Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jan 2023, 01:10 (Ref:4140346)   #2051
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I'm curious about the emergence of a Mercedes involvement at Williams , or more specifically a Wolff one.

Wolf-Williams Racing.
Oh we're just bring back nostalgia, remembering a F1 brand that won GP's....
Wolff-Williams Racing.
No we're bringing back memories from a previous reserve driver...
TWolff -Williams Racing.
Oh just memories of a previous investor....

Renaming the team wouldn't be a problem at all.
The only people who would have a problem with it are those in the UK who remember Wiliams as the powerhouse team it was 1980-1995.
Look at the years of Cooper, McLaren, BRM, and Lotus as a powerhouse organisations in the 58-80's and while there is nostalgia about the great years no one would get upset about renames.
Anoraks and enthusiasts who were there in those years with the memories, yes, they have the nostalgia and respect of those eras but in this day and age, no.

As for Williams current situation, the firm is ripe for a complete revamp and new management.
Dorillton is simply a holding space. a rescuer who saw an opportunity for some possible ongoing sale and picking up a profit.
There seems to be no desire for serious upgrading and development for the long-term future of the teams so it may prove to be an expensive long term hold if there is no real investment and the relative value declines.

Last edited by Teretonga; 17 Jan 2023 at 01:26.
Old 12 Jul 2023, 10:38 (Ref:4168048)   #2052
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Williams Livery for 3 races....
Attached Thumbnails
20230712_123603.jpg  
Old 15 Jul 2023, 02:30 (Ref:4168461)   #2053
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Look at the years of Cooper, McLaren, BRM, and Lotus as a powerhouse organisations in the 58-80's and while there is nostalgia about the great years no one would get upset about renames.
Do you suppose Formula One success is or is not important for establishing Ferrari, McLaren and Lotus as popular sports vehicle brands?

I don't recall if Geely owned Lotus the most recent time Lotus cars were in Formula One, but they do now and are trying to push the brand heavily into the luxury car space with a 2200kg EV performance SUV which simplifies and adds lightness.

As for not getting upset, McLaren deliberately did not sell to Audi so as to not lose the McLaren name, so I'm not so sure that the McLaren name isn't important to McLaren Racing... Interestingly, Audi didn't rebrand Ducati to Audi (neither the MotoGP team nor road vehicles), however exotic motorcycles is a bigger market than exotic sportscars due to the relatively lower prices I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Anoraks and enthusiasts who were there in those years with the memories, yes, they have the nostalgia and respect of those eras but in this day and age, no.
Renault are trying to use Formula One to promote Alpine, but it seems they are having have little success. Apart from anoraks who already knew about previous Alpine sportscars and their past racing & rallying exploits anyway, it seems name recognition of Alpine with the general public is still very poor compared to Ferrari name recognition.

Would Matra road vehicles have still sold well without the Formula One team?

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 15 Jul 2023 at 02:40.
Old 18 Sep 2023, 09:26 (Ref:4177176)   #2054
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
When the yellow flags came out in the Singapore race, I just knew who it was going to be.

I know that commercial considerations play part of drivers landing seats in F1, and probably always will do. But I do long for the day when Williams field 2 really good drivers. 2016 was the last time that they have fielded a really good pairing.

Russell and now Albon were like a one man team a lot of the time.

Is money still that tight?

Am I being horrible and overly negative here?
Old 18 Sep 2023, 09:33 (Ref:4177178)   #2055
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think the 'inadequacies' are thrown into a harsher light as a result of Albon's performances as well as someone like Liam Lawson coming in to AT with so little experience and doing such a fine job.
Old 18 Sep 2023, 10:16 (Ref:4177188)   #2056
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Albon’s an unsung hero. He just gets in the car does a good job and rarely makes a mistake. Not sure he’s ever gonna get in a top car anytime soon, but there’s always a place on the grid for him
Old 18 Sep 2023, 14:24 (Ref:4177237)   #2057
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
After driving a 2015 F3 car, I have a new found appreciation for single seater racers. I doubt I could be as fast as the slowest pay-driver.
Old 23 Sep 2023, 14:10 (Ref:4177912)   #2058
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sorry, but any future plans will just have to not involve Logan Sergeant, as this weekend's latest example rears it's ugly head. He's making it harder for them to justify keeping him, meaning he will be another in a list of drivers that did not pass muster when given an honest chance to prove that he is F1 material.

