Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 10 Dec 2003, 18:58 (Ref:808576)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tracy To NASCAR? Impact?

As you may be aware, rumours are flying that CART champion Paul Tracy of Canada is to renege on his contract with the Forsythe team and switch to Jack Roush's NASCAR team. What do you think the implications to NASCAR of this would be?

1 How well would he do, bearing in mind that CART hasn't had many oval races this year?

2 Do you think it would boost NASCAR's international popularity?

3 Is it indicative of a trend for a lot of non-Americans gettng involved? With Fukuyama, Fitiapldi and Fellows racing at times, the ASCAR oval series in Europe (which has produced Michael Vergers), and the possibility that IRL drivers who race on ovals all the time) such as Brack and Kanaan considering the series, will we see 10+ regualr non-US drivers by 2010?
Old 10 Dec 2003, 19:15 (Ref:808592)   #2
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
easily more than 10 non-US driver by 2010- but remember that NASCAR does Farm its talent primarily from Busch and Trucks to go to CUP, so the owners are old school save for Cheap Ganassi, and Penske who will look other places easy. Fittipaldi racing at PEtty Enterprises is a shock to me, but it may have been in the wake of NASCAR's diversity program, to get no n US drivers and NON 'white' guys driving (although we know the screwy 'classification' system in the conservative US calls anyone not born in north europe and not US or Canadian something other than white/caucasian- so fitipaldi being Brasilian qualifies as non-cuacasian even if he is! damn those conservatives!)
I digress sorry- i especially see new drivers coming form the UK and Australia Dirt tracks making inroads into NASCAR, but money or not, an F1 driver is still F1, and being a hero in DTM in you homeland is still huge more than 5 million a year, especially if you get 2 million (that is stil a boatload of money) I for one would love to race in DTM- and I am not european, over NASCAR maybe, I like to be the underdog and the Wunderkind from somewhere else. of course this is not a likely scenario, maybe stuck in club races and paved short track ovals forever, but those few laps in the car are worth millions every second.
Old 11 Dec 2003, 04:03 (Ref:808936)   #3
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Tracy could make it in Nascar and maybe not. A full season in Busch would be beneficial to him otherwise he may fall flat on his butt.

I would like to see Nascar run a race or two in Canada. I believe the great fans up there would love the racing.
Old 11 Dec 2003, 04:20 (Ref:808939)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah...I'm sure it could happen - there were even rumours/talks/wild speculation that Montreal would be a possibility if anything happened to CART.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 11 Dec 2003, 06:45 (Ref:808984)   #5
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PT is shrewd guy and he's getting out while the gettin's good. Much as it pains me to say it CART right now is a busted flush whose remaing racing personal are what Nigel Benn (erstwhile world middleweight champ) euphemistically termed "a bunch of mexican roadsweepers" I feel sure Tracy will do a good job on the ovals, the balls out, combative style of racing will be right up his alley. I for one look forward to watching the great man do battle on, and very possibly off the track.
Old 11 Dec 2003, 16:10 (Ref:809360)   #6
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I owned a NASCAR team Paul Tracy would be my first choice for a driver. I think he has what it takes to succeed. It may take a little time and experience for him to get used to the cars and the driving style, but if anyone can make I would think it could be Paul Tracy. It would take some dedication from the team owner to allow him to build on his experience though

J.D.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 04:01 (Ref:809779)   #7
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't get me wrong, I think that Tracy could make it in Nascar but still believe a full season in Busch would be neccessary. It could be a disaster for him to go right in to Nascar.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 04:29 (Ref:809795)   #8
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
i agree with that. An ABC schedule (ARCA, Busch, Cup) would probally be the way to go to gain the required experience for stock cars. This experience would be probally be necessary for Tracy to achieve maximum success in NASCAR.

J.D.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 19:51 (Ref:810501)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A race at Montreal is probably a wild rumour, although it wouldn't surprise me if the IRL tried to get a race there. Seeing stock cars on the track would be interesting.

