Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Oct 2009, 01:10 (Ref:2560270)   #1
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The new teams development for 2010 so far, discuss here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Manor seem to be coming along nicely. I've read that Adam Carroll and Anthony Davidson are amongst the drivers they're looking at, which is good news. Maybe they should think about Takuma Sato, too.

Ditto Campos, with Pedro de la Rosa favourite for the first seat, or maybe Marc Gené. Bruno Senna thinks he has a good chance there and we may even hear something this weekend. Brazil is the perfect place for an announcement. He also mentions Manor as a possibility.

Lotus F1, Team Lotus or whatever seems to be ticking along well. The latest word is that Jarno Trulli is attracted by the thought of driving a Mike Gascoyne designed car again and the Malaysian, Fairuz Fauzy, looks to be a natural fit for the #2 seat. Incidentally, although I thought otherwise at one time, it seems that the British Litespeed F3 team is still connected with Lotus, as they should be because they were the ones to sign up Gascoyne.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Bernie still thinks that two of the new teams have probably bitten off more than they can chew.

"I think, at the beginning, they were all serious projects, but one or two may have found out that they have taken on too much. Previously, we have demanded of new teams, such as Toyota, a guarantee of $48m to protect us from abuse. This was abandoned, with the danger that a new team is sharp only on the launch pad, in order to be sold on later. I hope that we will not be punished because of our generosity."

Also.

"Lotus has met all the points in time," he pointed out, "They have secured the funding, opted for Cosworth engines, and prepared a plan of how they will build the cars. I tell you, they will begin 2010 with two cars. At BMW-Sauber, although it was always expected that the team would be bought, we did not know, until the deadline, who the buyer would be."

Do the math.
Go on fellas...
Old 13 Oct 2009, 09:38 (Ref:2560456)   #2
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought the $48 million deposit was unfair on a new team as even a team with a lot of experience may not be able to come up with that as well as running a team for the year. It always seemed to me that Bernie just wants the manufactuers as it's only people like that that could afford it.

Bernie will like Lotus as they have funding coming from the far east where he wants to gain a foothold with F1.

I am looking forward to seeing all the new teams, Mannor and Campos have experience in lower formula, USF1 seems to have 2 experienced people in charge and Lotus should be fine as they have the cash in place.

Alan
Old 13 Oct 2009, 12:07 (Ref:2560515)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Bernie also said in the same interview that both Renault and Toyota would be in F1 until 2012.So,assuming that Bernie thinks that Lotus also look likely to be on the grid next season,we have to look at what's left.

The $48 million bond was in place to stop teams like 'LIFE' turning up with a car that had difficulty in completing a lap,never mind a race distance.But now the FIA appear to have thrown caution to the wind in that respect.This unfortunately leaves the opportunity open for unscrupulous businessmen to make a 'fast buck',despite the process of 'due diligence' applied by the FIA.
Old 13 Oct 2009, 16:11 (Ref:2560650)   #4
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
I doubt anyone can make a buck, fast nor not, in F1. Just like yacht racing.

The fact people want to enter, and it will cost lots to do so even without the ludicrous bond, should be enough to allow them in. A bit of due diligence by the FIA should be good enough to sort out those who really haven't a hope, not a huge pile of cash for Bernie's pocket.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 13 Oct 2009, 18:45 (Ref:2560735)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
How much would USF1s place be worth to someone like Peter Sauber and BMW do you think?
Old 13 Oct 2009, 20:42 (Ref:2560797)   #6
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I suspect we shall find out.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 14:26 (Ref:2561331)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Here's a 'development' which we'd forgotten about! The hearing took place yesterday.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79427

That could seriously affect all of their development plans!
Old 14 Oct 2009, 15:10 (Ref:2561356)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
More to the above.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=39307

hmmm...interesting!
Old 14 Oct 2009, 16:10 (Ref:2561389)   #9
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lotus F1 car revealed

Looks pretty decent, albeit a bit basic at this stage
Old 14 Oct 2009, 16:21 (Ref:2561396)   #10
kartracer41
Racer

United States
Michigan, USA
kartracer41 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Lotus F1 car revealed

Looks pretty decent, albeit a bit basic at this stage
Glad to see someone with some real headway. Now this tells me, them, or someone had to know that someone was surely going to drop out. Otherwise who in their right mind would have kept working on a F1 project, with little or no chance of being given a slot on the grid?
Old 15 Oct 2009, 01:01 (Ref:2561664)   #11
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
most interesting part of the interview...

