Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 3 Apr 2006, 06:58 (Ref:1568754)   #1
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aus GP Marshals?

Was I the only one who saw a marshal cross the track at the end of the GP with a bottle to attend to JB's Honda, and another standing trackside (wrong side) fiddling with a bottle, looking like with intention to cross the track?

It WAS early, and I may be mistaken, but if it WAS what occurred, WHY? There's marshals all along the pitwall for such events, and surely marshals know never to cross the track with a bottle?
Old 3 Apr 2006, 07:01 (Ref:1568761)   #2
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
We had this conversation at Loton and as i said then i was quite shocked at what i saw.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 09:06 (Ref:1568816)   #3
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw it live from T16 and thought the same thing but you need to remember that the number of motorsport experienced firies is suplimented by professional & volunteer fire fighters who may only do the F1GP. It could've been as simple as a rush of blood to the head but it NOT standard procedure to cross a hot track down here.

I also noticed several people in pit lane uniforms out on the track during the clean up for Shuey's off.

Actually the one thing that they probably should investigate is a couple of vehicle based track cleaning flying squads who can turn out under SC to clean up a big mess quickly using blowers and then dive off the track at the next gap in the fence, kind of like the Safety Teams in US based series operate.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 09:44 (Ref:1568839)   #4
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
You did indeed see that. The reason that the pitlane officials didn't attend the fire is that the lap prior to the chequered flag being shown, the access holes in the pitlane fencing are closed to prevent spectators from having access to the pits post race.

The marshall had actually waited till the course car had gone past prior to crossing the track (occured in front of me)
Old 3 Apr 2006, 10:26 (Ref:1568873)   #5
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I can see on the replay , the Marshal is crossing the track,with F1 cars still coming out of the final corner,not sure where the course car could have been .
Persons can be seen,leaning through at least two gaps in the pitwall fencing and a Pit Marshal can be seen running towards Buttons car from the rear ,as the Marshal is crossing.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 11:16 (Ref:1568912)   #6
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The F1 (merc, not the BMW) went under where I was at pit exit at the same time the marshall crossed the track, and I can't recall having any other cars other than the BMW course car pass where I was at the time.

I didn't have a view along the fence line as I was on the pit side of the track, but from marshalling there last year the timesheets called for the boards to be up at the start of the last lap, and where I could see them, they where in place at the time.

The marshall coming up from behind quite possibly came from pit entry, which remains open to allow the cars entry.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 11:22 (Ref:1568915)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So, to sum up, the marshals who ought to have attended were prevented from doing so safely by an organising decision, albeit one that is understandable. However, we're always told not to relax until the circuit is clear, so perhaps this decision needs reviewing?

The marshal crossing the track is faced with an unenviable decision. The car is on fire, the marshals over there can't get to it. He was very hesitant and clearly watching carefully, and appeared aware of the consequences. I'd say he couldn't win whatever he did (imagine the "where were the marshals?" threads if he hadn't attended) and managed the impossible choice with as much care as possible. What it highlights is that once again, GP organizers have no idea about marshalling and make the job unnecesarily difficult before either exposing the marshals to criticism, or worse, doing it themselves.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 11:52 (Ref:1568945)   #8
rescue dude
Veteran

England
Let it burn!!!

Does the name Tom Pryce mean anything.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 12:01 (Ref:1568950)   #9
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue dude
Let it burn!!!

Does the name Tom Pryce mean anything.
Absolutely, two marshals rushing headlong across the track while the pack is coming, but valid comparison nevertheless, and the reason it's heavily frowned upon, to say the least. And I'm not saying I would have made the same decision as the Melbourne marshal, just pointing out the circumstances that he was faced with. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. There is also the defence that he was very, very careful about it, but I was still watching the pictures and saying "Noooo, don't, please - you don't want to do that..."

I also note PVDA's post. Marshalling structures down there are different from here, and we don't know whetehr he was a regular motorsport firie or not. If not, he may well not be so aware of the seriousness of that action. Above all, he shouldn't have been put in that situation in the first place.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 01:50 (Ref:1569677)   #10
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A bit more info on Course Cars at Albert Park.

There's two BMW's (Course 1 & 2), Course 1 does the normal opening & closing and two is the report pick up & taxi for the majority of the meeting.

Course 1 is parked at 16.2 (pit entry) during the GP and Course 2 somewhere halfway around the circuit and they both being openning the track once the last car running passes them.

