Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 7 Jan 2006, 12:50 (Ref:1496772)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dana & Sponsor to Rahal-Letterman

Curt Cavin reports in today's Indy Star that a deal is being finalized that would take Paul Dana and his Ethanol sponsorship to Rahal-Letterman Racing as their third driver this season

Here is the On-Line Story Link:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...601070461/1052

I wonder what this will do to Hemelgarn's team for 2006???

and if they can race, who will drive for them??? Jimmy Kite???? Jacques Lazier??? Someone else???

IMO, this deal is strictly about $$$....Paul Dana showed very little in his few races before getting injured last year....

Team Owner's signature readily comes to mind after reading about this deal that is in the works...

Yet Dana now has the third seat at Rahal-Letterman when their most consistent driver last season, Vitor Meira, is still without a ride AFAIK....

Vitor is looking, while Dana will be driving....

As the old saying goes:

Money Talks, and ___________ walks.....

It is a shame...because talent doesn't seem to be even a remote factor in this equation...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 7 Jan 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1496785)   #2
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
It seems no matter what form of racing you pick, Tim, there are scads of examples of this sort of thing. I thought Vitor made quite an impression last season with not only some really good individual efforts but a solid overall season as you pointed out.

He was clean and quick just about everywhere.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 7 Jan 2006, 14:59 (Ref:1496823)   #3
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's the nature of racing. Always has been, always will be. It's a shame Rahal-Letterman had to let Meira go, but I think it's important to remember that they didn't let Meira go because of Dana coming in, but because they had no funding to field a third car. Dana brings sufficient sponsorship to do just that, and as such I don't see a problem with it. I also think it's going to be interesting to see what Dana can do behind the wheel of a more competitive car. Assuming the deal becomes a reality, that is.

As for Hemelgarn I certainly hope they at least remain involved for the Indianapolis 500. I don't see them do the full season (unless they find primary sponsorship of course).
Old 7 Jan 2006, 18:54 (Ref:1496911)   #4
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope RLR gets plenty of money from Dana and his sponsor or has plenty of chassis because they're going to need them.

Vitor out drove both his teammates last year but doesn't have a ride, well there is a rumor on the street that he will land at Dreyer and Reinboldt soon.
Old 7 Jan 2006, 22:20 (Ref:1497006)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
thats a huge shame

But I certainly wish Dana well and hope he is at least competitive.

allthough I think of course Vitor would be a better option but money is an evil thing isnt it ?
Old 8 Jan 2006, 14:38 (Ref:1497277)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd like to see Vitor hook up with Robbie Buhl and Johnny O. and the crew at D&R...

As for Dana, See my quote about "Money Talks..."

Old 8 Jan 2006, 17:19 (Ref:1497365)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Essentially it was Dana or nobody, and it's probably good for the series that they've got this deal sorted.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 01:47 (Ref:1497576)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Essentially it was Dana or nobody, and it's probably good for the series that they've got this deal sorted.
Unless Hemelgarn wouldn't have been able to run Dana...

Who is Hemelgarn going to run now, or will he have the money to do so???

Old 9 Jan 2006, 18:13 (Ref:1497981)   #9
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
How is that good for the series? One factory team grows bigger while another privateer likely shuts his doors. Overall the car count stays the same and there is one less team in the mix.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 18:29 (Ref:1498802)   #10
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Unless Hemelgarn wouldn't have been able to run Dana...

Who is Hemelgarn going to run now, or will he have the money to do so???
\

RLR will put good cars under Paul. Now we'll see if the problem is the car or the driver. Ron has something working but it's too early to see if it will come together.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 18:34 (Ref:1498806)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Owner
\

RLR will put good cars under Paul. Now we'll see if the problem is the car or the driver. Ron has something working but it's too early to see if it will come together.

On the first point, I have no doubt about that...RLR is a top-drawer operation...let's see if Dana can drive...

On the second, I hope that something does come together for Ron Hemelgarn....he seems like a great guy who has gotten the most out of everything he has available to him and I wish him the best in putting something together for 2006.

Old 12 Jan 2006, 16:55 (Ref:1499979)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How many people thought it was a good idea when RLR hired Jourdain? They may know what they're doing.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 20:56 (Ref:1501888)   #13
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
quick question, this year the Indycars are gonna run on ethanol right?
Old 15 Jan 2006, 21:00 (Ref:1501891)   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
In 2006 it will be a mixture, I believe it to be 10% ethanol.
2007 will be ethanol-only.