15:14 (Ref:4142310)   #134
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotats03OUS View Post

Thank you in advance
You would think this day and age, people are able to at least look at the official website, available tickets are easy to find on SIR's official website...

BTW, 4 day admission is only $10 more than a 2-day one (115 vs 105) so maybe pack early and arrive Wed or Thu?
Old 31 Jan 2023, 16:01 (Ref:4142312)   #135
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see the attraction from a marketing point of view of going to Indy but from a fans point of view it gives me zero enthusiasm. The road course at Indy is just not very exciting imo.
Old 1 Feb 2023, 02:12 (Ref:4142358)   #136
Coach Ep
Veteran

I like the IndyCar road course race though and with that track being only 2.4 miles in length (assuming they'll use the IndyCar layout, SRO did so for last year's 8H race) it might actually produce some good racing, especially with the packed top class in 2024.

The lap record is 1:09.38 (Newgarden) so I'd expect the Hypercars to do it in 1:15ish (the GT3 qualy lap record is 1:22.1).
Old 1 Feb 2023, 17:45 (Ref:4142429)   #137
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
You are completely dismissing those who pay to run as peons beneath your concern and frankly any series that does that to a premier event isn't going to last long.

The GTD only events are to accommodate tracks where GTPs might not work as well, Lime Rock and ViR, and the GT pros not at Detroit to allow for LM prep. They didn't suddenly kick teams out of the series for a desired event, especially an event the teams can sell a seat or 2 extra to another Silver to fund the team. You would be cutting off the financial supply for teams to make your desire of 2 series with 2 very different goals.

Oh and your LM argument is a fallacy at its base, the entire IMSA field is not invited so merging is not even close to the same thing.
Of course whole IMSA field is not invited. Main way is for full WEC season entries for LMHh cars, plus invites from ACO, series winners and believe IMSA have a few spaces.

My main question is why LMH cars are not going into some of the IMSA Weathertech events?

Daytona Rolex has 60 odd cars, Sebring has recently ranged from 38 to 53 I believe and some events like Long Beach GP seem to have a much smaller field below 30? Plus there are the GTD circuit events. (11 races only 6 with all 5 classes). Some events also exclude LMP2 & LMP3.

So could LMH teams get a thrid car homogolated for IMSA Weathertech and
only do a few races (i.e. get invites for Rolex and Sebring) or would they need to commit to full season for their class? The Sebring IMSA Weathertech format has been in place for 10 years or so
Old 2 Feb 2023, 13:53 (Ref:4142511)   #138
Coach Ep
Veteran

I'm surprised to see the likes of Kvyat and Mazapin being announced as drivers, are the sanctions against Russian drivers lifted or made less restrictive?
Old 2 Feb 2023, 14:05 (Ref:4142515)   #139
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I'm surprised to see the likes of Kvyat and Mazapin being announced as drivers, are the sanctions against Russian drivers lifted or made less restrictive?
Looking at worldwide sport it feels like as long as you're not representing Russia/Belarus then you're good to go. Whether that's running under a neutral banner or competing for another nation.

EDIT: There's also an FIA declaration drivers have had to sign.

Last edited by Simmi; 2 Feb 2023 at 14:16.
Old 2 Feb 2023, 14:07 (Ref:4142518)   #140
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gryazin has been competing in WRC under "ANA"
Old 2 Feb 2023, 15:16 (Ref:4142528)   #141
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL17 View Post
Of course whole IMSA field is not invited. Main way is for full WEC season entries for LMHh cars, plus invites from ACO, series winners and believe IMSA have a few spaces.

My main question is why LMH cars are not going into some of the IMSA Weathertech events?

Daytona Rolex has 60 odd cars, Sebring has recently ranged from 38 to 53 I believe and some events like Long Beach GP seem to have a much smaller field below 30? Plus there are the GTD circuit events. (11 races only 6 with all 5 classes). Some events also exclude LMP2 & LMP3.

So could LMH teams get a thrid car homogolated for IMSA Weathertech and
only do a few races (i.e. get invites for Rolex and Sebring) or would they need to commit to full season for their class? The Sebring IMSA Weathertech format has been in place for 10 years or so
If Toyota were to ask for LMH entry to IMSA, likely as a Lexus if we're honest, they would likely be allowed. But as of yet Toyota NA has not been able to get the home office to sign off

GTD events are run at tracks where GTP would not be as racey, Lime Rock would be entertaining as time trial but not so much the racing itself. But trying to argue there are events that leave out some classes, often by participants' request, is an Marmite to roast beef argument. Yes people like each but no one is paying roast beef price for Marmite, and teams an sell the roast of Daytona, Sebring, Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta FAR easier than 100 min on a track they can run club cars on fairly often. And remember Daytona had a cap with extra cars left off the list so no, there aren't open spaces for more cars just floating out there to be grabbed up.
Old 1 Mar 2024, 14:17 (Ref:4199100)   #142
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Thread bump!

Roger Penske claims that the FIA WEC is unlikely to race at Indianapolis in the short term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Captain
I don’t have anything to announce, I don’t think we are ready to do something in the next 24 months
https://racer.com/2024/03/01/penske-...-race-at-indy/
Old 1 Mar 2024, 14:18 (Ref:4199102)   #143
tomcug
Veteran

tomcug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very good news, that track is bad for multiclass racing.
Old 1 Mar 2024, 14:39 (Ref:4199114)   #144
Coach Ep
Veteran

US round likely to be held @ CotA next year then (as the 2024 deal is rumored to contain an option to extend into 2025) - which isn't a great prospect either. As boring/bad of a road course Indy might be, a double header with IMSA in late summer/early fall would have been better than a stand alone event in the scorching Texan heat.

Not that the series cares about attendance anyway (as this weekend shows).