Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Where Don Alonso will be laying his hat... helmet ?
Super Aguri - Shock ! A new chassis, a new driver, the world awaits ! 2 0.74%
Force India - Yeah ! Nothing like joining two forces... a new coalition 3 1.11%
Toro Rosso - Or that would be "Toro rojo", you know "Toradas" et al 0 0%
RBR - No ! That's for the aussies... Webber switching to Mac, I tell you man ! 34 12.59%
Toyota - Big names, big wishes, big budget and... ern, big whatever 25 9.26%
Williams - The girl next door... better, why not ? why not ? 15 5.56%
BMW - Those guys rock, and they'll make it big next year... 9 3.33%
Renault - Read Briatore, read Fernando's last stand, read "in love" 114 42.22%
Ferrari - Logical, desirable and the perfect place... do you hear me Montezemolo ?? 1 0.37%
McLaren - No no. In one word : no. 28 10.37%
Honda - They need it, they need it... they need it ! 7 2.59%
Saint Helena - not a team, the island, you know... Napoleon ? 26 9.63%
ProDrive - Pro what ? Oh yeah, he needs a drive ! 6 2.22%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31 Oct 2007, 12:52 (Ref:2055852)   #51
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In my eyes LH and FA were equal this year. Which is why I said Alonso has not beaten his teammate, only equalled.
If they are never in the same team again, neither can say that they beat each other given the same machinery.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 12:53 (Ref:2055853)   #52
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm afraid that a repeat of Mansell/Piquet is hard to happen. First because Piquet had the support of Honda at the time, against the whole team (actually IIRC he took away the honda engines from Williams when he went to Lotus in 88) and Alonso doesn't have this with Mercedes, and second McLaren nowadays works in a different way from the Williams team at the time.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 16:29 (Ref:2055988)   #53
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrex

Fernando, you are the weakest link, goodbye!
I wonder how strong Lewis would have been had he not benefitted from Fernando's set up knowledge, especially early on in the season?

I'm not saying that your wrong, just putting forward the point that Lewis may have gained an advantage due to the information he was being given by his team mate as opposed to having to find out for himself.

If Alfonso stays at McLaren in '08, it will be very interesting indeed as Lewis now has a season's experience, but on the downside (for him at least) he will be expected to find his own set up's (with his engineer's of course).
Old 31 Oct 2007, 16:38 (Ref:2055996)   #54
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I really doubt Hamilton will have any kind of problems with setup, these will likely have been ironed out over this season and with a few thousand miles of winter testing he'll be well prepped for 2008. Easily. There is not that much setup work goes into an F1 car nowadays in any case.

Hmmm, Wrex. Methinks you do Alonso, Hamilton and those who fought Alonso in 2005 and 2006 a huge disservice with those remarks.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 16:39 (Ref:2055998)   #55
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I really doubt Hamilton will have any kind of problems with setup, these will likely have been ironed out over this season and with a few thousand miles of winter testing he'll be well prepped for 2008.
I agree - I think having a year's experience will be very important for Hamilton next season. The mistakes he made on set-up this year aren't likely to be repeated, whether Alonso is at McLaren or not.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 31 Oct 2007, 17:59 (Ref:2056095)   #56
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alonso, where are you going to ?
Old 31 Oct 2007, 19:22 (Ref:2056178)   #57
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Alonso, where are you going to ?
Maybe he's not going anywhere.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=41216
Old 31 Oct 2007, 20:06 (Ref:2056229)   #58
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

To Toyota in NAPCAR to join JV as long as JV calls him master and agrees to never finish in front of him! Yeah right. It would be interesting though.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 22:20 (Ref:2056369)   #59
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
But according to Lewis they get on really well.
Yeah but 5 minutes ago he didn't want to be his team mate next season. Now he gets along really well with him and wants to be his team mate again

So which is/are the McLaren-prompted comment(s)?

He's a nice guy but he's too much of a PR robot...
Old 31 Oct 2007, 22:22 (Ref:2056371)   #60
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
To be fair, I think the most honest thing Lewis has said is that he's not really fussed who his team-mate is next season. He's coped perfectly well with Alonso as his team-mate in 2007, so I don't see why that would be a problem next time round; equally, the whole atmosphere in the team would probably change if Alonso cleared off to a different team, which might suit him. He's just got to get on with his own job and let McLaren and Alonso sort out their differences or agree to part ways.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 31 Oct 2007, 22:24 (Ref:2056372)   #61
roachy101
Racer

roachy101 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McClaren and Renault could do a direct swap between Alonso and Kovaliainen. It could work though i doubt Kivaleinnen would want to be in Hamilton's shadow
Old 31 Oct 2007, 22:37 (Ref:2056382)   #62
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

More and more I have the feeling that things are running differently inside McLaren than the rest of the "world" think or want. Even though I can't stand Alonso's attitude and what he did, McLaren is a business with a professional attitude after all and therefore they will deal properly rather than some sort of "revenge" or "payback" decision. They will take the more profitable (in any way) decision.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 22:44 (Ref:2056388)   #63
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Hmmm, Wrex. Methinks you do Alonso, Hamilton and those who fought Alonso in 2005 and 2006 a huge disservice with those remarks.
Excellent, looks like I upset everyone with one post. Opps, hang on a sec, did I mention Webber, Verstappen and Villenueve suck?

