Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 17 Oct 2022, 14:23 (Ref:4130604)   #101
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Exactly that AND IMSA had the leverage to tell WEC to shut it, you're joining our event so deal with it as is. A spring event would not have that leverage as it would be standalone.

And yes, my fears are purely motivated by costs and changes already. The previous tape that was up to limit parking along the T3-Esses fencing is gone but now you can't walk the fence from T4 to the top of the Esses as it is RV camping to the fence. Trees have been planted but nothing to improve the comfort stations, the hot water was not this year. Porsche took away the camping for Petit inside of T10 for their car corral so people who had been there for years were throw aside. The corral was cancelled this year but still no camping allowed. And the entire run from Bobs' Hill around and to the Esses along the track was converted to Reserved RV sites, I pay it but it's not cheap. But hey we have a new tower. And that's without the FIA mandating who knows what but they would try and then we'll get nickel and dimed as the fans to fund it.

And Road Atlanta has a spring event that packs the place pretty regularly, The Mitty with HSR fills many of the camping areas. Ok, not the fancy guys with Reserved RVs out on the skid pad and T6 and T7 but you can park right there and see everyone pretty close to the track
Exactly my thoughts as well. Seems like the track is being eaten up by reserved RV EVERYWHERE. Even though I have a reserved RV spot I've had for going on 20 years it just seems that any open area is now blocked and marked off. The waiting list for a reserved RV spot is quite extensive. even now

The Porsche people are taking way too much space. The parking area behind the Jumbotron use to be accessible to anyone dropping off and setting up at turn 10A/10B. Great place to park your golf cart too. Now there's no parking spots near the track. The Porsche people even had IMSA people guarding the fenced area to keep people without special privileges from getting in.

I spoke with Rick Humphrey about the situation in the paddock area and how they've destroyed the fan experience by blocking off the hot pit area with teams up against the fencing. He did say that they are aware of the issue and will work on trying to improve access to the hot pits next year. The decision to change the paddock area was requested by IMSA due too additional entries in the WeatherTech series but Road Atlanta did have a say. They just didn't expect the layout to be quite so close to the fences.

The basic problem is simple. The Petit Le Mans is getting too popular, and the track is having a hard time accommodating everyone who's wanting to attend. This is true both from a viewer and participant standpoint. Let's face it though, racing is a for profit sport and tracks are trying to find every way possible to exploit an increase in fan participation. Better more fans than less. I remember all too well the bad days of Road Atlanta before the Petit Le Mans and Don Panoz.
Old 18 Oct 2022, 12:56 (Ref:4130706)   #102
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
I think the consensus is, more wealthy fans is better as far as the series and track are concerned (with the shared mother company anyway) - old-school, tent-camping spectators with a far more limited budget aren't really care for these days anymore....
Old 19 Oct 2022, 22:48 (Ref:4130848)   #103
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Well the tenters don't sponsor race cars. No race cars, no eyes, no value. More race cars, more eyes, more dollars.
Old 20 Oct 2022, 02:49 (Ref:4130858)   #104
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Well the tenters don't sponsor race cars. No race cars, no eyes, no value. More race cars, more eyes, more dollars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I think the consensus is, more wealthy fans is better as far as the series and track are concerned (with the shared mother company anyway) - old-school, tent-camping spectators with a far more limited budget aren't really care for these days anymore....
Only the tracks care about campers and attendance, but that sounds reasonable. The series is worried about the teams, cars and drivers more than fans/campers but that's their job.
Old 21 Oct 2022, 18:31 (Ref:4131023)   #105
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Let's not forget that IMSA racing was founded on the principle of ultimate fan participation. One ticket gets you all the action. No fans, no race series, no cars. The two players (Teams and Fans) work in a symbiotic relationship. Balance must be maintained.
Old 16 Nov 2022, 21:40 (Ref:4133972)   #106
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT240Z View Post
Let's not forget that IMSA racing was founded on the principle of ultimate fan participation. One ticket gets you all the action. No fans, no race series, no cars. The two players (Teams and Fans) work in a symbiotic relationship. Balance must be maintained.
Absolutely - I crossed the Atlantic in 2019 to go and see the Daytona 24 Hours (well, 22 and a bit...) and I was really impressed at how it felt like Le Mans in the 'old days'.

