Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 10 Nov 2008, 20:13 (Ref:2332667)   #1
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Goodbye IRL

The Queensland Government announced this morning that IRL would be replaced bt A1GP for the annual October event.
Apparently TG wanted more money and a change of date. The Qld government wasn't willing to agree to either.
With the main reason for the event being TV exposure into potential International Tourist markets, the A1GP looks to be a better option for spending the dollars, and we get to watch Ferraris.
Old 10 Nov 2008, 21:00 (Ref:2332698)   #2
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Awesome.

It's pathetic the irl passed on this, but when one looks at the harebrained schedule, the lousy tv schedule and the old battleaxe cars it's no surprise. I've never watched and I certainly never will after this travesty.

I'm so glad A1 jumped on this and I heartily look forward to this race. Ferrari vs. dallara battlewagon. No comparison.
Old 10 Nov 2008, 22:18 (Ref:2332758)   #3
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Awesome.

It's pathetic the irl passed on this, but when one looks at the harebrained schedule, the lousy tv schedule and the old battleaxe cars it's no surprise. I've never watched and I certainly never will after this travesty.

I'm so glad A1 jumped on this and I heartily look forward to this race. Ferrari vs. dallara battlewagon. No comparison.
Agreed.

Lets hope A1GP can get its hands on Long Beach and ALMS can snag Cleveland.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 10 Nov 2008, 22:24 (Ref:2332764)   #4
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm gonna wait till official word comes from the event, A1 and Indy - this has been misreported too many times to get excited (or otherwise, I for one like the Indycars) now...
Old 10 Nov 2008, 22:39 (Ref:2332779)   #5
Aloysius
Racer

Aloysius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If only I could get live A1GP. We only get occasional races months after they happen on Speed. Ofcourse, unless my cable company adds Versus in the next couple months, I won't be able to see most of the IRL either.
Old 10 Nov 2008, 22:57 (Ref:2332786)   #6
johntt
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloysius
If only I could get live A1GP. We only get occasional races months after they happen on Speed. Ofcourse, unless my cable company adds Versus in the next couple months, I won't be able to see most of the IRL either.
The A1GP website has free streaming of all its races.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 11 Nov 2008, 00:14 (Ref:2332825)   #7
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloysius
It's an official announcement by the Qld Govt, the Gold Coast City Concil and the local organising committee.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 00:23 (Ref:2332829)   #8
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It a sad day for motorsports in australia, i think i rather watch the indycars racing around surfers instead of the A1 cars,when they were at easern creek they coverage sucked and stands were half empty.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 00:50 (Ref:2332839)   #9
Tucky70
Rookie

Australia
Qld
Tucky70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ford
It a sad day for motorsports in australia, i think i rather watch the indycars racing around surfers instead of the A1 cars,when they were at easern creek they coverage sucked and stands were half empty.
I think you'll find that the crowds will still come for the A1/V8 Supercars.(A lot of the crowd are there for the "event", not the cars anyway) And I wouldn't be surprised to see if the new Ferrari powered A1 cars were quicker than this years IRL cars.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 01:57 (Ref:2332858)   #10
Atomic_Playboy
Rookie

Atomic_Playboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they would be faster. Those IRL cars just had no power and speed through the corners at all. Champcar in 07 though that double chicane was just breath taking but this year the IRL cars just went careful, careful careful before nailing it on the exit (Don't get me started on how painfully slow some of the drivers went through there). It was easy to see why the IRL cars were 5-6 seconds slower than the Champcars a year earlier.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 07:27 (Ref:2332922)   #11
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Awesome! The Indycars were crap around the Indy circuit (what will they call it now?) so it'll be interesting to see if the A1GP cars with their stupid push to pass thingy produce any better racing. I look forward to it - the Team Australia backing will be HUGE!

Let's hope, as has been suggested, that A1GP can get it's hands on a few other events such as Long Beach and maybe Toronto? I believe that Mr ANdretti owns the rights to promote that event? And he's just bought himself (ooops, I mean his son!) into A1GP... interesting times!
Old 11 Nov 2008, 07:44 (Ref:2332931)   #12
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Craig Toronto runs in early July outside the A1GP time frame. Besides it is on the IRL schedule.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 08:17 (Ref:2332943)   #13
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
don't get your hopes up of the racing tho, A1 in China was a snorefest compared to what we're used to with the Lola/Zytek car :|
Old 11 Nov 2008, 19:16 (Ref:2333284)   #14
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic
don't get your hopes up of the racing tho, A1 in China was a snorefest compared to what we're used to with the Lola/Zytek car :|

This was always my suspicion: The 'Ferrari F1 derived' A1 car would be like F1 and we would lose the 'competitive pass' racing we had with the Lola car...