To put my previous post into context, I am far from saying Alonso is not a good driver. I still rank him as one of the top drivers in the world, just a drop down on previous champions. Similar to MotoGp, Stoner is a nice guy and all, and a worthy champ, but he's no Rossi or Dohan (IMHO).

My point being, Alonso winning 2005/2006 didn't mean he was the best driver in F1 IMO, and Hamilton being his match this season doesn't make him the 2nd coming either.

I'll also admit my opinion of Alonso has be clouded this season by his off track behavior. I'm no fan of RD, and quiet frankly am one of the minority that think they got of too easy, but his lack of loyalty to McLaren and Ron has been disgraceful. For a WDC and a role model, he has acted like a child.

Perhaps a season or 2 in a backmarker car being lapped by his former rookie team mate will humble him, so he can go back and be the driver his fans know he can be.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 22:52 (Ref:2056395)   #64
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

A child without morals... Honestly, I've been saying this before it all started, so I won't go there again.

I don't believe in 2 or more seasons suffering... he better leave while some people still think of him as a champion.

SAINT HELENA !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 1 Nov 2007, 10:12 (Ref:2056684)   #65
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Off Topic

Quote:
Stoner is a nice guy and all, and a worthy champ, but he's no Rossi or Dohan (IMHO).
Interesting, I think he will prove to be better than both.

/Off Topic
Old 1 Nov 2007, 10:28 (Ref:2056701)   #66
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Back to the original question, where will Alonsos lay his hat?

I think it boils down to where McLaren allow him to lay his hat. I don't believe they'll allow him to compete with another team, which leaves him only a few of choices, Stay put, year off, or how about a seat with ProDrive?! Which is why I went for the year off option.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 12:32 (Ref:2056838)   #67
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard he was taking a year out,just so he and Hamilton can get the House in Switzerland round to how they want it.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 13:03 (Ref:2056869)   #68
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well then we know who is the lady of the house then .
Old 1 Nov 2007, 18:15 (Ref:2057103)   #69
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrex
My point being, Alonso winning 2005/2006 didn't mean he was the best driver in F1 IMO, and Hamilton being his match this season doesn't make him the 2nd coming either.
There's a suggestion circulating that Alonso's titles in '05 and '06 owed more to the Renaults he had at his disposal than to the man himself, which would confirm both your theories.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 18:20 (Ref:2057106)   #70
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The more I read, the more I think he'll be at McLaren. Alonso won't want to move to an uncompetitive car, and there are no competitive seats left - Ferrari and BMW are filled, Renault can't afford him, the rest are not worth thinking about.

McLaren may sack him, but that would lead to all sorts of problems.

I think they'll just try and work on the problems of this year.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 18:28 (Ref:2057116)   #71
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
There's a suggestion circulating that Alonso's titles in '05 and '06 owed more to the Renaults he had at his disposal than to the man himself, which would confirm both your theories.
I just don't see how that conclusion can be reached. At all.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 18:43 (Ref:2057125)   #72
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
He made one mistake in 2005 and 2006 combined. A fine record. I agree with Wrex that he can not as yet be put down in the 'all time great' champions list. But in 2005 and 2006 he did exactly what Michael Schumacher did in 2002 and 2004 i.e. being consistently quick in a quick car.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 18:45 (Ref:2057128)   #73
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

His car wasn't as dominant as the 2002 and 2004 Ferrari's though.

I actually thought Alonso a match for Schumacher. I think both at their peaks, Michael has the slight upper hand. Of course, Alonso will not match Schumacher's career stats but then nobody will. It is less and less likely you will find yourself in the strongest team for a massive stretch of time whilst maintaining motivation like Michael did. In fact, I'd say it won't happen again - it was one in a million!
Old 1 Nov 2007, 19:05 (Ref:2057143)   #74
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
His car wasn't as dominant as the 2002 and 2004 Ferrari's though.
This is true. Makes his achievements in 2005 and 2006 more impressive. Infact towards the end of those seasons his car was 2nd quickest.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 20:33 (Ref:2057202)   #75
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso options

Here we go, http://formula-1.updatesport.com/new...only/view.html very interesting, if i was DC i would be getting a little nervous, i think we all assume Red Bull are going to be strong next year, can you imagine Alonso in all his pomp in a Newey design, with a point to prove as well, could be really good.