Good viewing of the whole track, places you could get photos without catch fencing and the cars 100s of metres away and no expensive grandstands spoiling the view for the ordinary punters who didn't have their ticket paid for as a corporate guest.

I'd go back to Daytona anytime, but I doubt I'll ever go back to Le Mans, despite doing over 30 races in the past.
Old 27 Jan 2023, 21:00 (Ref:4141460)   #107
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Farewell, Super Sebring

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...nt-at-sebring/
Old 27 Jan 2023, 21:53 (Ref:4141465)   #108
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Sadly predictable. Not sure why they're talking about trying to do a different common event. The exact same issue will remain - someone has to be the headliner and someone else the "supporting act".

Glad I managed to get to one of the three runnings of a Super Sebring. Very envious of anyone attending this year however.
Old 27 Jan 2023, 21:55 (Ref:4141466)   #109
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yup, guess they'll have to rethink US racing. Spring with enough lead time means SE so Sebring. Guess they could try a club circuit somewhere but oh wait it's the FIA so they need fancy. March at Road Atlanta could work but weather is iffy and can be into the 80s but also drops below freezing. COTA has spring tornado risk but a bit warmer, and we've already seen it isn't a fan favorite. Next most southern main sportscar track is VIR I guess but it's in the middle of nowhere and not exactly FIA hospitality level.

Just again feels like the FIA takes the shotgun out and takes aim right at their own feet. I doubt any track would turn them away but LM takes a bit out of the time slots. Spring seems most reasonable for travel but they would need to be looking March or early April at the latest and East Coast only to be back for Spa. End of the year could work but they seem to be dedicated to the Asian swing then and again travel after LM

That said, Road Atlanta in March and I would be there. Late March is TransAm and that has been wet more often than not, a bit more interesting with those cars but WEC would be fine with rain.
Old 27 Jan 2023, 21:57 (Ref:4141467)   #110
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosgt View Post
Absolutely - I crossed the Atlantic in 2019 to go and see the Daytona 24 Hours (well, 22 and a bit...) and I was really impressed at how it felt like Le Mans in the 'old days'.

Good viewing of the whole track, places you could get photos without catch fencing and the cars 100s of metres away and no expensive grandstands spoiling the view for the ordinary punters who didn't have their ticket paid for as a corporate guest.

I'd go back to Daytona anytime, but I doubt I'll ever go back to Le Mans, despite doing over 30 races in the past.
Funnily enough I'm exactly the same, Daytona still retains what it always had (as does the Nordschliefe) whereas in my opinion Le Mans has gone down hill over the years, for me it started when the Pits were renewed and year on year there have been more & more restrictions. I last went in 2017 and wont be back. Probably be stoned now for heresy!
Old 27 Jan 2023, 22:07 (Ref:4141469)   #111
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Just again feels like the FIA takes the shotgun out and takes aim right at their own feet.
I think we all know deep down they'll be racing at Indy.

But this one is on the ACO.
Old 27 Jan 2023, 23:44 (Ref:4141477)   #112
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post

That made me do a sad sigh. IMSA will be there too, so perhaps this is the new shared event?

Oh and guess what it costs to camp at IMS? They made a big deal about allowing camping in the infield for the IMSA race this season. Tent camping ranges from $600 to $1000. That is bullshit.
Old 28 Jan 2023, 03:24 (Ref:4141493)   #113
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:

Yeah, S365 said they're both in talks but you have to wonder when they can run. I'm not interested in an April Indy race, don't want to hear the complaints of weather and cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
That made me do a sad sigh. IMSA will be there too, so perhaps this is the new shared event?