Adjusting to NASCARs is a big challenge for any driver, and perhaps harder for guys who've been in open-wheelers for years. Paul will find the races tough and brutal at first, and will be all too tempted to moan about driving standards - which I think he should avoid, as no one in NASCAR (or America as a whole) likes a crybaby.

I'd probably start the season planning to run him in the bulk of the Busch schedule, alongside maybe 6-8 Nextel races, including the Daytona 500 if he shows well in testing. If he impresses early, that can be adjusted, but it might be worth him keeping his rookie status through to 2005.
Old 13 Dec 2003, 01:12 (Ref:810677)   #10
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
If Nascar was to hold 2 races in Canada a new track could be built somewhere and it would get its money back in short order. The payback is pretty good for tracks. That is why everyone is crying to get commitments for their city.
Old 15 Dec 2003, 19:30 (Ref:812426)   #11
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know that Tracy would pick it right up. But he is probably aggressive enough for it. By the way, here's the link to an interview with Ron Fellows.

http://www.rfmsports.com/IMSA/ALMS/S...s.Fellows.html

In it he mentions Tracy being able to race in NASCAR. He also has some great comments on the skill required to drive a Winston/Nextel Cup car. Jacques Villeneuve has also shown some interest in NASCAR.
Old 15 Dec 2003, 22:08 (Ref:812576)   #12
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
tracy to nascar get real its not gonna happen there just rumours with no substance paul tracy will start in cart next year subject to it being there if cart folds i would expect him in the irl at some stage but nascar no way my only wish was that he showed more disapline earlier in his career then he may have got an f1 drive
Old 16 Dec 2003, 20:40 (Ref:813412)   #13
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
I don't think Tracy would go to the IRL after the deal at Indy a few years ago. From what I've seen and heard on the internet it looks like he's pretty game to go to NASCAR if CART folds.

J.D.
Old 28 Dec 2003, 06:21 (Ref:821678)   #14
Beerman3000
Rookie

Beerman3000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kingfloopy
If I owned a NASCAR team Paul Tracy would be my first choice for a driver. I think he has what it takes to succeed. It may take a little time and experience for him to get used to the cars and the driving style, but if anyone can make I would think it could be Paul Tracy. It would take some dedication from the team owner to allow him to build on his experience though

J.D.
LMAO, he's already got the style down pat!!! I think he'd make a kick azzzzz NASCAR driver. Best bet would be to run a full Busch schedule and a ltd. Cup car schedule.

Fittipaldi should've stuck with open wheel racing of any sort until he could've found a quality NASCAR ride. He has to potential to do well, but not driving for Petty Enterprises. That team hasn't been competitive for years now. They're in it for one reason, and one reason only... $$$!!! Ya, I know, they're all in it for the $$$ to some respect. But it's downright laughable to think that the Petty's could, or even would, think that they got a chance at winning a single race, let alone a championship. I kinda wonder where Christian got the advice to hook up with them in the first place???

Sorry to get off topic
Old 28 Dec 2003, 09:32 (Ref:821724)   #15
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
has tracy really signed with roush for 2004 - think he would love rubbin with robby gordon imagine them too at bristol, side by side.....
Old 28 Dec 2003, 15:56 (Ref:821857)   #16
Beerman3000
Rookie

Beerman3000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Bristol huh??? LMAO That would be too cool!!! What about on the road tracks??? Those two wouldn't let Jeff Gordon get past lap 15!!! roflmmfao!!!
Old 31 Dec 2003, 07:55 (Ref:824280)   #17
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Tracy's aggressive style would be ideal for NASCAR and I have wondered why he hasn't tried to make the move before.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 13:28 (Ref:825699)   #18
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
so is it confirmed
Old 6 Jan 2004, 22:24 (Ref:829932)   #19
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
no gomick it aint confirmed - he only had words with rcr.... should be back to defend his champ car title in 04
Old 7 Jan 2004, 21:57 (Ref:830952)   #20
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey gomick - you weren't expecting an answer were you? Everyone has left the room. Next time you'd be better off asking Jayski!