Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 May 2009, 21:19 (Ref:2461241)   #51
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dunno if this has been mentioned, but Montezemolo is starting the Le Mans 24 Hours, and Deminocali is also going to be there. Is this Ferrari looking into other possibilites?

Also, the IRC has been talking about anothing manufacturer entering
Old 12 May 2009, 21:49 (Ref:2461265)   #52
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Dunno if this has been mentioned, but Montezemolo is starting the Le Mans 24 Hours, and Deminocali is also going to be there. Is this Ferrari looking into other possibilites?

Also, the IRC has been talking about anothing manufacturer entering
I heard about Deminocali at Le Mans but I didn't know about another manufacturer entering the IRC, though there has been talk of another engine manufacturer in the IRC. I take it you did mean another and not anothing manufacturer; it does sound rather good?
Old 12 May 2009, 21:52 (Ref:2461267)   #53
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a very interesting article Dieter Rencken on Autosport.com: http://www.autosport.com/features/article.php/id/2162
(subscription only)

According to Rencken all the manufacturers need do is buy A1GP and get a ready made infastructure and some decent tracks (and before anyone says it, they would NOT be using A1GP cars )
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 12 May 2009, 22:08 (Ref:2461276)   #54
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I heard about Deminocali at Le Mans but I didn't know about another manufacturer entering the IRC, though there has been talk of another engine manufacturer in the IRC. I take it you did mean another and not anothing manufacturer; it does sound rather good?
Yeh, I meant another. But I was joking. I can't see Ferrari involve in the international Rallying scene!

But, if they do withdraw from F1, I can't see them not being involved in motorsport - and, really, the only other option they would have would be Le Mans. Unless and engine supply in IndyCar?
Old 12 May 2009, 22:14 (Ref:2461278)   #55
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I reckon you are right about Le Mans as it would mean they could also compete in ALMS and they need that North American market. Though I quite like the rallying idea. Paris to Dakkar with Kimi behind the wheel, left foot breaking; those Finns have a great rallying heritage. Heiki could join him as he seems all washed up with McLaren.
Old 12 May 2009, 22:20 (Ref:2461283)   #56
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
This may interest you:

Quote:
From AUTOSPORT
In recent months, the Japanese manufacturer [Toyota] has been linked with a return to Le Mans – having last raced there in 1999. The company is believed to feel it has unfinished business at the French classic, having failed to win with its GT-One car.

Coincidentally, Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo is to be the official starter at this year's Le Mans race amid suggestions he too could be seeing sportscars as the future for his team's racing programme.

Howett said: "I believe there are many other activities that we could undertake. We are a motorsport team and I think we are not against cost saving, we are not necessarily against budget cap but it depends how it is administered."
As a Le Mans fan, I like the sound of that - as a motorsport fan, I fear for its general health.
Old 12 May 2009, 22:24 (Ref:2461285)   #57
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
A Toyota/Ferrari hook up?
Old 12 May 2009, 22:29 (Ref:2461286)   #58
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
No, I think you've miss interpreted it. Basically, both are looking into LMP racing. Ferrari already have a sportscar project and with Nissan now involved in sportscars, Toyota have an interest.
Old 12 May 2009, 22:36 (Ref:2461289)   #59
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I did, thanks. You know what get's me about the whole F1 budget business is that for the 2009 season the car had to have a new rear wing, a new front wing and a new engine. That in itself must cost loads and these changes were at the behest of the FIA and now they want to impose a budget cap after they have called for these changes; they should have left the cars as they were and if was a matter of reducing speed, fit the cars wit a rev limiter.
Old 12 May 2009, 22:42 (Ref:2461294)   #60
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
I did, thanks. You know what get's me about the whole F1 budget business is that for the 2009 season the car had to have a new rear wing, a new front wing and a new engine. That in itself must cost loads and these changes were at the behest of the FIA and now they want to impose a budget cap after they have called for these changes; they should have left the cars as they were and if was a matter of reducing speed, fit the cars wit a rev limiter.
Basically, the FIA is in a complete mess. Its no wonder that team are interested in sportscars - the ACO, Le Mans' organisers, are far more competent, listen to manufacturers and fans, while allowing technical diversity and the use of different technoligies. F1 needs to take a leaf out of the ACO's book if they're going to keep the manufacturers in it.
Old 12 May 2009, 22:56 (Ref:2461302)   #61
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I agree it is a mess and Ecclestone and Mosely, particularly Ecclestone with his cosntant tinkering is largely to blame. F1 should look at what's happened with the IRL, bad TV coverage low spectator attendance because Tony George wanted to cut costs and wanted more control but it is lack lustre; some great drivers and tracks but nothing innovative, just Dallaras. However NASCAR, which is just ovals is doing great. They have some innovation in that they've got a mix of manufacturers that the average Joe can relate to as he either owns a Chevy, a Ford or a Dodge, even a Toyota.
Old 12 May 2009, 23:00 (Ref:2461304)   #62
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
I agree it is a mess and Ecclestone and Mosely, particularly with his cosntant tinkering is largely to blame. F1 shouls look at what's happened with the IRL, bad TV coverage low spectator attendance. I know Tony George wanted to cut costs and wanted more control but it is lack lustre; some great drivers and tracks but nothing innovative. However NASCAR, which is just ovals is doing great. They have some innovation in that they've got a mix of manufacturers that the average Joe can relate to as he either owns a Chevy, a Ford or a Dodge.
Well, NASCAR does do one road course doesn't it? I've never understood NASCAR on road circuits, kind of defeats the whole object...

With NASCAR though, it is easier - its just one country, their target market is the average Joe.