Oh and guess what it costs to camp at IMS? They made a big deal about allowing camping in the infield for the IMSA race this season. Tent camping ranges from $600 to $1000. That is bullshit.
I just renewed my annual pass to Road Atlanta with a reserved spot for 600. That's every event they allow people in for and reserved RV and a second tent site for the year
Old 28 Jan 2023, 08:43 (Ref:4141502)   #114
Tique
Racer

France
Paris
Tique should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My dream would be to have the 12 Hours of Sebring part of the WEC and the IMSA calendar. Not for the GT3 that will be in the WEC, just the Hypercar.

With such approach, we could have a pretty cool Hypercar/GTP grid

For for sure, this is a dream....
Old 28 Jan 2023, 10:15 (Ref:4141511)   #115
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I am even less enthused about a race at Indy than a race at Qatar. The only thing going for it is US style track limits.
Old 28 Jan 2023, 13:15 (Ref:4141518)   #116
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
Quote:
I just renewed my annual pass to Road Atlanta with a reserved spot for 600. That's every event they allow people in for and reserved RV and a second tent site for the year
I just received the renewal notice from Abe, but not able to renew until Feb 1st. I have a turn 6 RV spot for the Petit. Did the price go up this year? I can't see the price until they open them up for renewal on the 1st.

I sure would like to see FIA come the Road Atlanta. Mostly to have another race at my "home track".
Old 28 Jan 2023, 15:05 (Ref:4141521)   #117
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Oh wow. Tthe Super Sebring was so good that the FIA and ACO thought it had to be replaced by more Middle East races.
Old 28 Jan 2023, 17:57 (Ref:4141541)   #118
Bill38
Rookie

Bill38 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sadly predictable. Not sure why they're talking about trying to do a different common event. The exact same issue will remain - someone has to be the headliner and someone else the "supporting act".

Glad I managed to get to one of the three runnings of a Super Sebring. Very envious of anyone attending this year however.
How about running both races at the same time. Sebring was 2 pit lanes. Eliminate the LMP2 and LMP3 cars. How many cars can safely race at Sebring? In the past, the max number was determined my the number of cars the pit lane could handle. With 2 pit lanes, maybe a combined race would be doable.
Old 28 Jan 2023, 18:49 (Ref:4141574)   #119
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill38 View Post
How about running both races at the same time. Sebring was 2 pit lanes. Eliminate the LMP2 and LMP3 cars. How many cars can safely race at Sebring? In the past, the max number was determined my the number of cars the pit lane could handle. With 2 pit lanes, maybe a combined race would be doable.
I don't think either series would go for kicking out classes and running with pit lanes in very different areas at same time. And I can't remember but think pit out of WEC would make pit in for IMSA a challenge
Old 29 Jan 2023, 11:07 (Ref:4141891)   #120
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Would love to see Silverstone back on the calendar.
Old 29 Jan 2023, 15:13 (Ref:4141963)   #121
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Last nigth John Doohan on RLM pretty much confirmed another IMSA endurance round @ Indy on Sat. evening in 2024 leaving the Sunday for an expected WEC race.
Old 30 Jan 2023, 01:52 (Ref:4142173)   #122
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Last nigth John Doohan on RLM pretty much confirmed another IMSA endurance round @ Indy on Sat. evening in 2024 leaving the Sunday for an expected WEC race.
Wasn't the stated problem for the WEC about Sebring the logistics of hosting both series back to back? So this is the same problem but at a different track?
Old 30 Jan 2023, 03:14 (Ref:4142184)   #123
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Wasn't the stated problem for the WEC about Sebring the logistics of hosting both series back to back? So this is the same problem but at a different track?
As often the ACO speaks with a 'double tongue':

Quote:
“The top priority is to come to the U.S.,” Fillon said.

“I love Sebring – it’s an iconic race. But it’s impossible to continue to have a race on Friday and a race on Saturday.

It’s difficult for the sponsors and manufacturers to have two races [on one weekend]. We have to find another solution. What is the solution, I don’t know.