For some reason one of the Merc's does a lap at the end of the race as well??

I cant remember if the firie crossed before or after Course 1 passed him or not but if it had passed him then all is good as no race cars should be behind the course car (in theory) but that has still shown up a problem with the access holes which will hopefully be picked up by the organisers & CAMS/FIA for next year.

Should I mention one of the cars ran out of fuel during an FIA inspection on Saturday

Tim Schenken was handed a jerry can during the Sunday morning officials briefing to have with him for the pre GP inspection just in case
Old 4 Apr 2006, 04:11 (Ref:1569712)   #11
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aparently the two firies were spoken to after the event (handshake or buttkicking unknown but sounded like the latter.) I was flagging from 0.2L (pit exit) and I couldn't tell you if they crossed before the course car as I was helping organise our equipment and personnel from the immenant track invasion (we all got out okay) thanks to a surprisingly very well behaved spectators (waited for us to evacuate the point before stampeding.)
Old 4 Apr 2006, 07:53 (Ref:1569818)   #12
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahhh the age old question on wether to cross the track or not.

And here's my 2p worth. I thought both the marshalls in question did an execellent job and made a good judgement...

From what i saw the 1st decided that he needed to cross to put the fire out, then he was checking to see if he had time to cross and he did so off he went. the 2nd guy also was checking for traffic and also seeing if he was needed, The camera panned away at that point so i don't know if he did actually go over and backup the other marshall.

I think this should be used in training marshalls, as it does show there is a time and place to cross the circuit, and what you have to be aware off.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 08:24 (Ref:1569856)   #13
rescue dude
Veteran

England
I think your missing the point, and that is that you should NEVER have to cross a live track.

By doing so you put your life and that of the driver's in danger.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 11:44 (Ref:1570011)   #14
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My 2p's worth - I thought that any circuit suffering a 'track invasion' lost their GP. To go the extremes described in this thread compromises everyone's safety. what if there'd been a fire in the pits - and all the exits over pitwall are closed?

I agree with Rescue Dude (for once )
Old 4 Apr 2006, 11:56 (Ref:1570029)   #15
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=rescue dude]I think your missing the point, and that is that you should NEVER have to cross a live track.QUOTE]

Nope the point I was making was that you can and sometimes it is necessary to cross a live race circuit. BUT it has to be last resort AND awareness of what is going on is the key.

If i was talking to a trainee I would say never cross a live race circuit but for an experenced marshall who can see far enough up the circuit to allow sufficient time to cross, and there is a need to cross ie fire, unconsious driver then I see no problem with it. From the TV pictures I though both marshalls showed both these qulaities.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 16:09 (Ref:1570626)   #16
rescue dude
Veteran

England
So its do as i say not do as i do?

At what speed do the cars coming at you have to be doing to be safe?
Old 4 Apr 2006, 17:38 (Ref:1570682)   #17
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=scorch]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue dude
I think your missing the point, and that is that you should NEVER have to cross a live track.QUOTE]

Nope the point I was making was that you can and sometimes it is necessary to cross a live race circuit. BUT it has to be last resort AND awareness of what is going on is the key.

If i was talking to a trainee I would say never cross a live race circuit but for an experenced marshall who can see far enough up the circuit to allow sufficient time to cross, and there is a need to cross ie fire, unconsious driver then I see no problem with it. From the TV pictures I though both marshalls showed both these qulaities.
I agree with Wooley here, the guy's actions would have been the subject of debate no matter what he did, but unless a drivers life was in danger no one should have to cross a live track. It was definately live too, it was a bit before the start finish line which means the course car coming out of pit exit would have been nowhere near closing the track at that point. It would only have taken a trip to have made that in to headline news for all the wrong reasons....

Button was out of the car and well away from it, frankly i'd have let it burn until someone could get there safely from the pit side or the last car had passed (which it hadn't). Yeah, they did seem very careful about it, but all the same i wouldn't have bothered.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 18:07 (Ref:1570707)   #18
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
danccooke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the last point there is the important one, "Button was out of the car" if he wasn't out of the car the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" is certainly applicable.
I have crossed a track to put a car out that we couldn't see if the driver was out of. We were post 24 (brands hatch) we had a good view round clearways etc and were waved by the observer that it was safe(also we knew we had bottles the other side of the track so didn't carry them over). Had the driver been visably out of the car, I wouldn't have crossed the track. A car is a piece of machinery not a life........
Old 4 Apr 2006, 18:19 (Ref:1570716)   #19
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccooke
I think the last point there is the important one, "Button was out of the car" if he wasn't out of the car the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" is certainly applicable.
I have crossed a track to put a car out that we couldn't see if the driver was out of. We were post 24 (brands hatch) we had a good view round clearways etc and were waved by the observer that it was safe(also we knew we had bottles the other side of the track so didn't carry them over). Had the driver been visably out of the car, I wouldn't have crossed the track. A car is a piece of machinery not a life........
crossing a live track is one thing, crossing with a bottle is the big no no.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 18:29 (Ref:1570721)   #20
Red Baron
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
Red Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having watched the race and subsequent re-runs it is obvious to me that the track was still live, F1 cars were still exiting the final corner.

