Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 31 Jul 2005, 00:44 (Ref:1367878)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Tracy and NASCAR

This really scares me. I've been hearing too much "NASCAR" talk out of Tracy lately, especially when he co-hosted WindTunnel awhile ago.

Quote:
Forsythe Championship Racing has agreed to facilitate... Paul Tracy in an exploratory foray into stock car racing. Tracy will test a Richard Childress-owned stock car prior to possibly participating in a NASCAR event later this year on a weekend that does not conflict with the Champ Car season.

"Jerry Forsythe told me that I have a Champ Car ride with his team for as long as I want" said Tracy. "We have another championship or two still to win here in open wheel, but it's no secret that I've been thinking about the next phase of my racing career."

"Paul has never driven better than he's driving right now" continued Forsythe, "so I believe he has another Vanderbilt Cup or two up his sleeve before we're going to be 100% ready to see him venture off into the next chapter of his career..."
CCWS Article
Old 31 Jul 2005, 06:55 (Ref:1367960)   #2
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah I watched him on wind-Tunnel too and herd him talk about NassCar and what I got from him was, and this is my opinion of what he was not willing to say or whatever.

Thats where the money is, but my heart is open wheel racing, but I can't race open wheel race cars till im in my late 40's so sometime in the future I'd like to get into NassCar and race till I am ready to retire and make alot of cash.

I think Paul really cares about Champ Car and will stay as long as he can but NassCar has a huge following, lots of competition, and its just something that he hasn't done yet that maybe he would like to do. I really don't think NassCar and Pauls temper will mix very well but if he wants to try, its his life but i will be sad to see him leave Champ Car, especially when his rivalry with Bourdias is really starting to heat up and Champ Car seems to be really turning its fans and even the IRL fans on.
Old 31 Jul 2005, 09:25 (Ref:1368049)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ignoring the appalling lack of error-checking in the quoted article, NASCAR is keen to get a Canadian driver on board. From waht's been said in other threads on here, yougn Canadian drivers are targeting the junior stock car championships, and having someone like Paul in there could be a great force for that, and a great attraction for a Canadian race. If Paul does do a couple of races this year it doesn't have to be bad thing - firstly he may spend a number of years doing the odd Nextel race before making a full-on Rookie attack, and also, think of the promotional advantage of the series name being used frequently to explain to NASCAR viewers who this guy is.
Old 31 Jul 2005, 10:41 (Ref:1368106)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We hear this every year, and he hasn't quit ChampCar yet.
Old 31 Jul 2005, 10:59 (Ref:1368119)   #5
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently he will test in Michigan and then race in 3 weeks time

http://speedtv.com/articles/auto/nascar/18567/
Old 31 Jul 2005, 14:41 (Ref:1368271)   #6
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that it is going to be on an oval. Granted he is probably the best suited Canadian for an oval, but I thought he would have made his NASCAR debut on a road-course. This will be a good indicator for him as to what the competition is REALLY all about in NASCAR.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 31 Jul 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1368346)   #7
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard Tracy singing the Nascar tune one too many times
Old 31 Jul 2005, 18:26 (Ref:1368396)   #8
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know what? If he wants to go to NASCAR so badly then let him. CC does not survive on one driver. Yeah, it'll be a shame to see Paul Tracy go, but CC has some up-and-comers.

He'll just learn like Christian Fittapaldi that going to NASCAR is one thing; being successful in NASCAR is another thing.
Old 31 Jul 2005, 19:03 (Ref:1368418)   #9
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
There is a lot of difference between PT and Christian Fittipaldi. Robby Gordon has done ok and I think PT will be better than he is.

Why begrudge PT talking about NASCAR? He has to look at alternatives. If the amigos decide they need him and pony up the cash then great. If not why not look where the dollars are.

PT would be a big loss to ChampCar. He is the most identified driver and the most colourful. Sure there are others with potential but they are not there yet.
Old 31 Jul 2005, 22:02 (Ref:1368559)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Derek Daly just said during the San Jose telecast that he will be testing for Richard Childress on Tuesday and is looking at the Michigan race
Old 31 Jul 2005, 22:05 (Ref:1368563)   #11
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also looking at Watkins Glen.
Old 31 Jul 2005, 22:30 (Ref:1368589)   #12
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
There is a conflict with the Glen. The Denver race is August 14th and so is the Watkins Glen race. Too bad! Seeing Tracy up against Ron Fellows would be great viewing.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 31 Jul 2005, 23:20 (Ref:1368621)   #13
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tracy is a big, and I mean BIG draw for the Canadian events. It's important to have a Canadian who's regularily capable of winning, just like we need an American who can do the same.
Old 31 Jul 2005, 23:28 (Ref:1368630)   #14
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
PT is very important to the series. I think he wants to go to Nascar before he starts to lose it in CC and thus loses his appeal to Nascar. I think he may be of the impression that he isn't as good as Bourdais and thus wants to cut his loses.