Q. The team is currently based in the UK, but is there a long-term plan to move to Malaysia?

MG: The longer-term vision is to create a centre of technical excellence at the Sepang circuit which we have already started planning together with Tony Fernandes and his associates. Naturally this takes time, so we have opted initially for a UK base at the RTN facility in Hingham from where we will run the F1 operations while we establish our Malaysian facilities. Ultimately, the team will be headquartered in Malaysia, but we will keep a small UK base which will give us a logistical advantage when we are racing within Europe.

Sounds familiar, eh jab?...
Old 15 Oct 2009, 01:19 (Ref:2561669)   #12
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The difference between Lotus and US F1 is Lotus will be basing themselves where there are actually a number of races taking place, as opposed to the other side of the world to where the races are taking place
Old 15 Oct 2009, 02:14 (Ref:2561680)   #13
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
The difference between Lotus and US F1 is Lotus will be basing themselves where there are actually a number of races taking place, as opposed to the other side of the world to where the races are taking place
USF1 will be based at Aragon.
Old 15 Oct 2009, 07:23 (Ref:2561763)   #14
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
They will be based in Charlotte. Aragon will just be a sub-base
Old 15 Oct 2009, 08:48 (Ref:2561784)   #15
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
More to the above.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=39307

hmmm...interesting!
Having had many years of business dealings in and around Italian companies this is........ well, interesting is probably the best word!
Old 15 Oct 2009, 13:54 (Ref:2561971)   #16
Eccles
Rookie

Eccles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Lotus F1 is going to be finded and party based in Malaysia, there has got to be a really good opportunity for a Malaysian driver. Fairuz Fauzy and Alex Yoong must be very excited over this opportunity.

I see Team Malaysia will not be at first A1gp round so shame these guys wont get a chance to drive and impress.
Old 15 Oct 2009, 13:59 (Ref:2561979)   #17
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Yoong has effectively retired. Fauzy is on the shortlist of 6 drivers, but Gascoyne has indicated they're looking more for 2 experienced drivers (probably Trulli and maybe Davidson)
Old 15 Oct 2009, 14:21 (Ref:2561988)   #18
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so has Gascoyne been working on this in his basement for the past year?
Old 15 Oct 2009, 15:00 (Ref:2562007)   #19
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure we'll all heard the jokes in motorsports circles (outside UK anyway) that the whole point of letting in "Lotus" was to make Bernie's favourite - Manure F1 - look good. You couldnt possible have Manure cars on the back row
Old 15 Oct 2009, 15:08 (Ref:2562013)   #20
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Has anyone heard any news from Campos? They have very quite lately
Old 15 Oct 2009, 15:17 (Ref:2562016)   #21
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Adrian was around for Singapore. Gave a few details but not much. I think they're probably plodding along nicely, although funding could be an issue
Old 15 Oct 2009, 18:35 (Ref:2562157)   #22
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post
Has anyone heard any news from Campos? They have very quite lately
They are hiring a lot of people. Look here if you are interested in a job:

http://www.camposmeta.com/
Old 15 Oct 2009, 23:45 (Ref:2562350)   #23
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read today that Lotus has its first model going into the wind tunnel next week, and that they are planning to have the car on the track for testing in February.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 04:42 (Ref:2562468)   #24
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
I had a bit of a chuckle when I saw a pic of the windtunnel model by Lotus who had recently just got approved while USF1 can only come up with some pictures of shop equipment (Haas) that is not even state of the art when they have been saying since Feb 24 that they have been planning this thing for years. They have been planning this for years yet they are still working on the workshop. Am I missing something.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 16:14 (Ref:2562800)   #25
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post
I had a bit of a chuckle when I saw a pic of the windtunnel model by Lotus who had recently just got approved while USF1 can only come up with some pictures of shop equipment (Haas) that is not even state of the art when they have been saying since Feb 24 that they have been planning this thing for years. They have been planning this for years yet they are still working on the workshop. Am I missing something.
Planning and execution are two different steps. Hopefully they will be able to execute quickly enough.

I do find it funny about the comment about the shop equipment. First it was "the building is empty they have no equipment!!". Now they have equipment, but "It's not state of the art!!".

Kudos to Lotus for getting to where they are today. I wish all of the new teams the best of luck and hope to see them all on the grid in 2010.