I'm just not seeing him being kept beyond this season...
Old 23 Sep 2023, 18:26 (Ref:4177931)   #2059
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeten View Post
I'm sorry, but any future plans will just have to not involve Logan Sergeant, as this weekend's latest example rears it's ugly head. He's making it harder for them to justify keeping him, meaning he will be another in a list of drivers that did not pass muster when given an honest chance to prove that he is F1 material.

I'm just not seeing him being kept beyond this season...
I like him, but I am thinking the same thing. I also suspect his biggest problem right now is himself. In that I think its more of a mental issue than anything. The pressure is getting to him, trying too hard, etc.

Richard
Old 23 Sep 2023, 20:16 (Ref:4177939)   #2060
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
He's on two-spec old parts that have been taken off Albon's car. That actually puts more pressure on him to perform, but they can't risk putting new parts on his car as it is literally just throwing money away.
Old 24 Sep 2023, 01:17 (Ref:4177965)   #2061
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
He's on two-spec old parts that have been taken off Albon's car. That actually puts more pressure on him to perform, but they can't risk putting new parts on his car as it is literally just throwing money away.
I would think if he is on older spec there is actually less pressure to perform. He mostly just needs to first focus on keeping the car intact. I mean he didn't even complete a timed lap in Q1 today!

Richard
Old 24 Sep 2023, 01:39 (Ref:4177969)   #2062
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It sorta reminds me of 'Days of Thunder', when Cole's manager wasn't sure he was up to it, where he says that there's almost a ghost in it sayin' to him " get outta the car, get outta the car, oooooohhhh..." Has that same feel...
Old 24 Sep 2023, 20:24 (Ref:4178191)   #2063
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It sorta reminds me of 'Days of Thunder', when Cole's manager wasn't sure he was up to it, where he says that there's almost a ghost in it sayin' to him " get outta the car, get outta the car, oooooohhhh..." Has that same feel...
I really don't see the similarity!!
Old 25 Sep 2023, 18:27 (Ref:4178325)   #2064
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
All he needs to do is not drive into things. That's literally it.
Old 25 Sep 2023, 18:29 (Ref:4178326)   #2065
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
All he needs to do is not drive into things. That's literally it.
Exactly. But he can't seem to do it.
Old 26 Sep 2023, 08:12 (Ref:4178361)   #2066
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't know how much $ he brings to the team but he must be costing them more in replacement parts.....
Old 26 Sep 2023, 08:54 (Ref:4178370)   #2067
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I don't know how much $ he brings to the team but he must be costing them more in replacement parts.....
Indeed. Williams are actually 7th in the WCC with a one man team. They are no longer the worse car on the grid and have produced a car that deserves 2 decent drivers. Alfa, Alpha and Haas are one or two good races away from overhauling them, so there are the financial implications to consider with the WCC results too.
Old 26 Sep 2023, 14:27 (Ref:4178401)   #2068
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I really don't see the similarity!!
It's basically what happens when you think too much about unsteady driving and it causes you to crash. It becomes self-fulfilling prophecy, and no team is willing to countenance that...
Old 26 Sep 2023, 14:49 (Ref:4178404)   #2069
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
It's basically what happens when you think too much about unsteady driving and it causes you to crash. It becomes self-fulfilling prophecy, and no team is willing to countenance that...
There are current examples of teams having sports psychologist work with their drivers to work on the mental side of the sport. I think Red Bull had one working with Yuki to work with his in-car anger issues and Perez also utilized one. I assume Williams is doing the same with Logan? Drivers are an investment. I would think part of that investment is to work with them to resolve this type of thing.

Richard
Old 26 Sep 2023, 15:31 (Ref:4178410)   #2070
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
I heard that just before the Japanese GP Perez and Sargent both used the same sports psychologist. A certain Mr P. Maldonado.
Old 26 Sep 2023, 16:30 (Ref:4178414)   #2071
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I heard that just before the Japanese GP Perez and Sargent both used the same sports psychologist. A certain Mr P. Maldonado.

So that is what he is doing with himself these days.
Old 26 Sep 2023, 21:30 (Ref:4178445)   #2072
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Loooool!!!!!
Old 27 Sep 2023, 03:21 (Ref:4178461)   #2073
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Their plan should be to sack Sargeant and run Lawson for 2024.
Old 27 Sep 2023, 05:20 (Ref:4178469)   #2074
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
My Thoughts exactly

on loan from RBR for 12 months
Old 27 Sep 2023, 08:23 (Ref:4178473)   #2075
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
That depends on if they can afford it - do Williams need the drivers to bring a certain level of sponsorship with them? If so can Lawson hit the numbers they need or is Sargeant a more financially viable option?