Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Dec 2008, 18:40 (Ref:2349090)   #26
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Jenson expressed interest in moving over to sportscars i would have a feeling he would be quickly snapped up by one of the big factory outfit's, Audi, Peugeot, Acura, Porsche, Ferrari etc.
I could not see someone of Jenson's calibre driving for a smaller bespoke team such as Creation, Pescarolo, Oreca etc, although if Jenson did drive for a smaller team ala Creation, i would almost certainly think it would drum up extra cash for the team.

Any more word as well on wether Rubens Barrichello will drive for Acura at sebring in March?
Old 7 Dec 2008, 11:39 (Ref:2349494)   #27
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
I'm all for it that Ecclestone stays in F1 conjuring up all kind of "bright" idea's(like the medals and races in "exotic" places) 'cause this'll only make F1 less popular and sportscar/endurance racing more popular.

Thrue the years I've turned many an F1 nut into sportscar nuts and it usually didn't take much effort for sportscarracing is just a lot more honest and touchable then the high 'nd mighty F1 circus.

Appart from all this,it's sad to see Aston putting their LMP1 project on a hold and I reccon they won't be the only ones delaying or cancelling a sportscar project...

Oh well,look at the bright side,the Nurnburgring 24hrs and Spa 24hrs will be even better to watch with grids bursting with all kinds of GT's!
Old 7 Dec 2008, 12:02 (Ref:2349506)   #28
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Perhaps this should be renamed LMPs parting shot to GT racing

I don't follow the logic about the GT cars at Spa and Nurburgring. Why will there be more cars there?
Old 7 Dec 2008, 16:47 (Ref:2349646)   #29
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At a manufacturer level the economy will effect all series equally.

Rather than huge F1 teams with 800 personal, manufacturer's could support F1 with an engine program, compete at Le Mans, and in the WRC for a similar total budget.

Sportscars has maintained a privateer scene, manufacturer withdrawal's can be sustained, F1 doesn't appear to have such a back-up plan. Button and co. may have once turned their noses up at an Le Mans or IRL drive, that may have to change, ever increasing budgets and salaries appear a thing of the past.
Old 7 Dec 2008, 16:53 (Ref:2349650)   #30
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Perhaps this should be renamed LMPs parting shot to GT racing

I don't follow the logic about the GT cars at Spa and Nurburgring. Why will there be more cars there?
Well maybe not more,but surely more different marques will go for GT racers.
As said before,it'll be easier for manufacturers to explain a GT racing campain.
Old 7 Dec 2008, 17:21 (Ref:2349666)   #31
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour
As said before,it'll be easier for manufacturers to explain a GT racing campain.
GT/Touring cars/WRC promotes a specific model, LMP/F1 can promote the brand and technology, best seen in recent years with diesel LMP's.
Old 7 Dec 2008, 19:33 (Ref:2349759)   #32
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour
only if you have a car to race which fits the category, and a budget to develop and run it. i don't see many firms out there who have that, who aren't already running where they want to be...
Old 7 Dec 2008, 19:46 (Ref:2349768)   #33
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
The collapse of the current structure of F1 seems to be happening simply due to economics and an aversion to extortion.

Fortunately the actions of the ACO in removing their rules and Formula from the direct interference of the FIA bodes well for the future survival of international endurance racing.
As long as there is a place for them manufacturers will support endurance programes in both GT and prototype racing so I think if it continues to be well managed it will be fine.

Their will be some very fine drivers around who are worthy and will want to be employed.
Old 8 Dec 2008, 02:59 (Ref:2350005)   #34
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Maybe Max's "sessions" are getting more expesive.

Canada should be happy they dont have an F1 race now. Save lots of money.

I dont think Honda should sell their team or the team slots. Just lease out those grid positions if they can for a few years.
While hosting an F1 race is expensive the impact on the economy is far greater. On the bright side, once things improve economically globally this leaves a spring date open for ALMS in Montreal
Old 8 Dec 2008, 07:13 (Ref:2350058)   #35
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I was thinking about the ALMS during this whole affair. In the time before it was over, but the whole thing was well under way, I was thnking I could live with losing the F1GP if it meant a second ALMS round in Canada.

I'd like it if they could hold it back-to-back, no weekends off inbetween, with the round at Mosport (I cannot see them prefering an alternative way for the two Canadian rounds to be organised). I would definitely turn the usual trip from Calgary for the Mosport round into a longer one to include the Montreal round.

(I don't suppose we've had any word yet about what is going to be filling the void? It'd be a shame if NASCAR nabbed it: not that I mind NASCAR, but they already have one weekend.)

Last edited by Dutton; 8 Dec 2008 at 07:19.
Old 8 Dec 2008, 13:24 (Ref:2350257)   #36
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
There is an article here about the Honda Withdrawel from F1. Potentially significant for sportscars is the speculation at the bottom that Peugeot- Citroen may be interested in buying the team.

I find this hard to beleive that any manufacturer would consider spending the sort of money necessary in these times but it is worth noting for its potential effect on the sportscar programme

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21028.html
Old 8 Dec 2008, 13:47 (Ref:2350274)   #37
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dutton you come all the way to Mosport from Calgary for the race?

That is dedication - do you drive it?
Old 8 Dec 2008, 16:42 (Ref:2350357)   #38
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo

Unfortunately no ALMS race is close to Calgary (Any race for that matter except Edmonton indy). The closest is Salt Lake City then Laguna Seca! Check out the flight time to Petit Le Mans or Sebring from Calgary, I wouldn't miss either though
Back on topic, if David Richards buys the Honda F1 team that would definitely be a negative if they stop sportscar operations to focus on F1, likewise with Peugeot. There appears to be a glut of quality drivers on the market right now so even though the grids are shrinking the level of driving should be higher, that could be a positive impact.
As for the Montreal ALMS round, Dutton is right, it would make sense to have it and Mosport back to back as I seem to recall one team had border issues this year so it would be great to minimize those.
Old 9 Dec 2008, 02:26 (Ref:2350660)   #39
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo

I've only gone in 2007 and 2008 (I moved to Canada too late in 2004 to be able to get there, and in 2005 and 2006 didn't motivate myself adequately). That first trip there made it a no-brainer that I'd go every following year, for it is just too great a weekend to miss.

In 2007, I flew from Calgary to Toronto (where I got the hire car), then flew back again from Toronto. In 2008, I was up in Yellowknife: I drove from Yellowknife to Calgary, then got a bus from there to Edmonton; I got the train from Edmonton to Toronto (obviously, the hire car from there); I flew back from Toronto to Calgary.

Both times I have arrived in Toronto in the evening on the Wed, then made my way up to the track on Thursday. From 2009, I am just going to bang straight up on the Wed night. In 2007 I left the track on the Sunday evening at about 1930, whilst in 2008 I left it at about 0430 on the Monday: I think I am going to make a habit of leaving on the Monday, since it was really nice having the Sunday night to just take in the splendour of the place. It is nice seeing the transitions from the quiet Thursday (although it seemed much busier this year than last), up through the stages to the hustle and bustle of Sunday, then back down to quiet as everyone floods out. It makes the weekend feel complete.

All in all, it works out as one expensive race weekend. There is no doubt it is totally worth it, though.

Anyway, I had better stop with the off-topicness.

Last edited by Dutton; 9 Dec 2008 at 02:35.