“The idea is to continue to have a common event with IMSA. But we are thinking about how we can do that.”

Fillon went on to say that the Sebring format needs a “rethink” but acknowledged that it is “too early” to divulge how that might pan out.

“There is [a] conflict between our partners and sponsors. The level of the manufacturers is higher, so we have to rethink how this double event can be.”

When asked by Sportscar365 if the WEC could shift its North American round to another existing IMSA event, Fillon responded: “What I can say today is that our partnership will continue and we want to continue to have some common events. But it’s too early to answer.”
In other words: Yes, we have a problem with running on Friday at Sebring.* No, we're not looking for a standalone event. Answer: team up with IMSA at a lesser established event where they (IMSA) run on Saturday and we (WEC) can race as headliner on Sunday. Sebring won't work as it's an iconic event. Indy is the 'perfect' solution considering it's a new event and the track fulfills WEC's desire to run on modern, characterless tracks. It's a similar strategy tried with CotA previously with the difference that Indy is labelled (and very much regarded) as the 'Racing Capital of the World'.

* Can anyone explain what's so difficult for the sponsors and manufacturers to have two races on one weekend? Surely the generated exposure by Super Sebring is extremely hard to match by whatever other WEC event in the US - teamed with IMSA or not.
Old 30 Jan 2023, 03:33 (Ref:4142187)   #124
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
As often the ACO speaks with a 'double tongue':

In other words: Yes, we have a problem with running on Friday at Sebring.* No, we're not looking for a standalone event. Answer: team up with IMSA at a lesser established event where they (IMSA) run on Saturday and we (WEC) can race as headliner on Sunday. Sebring won't work as it's an iconic event. Indy is the 'perfect' solution considering it's a new event and the track fulfills WEC's desire to run on modern, characterless tracks. It's a similar strategy tried with CotA previously with the difference that Indy is labelled (and very much regarded) as the 'Racing Capital of the World'.

* Can anyone explain what's so difficult for the sponsors and manufacturers to have two races on one weekend? Surely the generated exposure by Super Sebring is extremely hard to match by whatever other WEC event in the US - teamed with IMSA or not.
First part, makes it definitely sound like they want to be headliner. Run on Sunday after IMSA and see how many dip out early, guessing 50% plus

Second one is purely THEY can't charge twice for it. Guarantee everyone selling themselves LOVES one trip and maybe one extra day of lodging over 2 separate events. Plus yes, Super Sebring is bound to bring more than a football season who gives a sht Indy event. Even the IMSA event is going to tank at Indy, it's just too big a place for 100k attendance to look occupied. Battle on the Bricks, yeah that's the IMSA event name is in early September. Currently WEC leaves Europe in July to go to Japan the week prior and then to Bahrain Nov. They can't really tell us they're gonna go to Bahrain by way of US. Their best bet was at Sebring, IMSA should be the ones to cry. They are losing track rental for another event and RV parking to let the WEC crash their event
Old 30 Jan 2023, 10:07 (Ref:4142197)   #125
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tique View Post
My dream would be to have the 12 Hours of Sebring part of the WEC and the IMSA calendar. Not for the GT3 that will be in the WEC, just the Hypercar.

With such approach, we could have a pretty cool Hypercar/GTP grid

For for sure, this is a dream....
Surely such a double header race is achievable

IMSA Weathertech already splits off some GTD only events. They would know by then how GTP and LMH stack up especially as Cadillac Porsche and hopefully BMW by then would cars homogulated in both.

So lighten up on IMSA homog a bit just for a dual race

Do GTD/LMGT3 Friday evening and night at Sebring

And do Saturday evening start for LMH/LMDh/GTP plus LMP2 (and possibly LMP3)

Apart from evening up for main race overall win most of the other classes don’t need levelling or double homog.

Go for easiest pitstop/ yellow/SC combination set that works- main drivers and crews must have good adaptable skills as driving all sorts of sportscar and other events.

What’s the point of dual classes if WEC cars never go IMSA side?