I agree with Rescue Dude and Hepatic; Button was clearly out of the car and in no danger. I see absolutely no reason to cross the track whilst it was live. Sure the guy might have thought he had time to cross, but was he really taking into account the speed of the approaching cars, maybe he was, but what if he had fallen mid way..........

I agree that there are undoubtedly times when it is necessary to cross a live track but in this case it was a no brainer.......it can wait!!!!

Having seen the Tom Pryce video; it is not pleasant viewing

Just my opinion, of course.......

Rosie
Old 4 Apr 2006, 19:21 (Ref:1570769)   #21
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel
crossing a live track is one thing, crossing with a bottle is the big no no.
There are a few places in Combe (there is no infield post from westway, all the way along the pit straight all the way to Quarry out, and then again all the way to Old Paddock) where that would be the only option, but only If a driver was in danger.

But I agree There was no real reason for A Marshal to cross the Track at the Aus GP

On the Bottle subject, anyone else note the min opperating temp is +5c?
Old 4 Apr 2006, 19:43 (Ref:1570787)   #22
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombeMarshal
There are a few places in Combe (there is no infield post from westway, all the way along the pit straight all the way to Quarry out, and then again all the way to Old Paddock) where that would be the only option, but only If a driver was in danger.
In that situation the first line of defence should be the onboard extinguisher (yes, they can actually be used!); if the driver's really in danger then I'd expect the rescue unit to have been called for & the race to have been red flagged, thus obviating any need to carry bottles across a LIVE track.

As a marshal my first priority is my personal safety - I'm no hero!
Old 4 Apr 2006, 21:03 (Ref:1570871)   #23
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
PipSqueak111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with the comments above, that the only reason to cross the track would be if a person was in danger.
I've only had to cross a live track once, and that was to attend a Caterham driver who wasn't moving in the car after a heavy impact. We crossed only because it was the first lap and could be reasonably sure we had a safe gap to do so before the pack came back around, and we got the nod from the Observer.
I was still green, however, and stupidly backed up my colleague by taking an extinguisher. After the incident was cleared up (driver was fine, just shaken), I quite rightly had a lecture from the Observer on crossing the track with a bottle. I took on board what I was told and learnt from it. And I expect the Aussie fire marshal has learnt from his mis-adventure also. We're all human at the end of the day and will make bad judgement calls from time to time, and just have to learn from them. So rather than pointing fingers and apportioning blame, it's more constructive if we accept what's done is done and learn from it.

(Climbs down from high horse )
Old 4 Apr 2006, 21:06 (Ref:1570876)   #24
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
danccooke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well said pipsqueak111
Old 4 Apr 2006, 23:11 (Ref:1570975)   #25
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Hear, hear. Who amongst us has never made a mistake? And we don't expect to be crucified on here when we do. According to PVDA, the marshal may have chatted to the officials, and we're always learning. The source of the problem appears to be that the marshals who would have attended were prevented from doing so by officialdom, leaving others to try to sort out the resulting problems on the hoof.

It's very easy to make the right decision from 10,000 miles away, no pressure and no idea of the problems faced. I just congratulate the guy on taking the utmost care in trying to do the right thing, even if he was ultimately unsuccessful in that attempt. I too have seen the Tom Pryce incident, and the circumstances here were totally different. I personally would not have crossed the track because it has been drummed into me not to, but I also remember the Caterham shunt at Brands when the guys had to cross 2/3rds of the track to get there and did a superb job. Nobody leapt on them and said it was wrong.

Of course, it's this kind of thing that adds to the reasons I won't do a GP. Bernie's circus is wonderful at making very good marshals look like idiots. How often do your hear the marshals criticized over blue flags? And who's responsibility os that? Not the marshals.