Without the competitive racing A1 will not have the attraction it had, just a F1 like procession...
Old 11 Nov 2008, 20:52 (Ref:2333342)   #15
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga
This was always my suspicion: The 'Ferrari F1 derived' A1 car would be like F1 and we would lose the 'competitive pass' racing we had with the Lola car...

Without the competitive racing A1 will not have the attraction it had, just a F1 like procession...
It's not an exact copy of an F1 car. They made some changes so the racing would be as competitive as it has been.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 23:09 (Ref:2333452)   #16
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html

Idiot Racing League?
Old 12 Nov 2008, 00:19 (Ref:2333478)   #17
johntt
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test
More or less sums up the IRL's management. A recent quote from Lee White of TRD (http://www.gordonkirby.com/categorie...s_no159.html):

Quote:
I did give Rod my opinion. I told him to go get a 1994 Lola or Reynard and put a Cosworth engine in it and go racing. Then you would have something that sounds great, runs great, looks great and puts on a great show, and everybody who loved them will jump at the chance to come and watch because there's still a lot of people out there who remember how great those cars were. Use that as a kind of retro starting point and build it from there. But I don't think they listened.
Sums up the IRL perfectly.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 00:25 (Ref:2333481)   #18
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Little bit harsh there Crash Test.

Quite a few factors at work here leading to such an outcome.

One of the most interesting issues was raised by Curt Cavin who outlined that most Indycar teams lost money on running Indy this year. The financial package in 2008 didnt cover all team staff airline, accomodation and freight.

It is inline with that comment that you can see where the IRL was coming from asking for a $3million rise. I am not advocating that the Qld were wrong to say no but more that this wasnt a money grab by the IRL.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 00:31 (Ref:2333483)   #19
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
More or less sums up the IRL's management. A recent quote from Lee White of TRD (http://www.gordonkirby.com/categorie...s_no159.html):

Sums up the IRL perfectly.
They can't seem to understand the height of popularity, not to mention revenues was in 1994 and 1995.

The CART formula worked and what they have now is neither attractive to look at or listen to.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 00:34 (Ref:2333484)   #20
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For starters they are throwing one of their absolute show case events, and one of their best attended outside of Indy. Even with a tape delay, it still gets shown at a decent hour in North America, and what's the average attendance for events back home? Isn't it a made for TV thing these days? Also by losing the Gore money, will the second KV Racing entry go with it?

How did Champ Car manage to do it on $11mil in the past? Granted there were half a dozen more cars racing this year, but did Champ Car get a full $11mil before the 2008 deal came along? Is some sort of middle man in the process skimming money so that this hand out doesn't make it to the teams? Tony has to get some money back some how! Hrmmm...
Old 12 Nov 2008, 00:36 (Ref:2333486)   #21
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Little bit harsh there Crash Test.

Quite a few factors at work here leading to such an outcome.

One of the most interesting issues was raised by Curt Cavin who outlined that most Indycar teams lost money on running Indy this year. The financial package in 2008 didnt cover all team staff airline, accomodation and freight.

It is inline with that comment that you can see where the IRL was coming from asking for a $3million rise. I am not advocating that the Qld were wrong to say no but more that this wasnt a money grab by the IRL.
The financial package was $11 million which should at least cover costs. If they don't then there is a skim somewhere.

The champcar merger bought them time by adding some cars, but the whole formula and management is still out to lunch. Expect some attrition. I heard sponsorship is an issue this winter for next year.

By losing surfers they lost a sponsor, possibly a team and a fantastic event.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 00:52 (Ref:2333494)   #22
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a feeling that when the 2 series became 1 again,that the end of surfer's paradise race was in it final year\s,i never did trust TG.guess my feelings were correct after all.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 01:53 (Ref:2333508)   #23
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering that the IRL insists on having the series U.S. based and predominately on ovals with a few circuit events, and put that up against the NASCAR juggernaut that is doing the some things and competing in the same marketplace, you would have to wonder if the comment isn't too far wrong!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test
Idiot Racing League?
If it's good enough for Formula One to have its final round in 'glamorous' Brazil in an unusual time zone, surely it would not have been such a comedown for the IRL to have their final round on the truly glamorous Gold Coast of Australia?
Old 12 Nov 2008, 09:33 (Ref:2333602)   #24
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the Americans I spoke to wanted to be here, they wanted to come back, they accept they do not have anything like it, yet One Man, who for years tried to control everything, has finally achieved it.

So to our americans friends I say, see ya latter, to USA Bernie -SFA.

Long LIve THE GOLD COAST
Old 12 Nov 2008, 11:04 (Ref:2333629)   #25
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar

I'm not that glad, because IRL lost an interesting event, and Surfers Paradise risk to find an empty slot nex year: will A1 GP still exist?

BTW: except for the trademark, the A1 chassis won't have much more from Ferrari, therefore I wouldn't set up a mocked rivalry