Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Jan 2001, 22:39 (Ref:60189)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Looks like Minardi will make it to the grid in 2001!

-----------------------------------------------------

From GlobalF1.co.uk

Australian millionaire Paul Stoddart has today confirmed to British broadcaster ITV that he has completed a deal that will see him buy the struggling Minardi team, who failed to score any points last season. The deal, valued at around £35 million (roughly US$60 million) should help secure the future of the team.

The team, who have been in Grand Prix competition since 1985, have always struggled to make a mark in Formula One, constantly fighting for sponsorship and ultimately survival. The future of the team was plunged into doubt last November when it was announced that PSN (Pan-American Sports Network) pulled out of a share deal.

It's believed the team will use Ford V10 engines, which will run under the 'European' badge, after Stoddart's own European Aviation company. A driver line-up also appears to be almost complete, with young Spaniard Fernando Alonso leading the team with Enrique Bernoldi favourite to take the number two seat.

Speaking to ITV-F1.com, Stoddart commented: "We are not going to win the world championship but I believe we can give a good account of ourselves and finish 10th or higher. Minardi have done that for the last three years and I think we can make it four. I'm very confident."

The team still lacks a major sponsor, and Stoddart realises time is of the essence: "We've got 29 days until the freight leaves for Melbourne and I think we can make that. I'll use one of my own planes to take the team if necessary but I don't think it will come to that. We will be there, but it is going to be an enormous task and we are going to have to move mountains."

----------------------------------------------------------

Let's hope this is true. I wonder if Mark Webber will have a chance of a drive. Just think, next year we'll have Raikkonen, Montoya, Burti (OK, not really), Alonso and Bernoldi making their debuts!

Old 24 Jan 2001, 22:56 (Ref:60191)   #2
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Similar stuff from Autosport:

Quote:
The fate of the beleaguered Minardi Formula 1 team will not be announced until next week, but European Aviation boss Paul Stoddart, who is in line to buy the Italian outfit, is confident the deal will go ahead without hitches.

Stoddart emerged as a last hope for the minnows of Formula 1 late last week and is currently in Italy conducting talks that will secure the future of the Faenza-based team.

"These things take time and we thought we would be in a position to announce officially today," Stoddart exclusively told Autosport.com, "but unfortunately there's still some last minute negotiations.

"All I can say is that the talks are at a final stage and we hope to conclude a deal within the next seven days," he added. "There are no hiccups and I can see no reason why things won't be concluded satisfactorily, but it's only right and proper that I wait until it's a done deal."

Speculation has been rife as to the future of Minardi following the withdrawal of South American cable TV giant from a potential takeover last September.
'Tis good news indeed!
Old 24 Jan 2001, 23:31 (Ref:60204)   #3
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Well £35m for a place at the back of the grid. A bargin, I can just see Delboy flogging them of next week in the local market.

Still hope they do better than expected, one day there might be a Minardi on the rostrum, all I hope is that I am at the after race party, as that will be one to remember, (or perhaps to try and to recall)

Simon
Old 25 Jan 2001, 00:21 (Ref:60210)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But will they still be Minardi? Should we start buying up all their gear now for investment, er, nostalgia purposes?
Old 25 Jan 2001, 01:07 (Ref:60221)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
this is definately good news..and lets hope there future is full of points scoring positions..

will the team stay Minardi or will they be called something else ??

I hope it stays as Minardi.
Old 25 Jan 2001, 01:20 (Ref:60225)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
This appears to be the haggling stage with Giancarlo Minardi. Of greater concern at this stage is for Stoddart to get his hands on a decent engine supplier; otherwise all he will get will be a lame duck for his 35 millon quid. All the teams are busy testing right now, and these guys havn't signed over the team, have no engine nor even tyres. And what about sponsors?? It's like the guy who wants to buy a jacket from Stanley Market, but wants to haggle to get the price down and he has to keep an eye on the time the tourist bus will depart for the hotel. This is really cutting it fine!!
Old 25 Jan 2001, 03:29 (Ref:60236)   #7
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
THey will probably be called European, or perhaps Tyrrell, as the bloke buying the team has strong links with the former Tyrrell organisation.
Old 25 Jan 2001, 06:00 (Ref:60241)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to wonder how they can get a grand prix team together with such short notice. Do they even have a chassis?? There is almost no time for development, and unlikely any time to test even components.

If they qualify in Melbourne it will be a miracle. I just hope that it is not a repeat of what happened to Lola in 97.
Old 25 Jan 2001, 09:37 (Ref:60251)   #9
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently the engines will be called European, and they will front the grid in Melbourne even if Stoddard has to fly them there himself. He has the necessary hardware after all.
Old 25 Jan 2001, 17:32 (Ref:60317)   #10
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They have the M03 chassis - it has already been built in the Minardi factory. They need the engine and drivers - and hopefully these are just around the corner.

However, I am praying that this does not mean the end of the Minardi name.
Old 25 Jan 2001, 17:42 (Ref:60324)   #11
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's probably too late to change the name this season, but I think from next season, Stoddart wants to bring back the Tyrell name.

Does this mean we'll be seeing a change of name for you too, Mr Fan??
Old 25 Jan 2001, 19:17 (Ref:60337)   #12
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Great news - F1 just wouldn't be the same without Minardi.

Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan
However, I am praying that this does not mean the end of the Minardi name.
Well if it does, you'll have two options, M-Fan...

1. Keep your name and when you're still on 10 Tenths in 10 years and all the new F1 fans come, they'll say, "Who Fan???"

or

2. Change your name and start posting again from scratch...
Old 26 Jan 2001, 12:40 (Ref:60407)   #13
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had already prosed "Astromegafan", but he didn't bite....

Great news, I hope they can pull it off, but as Jay says, its reminscent of Lola in '97.
Old 26 Jan 2001, 13:35 (Ref:60412)   #14
massifheed
Racer

massifheed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they are going to use the Minardi chassis then they would have to keep the Minardi name for this year wouldn't they? I thought that each team had to build it's own chassis, or does this not apply if the team that has made the chassis has been bought by the team that is using it?
Old 26 Jan 2001, 20:02 (Ref:60475)   #15
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minardi was a great name. Nevertheless it stays to be non -trans-national-company team it mkes the to-dated F1 to be a real game. The thing I was afraid most: any big company like Toyota or Volksvagen buy it.
Old 26 Jan 2001, 23:17 (Ref:60533)   #16
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Not like 97 Lola

The 97 Lola was supposedly sponsored by one of the credit card mobs that shafted them with a massive non supply of cash. This is different - Paul Stoddart has his own money. In fact, when Minardi starts beating some of the other teams, sponsors will be queueing for space - just you wait. (However, please don't hold your breath in the meanwhile)
Old 31 Jan 2001, 09:44 (Ref:61297)   #17
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Astromegafan? Frentzenfan? Kimifan? Umm...

Minardi fan will ALWAYS be Minardi fan...

(Probably.)

Old 1 Feb 2001, 00:37 (Ref:61545)   #18
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I was just browsing through this thread, sadly, when I came across my mate AMoffat's post that Minardi will front the grid in Melbourne. Like Ray Charles said "I'd like to see that!!" Sadly though, going through some of the other posts, I think that Paul will probably ditch the name Minardi as soon as possible, probably after this season when he can lay his hands on a decent engine. And as for the Aussi hopefuls, I just hope that this will be an opportunity for some of our youngsters to get a chance to make F1 through Paul Stoddart Racing.