He's been more mature this year, but I wonder, is that simply because he's lost some of his passion for CC and thus he doesn't get as upset?

I'm worried because if he leaves there are fewer drivers for people in the US/Canadian markets to identify with. Keep in mind that Vasser is leaving too. AJ is having a mental meltdown.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 02:42 (Ref:1368697)   #15
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On Wind Tunnel RM said that he believes that PT will go to Nascar next year. He said he thinks PT's prime motivation is money. We'll have to keep our fingers crossed that he bombs in his Nascar race(s) this season.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 03:28 (Ref:1368708)   #16
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
We'll have to keep our fingers crossed that he bombs in his Nascar race(s) this season.
I hope PT does well. If the amigos can't make it worth his while to stay why wouldn't PT look after himself by making the move.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 07:02 (Ref:1368760)   #17
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
He said he thinks PT's prime motivation is money. We'll have to keep our fingers crossed that he bombs in his Nascar race(s) this season.
Even if Tracy was to have a hard time in the races he might run this year, I doubt that would make him any less interested in NASCAR (or make Childress any less interested in him). Not to mention that even if you "bomb" you can make a fair amount of cash in NASCAR: Christian Fittipaldi pulled in $1,305,430 over 16 scattered starts in 2002/2003 - and that was with an average finish of 35.7...
Old 1 Aug 2005, 07:24 (Ref:1368766)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosport67
If the amigos can't make it worth his while to stay why wouldn't PT look after himself by making the move.

It should not be up to the bosses of a series to hire the drivers.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 08:32 (Ref:1368823)   #19
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
While it shouldn't be, the reality is that the bosses of the series are also the key team owners.

A series that is trying to restore itself to its former glory needs to look at who the drivers are. This especially true with one of the leading drivers who is also a character who provides interest for the media and fans.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 14:31 (Ref:1369223)   #20
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
In this case it is, considering that Forsythe is one of the amigos.
One would have to be pretty naive as well to think that the owners of a series wouldn't have some say as to which drivers get a look at any given series. Bernie knows the value of certain drivers and promotes that. The IRL has learned the value of Danica. While obviously not neccessary it wouldn't be a big shock if the series invested in her future, and I wouldn't blame them. The France family doesn't need to put any money in RCR's pocket, but considering PT's stature in Canada, you can be sure they are definitely promoting the idea of hiring PT. NASCAR is popular enough in Canada, with the addition of PT it would go through the roof. Personally for a fringe fan like myself I would probably pay closer attention to the series, and I am a diehard OW fan.
As it stands I hope PT does well. I think he'll handle the car fine, the racing will be something altogether different however.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 16:21 (Ref:1369344)   #21
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy-ace
Interesting that it is going to be on an oval. Granted he is probably the best suited Canadian for an oval, but I thought he would have made his NASCAR debut on a road-course. This will be a good indicator for him as to what the competition is REALLY all about in NASCAR.
In a recent conversation with a colleague well-versed in NASCAR, he said the following ..... "The big ovals seem to be the easiest place for a non-stock-car driver to adapt to, so Tracy’s chances of qualifying and being able to race with the field look pretty good. Erin Croker is a current example of an “outsider” driver being introduced to stock car racing via the big ovals. She had a very good run in an Evernham car at MIS in June."

Ted
Old 1 Aug 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1369437)   #22
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm glad to see that Paul Tracy will get a shot in a stock car. It'll be great to get a driver with some personallity in NASCAR. If RCR will stick with him and let him adapt to the stock car he'll run well. I'm sure the money is the biggest draw and NASCAR has a massive fan base also compared to any of the major open wheel series. NASCAR has been trying to spread out across North America with a Busch series race in Mexico and by working with CASCAR. There are also may be a Canadian Busch race next year. So the timing seems to be right for Tracy to move into NASCAR.

J.D.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 17:42 (Ref:1369442)   #23
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
That's a lot of money for Christian, although presumably he had to share much of that with the team? I'm hoping that RCR will lose interest in PT, but that may be too much to hope for.

I wouldn't start watching Nascar if PT joined, but I can see why it would help Nascar and potentially convert a fan or two.

The big ovals in Nascar are foot to the floor affairs, so it stands to reason that outside drivers essentially don't have to learn to drive the cars. That's an exageration, but not having to determine a car's performance potential and not having to worry about going too deep into a corner or taking a corner too fast is a big difference.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1369548)   #24
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Quote:
I wouldn't start watching Nascar if PT joined, but I can see why it would help Nascar and potentially convert a fan or two.
Can you honestly say that you wouldn't tune in, even out of curiosity?
Old 1 Aug 2005, 19:58 (Ref:1369579)   #25
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega99
Tracy is a big, and I mean BIG draw for the Canadian events. It's important to have a Canadian who's regularily capable of winning, just like we need an American who can do the same.
Don't forget that Tagliani is canadian and talented as well...