Formula One was at its best when it knew what it was aimed at - the middle class, western/central European.

However, now its gunning from everywhere from Communist China to Islamic Abhou Dhabi - its not sure of its identity. It needs to sort it out, and quickly.
Old 12 May 2009, 23:06 (Ref:2461306)   #63
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
[IMG]Probably not in Britain because that's how the British are, but elsewhere in the world.
Not really. There's a photocopy shop somewhere in England where the owners/employees are Ferrari die-hard fans...
Old 12 May 2009, 23:09 (Ref:2461308)   #64
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Formula One was at its best when it knew what it was aimed at - the middle class, western/central European.

However, now its gunning from everywhere from Communist China to Islamic Abhou Dhabi - its not sure of its identity. It needs to sort it out, and quickly.
You tell me. You have a GP in China or Abu Dhabi or Turkey in 2009, countries with no GP/F1 heritage and no French GP; it all started in France and it must cost the teams a lot to travel to these events; so much for a budget cap. Just seems like a money making excercise and the control of that excercise, which was your argument in the first place. Just a shame Ecclsetone and Mosely don't see it.
Old 12 May 2009, 23:27 (Ref:2461314)   #65
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well, NASCAR does do one road course doesn't it? I've never understood NASCAR on road circuits, kind of defeats the whole object...
Way OT here: Nascar Sprint Cup does two road courses per year, Sears Point and Watkins Glen, while the Nationwide Series does Watkins Glen and Montreal.

There is a point to them because:

A) You are able to see which of the drivers there are the most talented and it proves that the top Nacsar drivers are capable of turning right. Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart both have an all-oval background yet have doen very well on the road courses.

B) Because stock cars are so poorly designed for road courses they are very entertaining to watch. The way the whole field fans out on a restart at the Glen....
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 12 May 2009, 23:32 (Ref:2461316)   #66
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
You mean left turning, hence Crapwaggons but yes that makes sense. Never been a big NASCAR fan but slowly getting into it, thanks for the low down.
Old 12 May 2009, 23:43 (Ref:2461320)   #67
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
You tell me. You have a GP in China or Abu Dhabi or Turkey in 2009, countries with no GP/F1 heritage and no French GP; it all started in France and it must cost the teams a lot to travel to these events; so much for a budget cap. Just seems like a money making excercise and the control of that excercise, which was your argument in the first place. Just a shame Ecclsetone and Mosely don't see it.
Well, the only reason why its going to these countries is that they are government-funded projects that suit Bernie's wallet just fine. There will need to be a revolution in the FIA before things reverse - until then, Americans are just going to get into NASCAR even more, and the Europeans will either go for Touring Cars or Sportscars or lose interest completely. NASCAR must be rubbing their hands with glee at the moment, and just think what it will be like post recession!
Old 12 May 2009, 23:50 (Ref:2461323)   #68
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I get what your saying and meanwhile ,post recession, Tony George will either have killed of the IRL in 2013 and reinvented C.A.R.T., with Ferrari as a constructor and engine supplier. You never know? Lol.
Old 12 May 2009, 23:55 (Ref:2461324)   #69
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post

The teams do not want a budget cap.
Actually,they do,but just like everything else in F1 (except for the cars) they want it to happen very slowly.

What they don't want is a two-tier Formula,because that would mean that some teams wouldn't know what to do with all that spare cash that they don't have.
Old 12 May 2009, 23:57 (Ref:2461326)   #70
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
I get what your saying and meanwhile ,post recession, Tony George will either have killed of the IRL in 2013 and reinvented C.A.R.T., with Ferrari as a constructor and engine supplier. You never know? Lol.
With Toyota KERS!

I know I'll get shot at for suggesting this, but wouldn't it be great for F1 to merge with the IRL? So then the WC would includ the Indy 500 again! And there could be another US GP at the Glen etc.
Old 12 May 2009, 23:57 (Ref:2461327)   #71
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Well excellent, I am delighted that Ferrari, Red Bull, Toyota, and quite possibly BMW are telling the FIA to sod right off with their stupid budget cap..

McLaren of course will stay out of this one at the moment for obvious reasons..

By the way Mr Mosley and friends, could we please get rid of this stupid push to pass complete waste of money nonsense, after all we would like to save money, dont you know...
Old 12 May 2009, 23:59 (Ref:2461328)   #72
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMHO a World Championship won without the presence of Ferrari in the field would be a hollow one. I was a follower of the team pre TGF era & still have a soft spot for them. But they are a very large chunk of the mystic of F1.

Ask a non motorsport person to name an F1 team, who do they say.
Old 13 May 2009, 00:01 (Ref:2461331)   #73
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
With Toyota KERS!

I know I'll get shot at for suggesting this, but wouldn't it be great for F1 to merge with the IRL? So then the WC would includ the Indy 500 again! And there could be another US GP at the Glen etc.
Brilliant. What about chassis? Re-animating Adrian Reynard?
Old 13 May 2009, 00:02 (Ref:2461332)   #74
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by david5 View Post
IMHO a World Championship won without the presence of Ferrari in the field would be a hollow one. I was a follower of the team pre TGF era & still have a soft spot for them. But they are a very large chunk of the mystic of F1.

Ask a non motorsport person to name an F1 team, who do they say.
Footwork-Zytek? Ascari-Judd? Ensign? Forti? Zakspeed? Those are the 4 that immediately spring to mind.
Old 13 May 2009, 00:04 (Ref:2461333)   #75
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Brilliant. What about chassis? Re-animating Adrian Reynard?
Four wheel drive cars with no aerodynamics and really skinny tires. And 1005hp+. You and I are making a formula that the manufacturers cant refuse! We have made history!