Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 1 Jun 2008, 18:58 (Ref:2217057)   #451
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Nice runs today by Pesca and Oreca, and also the Lola Aston. Looks like they worked on setup and didn't risk doing anything harmful.
Old 1 Jun 2008, 18:58 (Ref:2217058)   #452
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I understood it, the angled sides were designed to stop the sudden loss of ground-effect induced grip when the car went sideways. And surely the shape of the transverse section would act as a venturi if the car was going sideways and actually produce some down-force. I think these flying cars are caused by things other than the shape of the underside. Just the fact that you have a large flat surface means that if you get launched by a kerb or by hitting a wall then you're going to catch some air. Formula cars don't do it so much because they don't present such a large flat area.
Old 1 Jun 2008, 19:00 (Ref:2217062)   #453
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
Trust me, Champion does not own that R8. Audi is letting the team race it, due to the tightknit relationship between Champion and Audi.
Champion arnt racing it . Its privately owned , the one racing in historics . Shouldnt be allowed to race in historics anyway , its hardly historic yet . Bet its newer than most peoples day car !!!
Old 1 Jun 2008, 19:10 (Ref:2217076)   #454
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Champion arnt racing it . Its privately owned , the one racing in historics . Shouldnt be allowed to race in historics anyway , its hardly historic yet . Bet its newer than most peoples day car !!!
Historic Sportscar Racing. I am not sure they have turned many people away. At Sebring late 2006 there was a newish Grand Am spec Rx-8 running around, and Spec Miatas.

SORRY, drifting into Off Topic Land.
Old 1 Jun 2008, 19:12 (Ref:2217078)   #455
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would love if we could find out how the Peugeot Lifted!, right now it seems to be Peugeot's biggest problem!
Old 1 Jun 2008, 19:15 (Ref:2217082)   #456
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Please take the Aero woes of the current cars here please!
Old 1 Jun 2008, 19:16 (Ref:2217086)   #457
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What do we reckon about Spyker? Pretty much a Test Day disaster for both teams, wasn't it? OK, they weren't going to mix it with the Ferraris and Porsches, but stone bottom of the table with only 19 laps in the first session between them and 22 in the second, (none for the Speedy car.....) What does the race proper hold for them apart from embarrassment?
Old 1 Jun 2008, 19:21 (Ref:2217089)   #458
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
What do we reckon about Spyker? Pretty much a Test Day disaster for both teams, wasn't it? OK, they weren't going to mix it with the Ferraris and Porsches, but stone bottom of the table with only 19 laps in the first session between them and 22 in the second, (none for the Speedy car.....) What does the race proper hold for them apart from embarrassment?
So Kelleners got in his laps??

L.P.
Old 1 Jun 2008, 19:21 (Ref:2217090)   #459
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Please take the Aero woes of the current cars here please!
Well, let me ask the question in an other way:
Do Peugeot have a problem with the car in high speed corners?, and is this something Audi can use?
Old 1 Jun 2008, 19:22 (Ref:2217091)   #460
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The Snoras Spyker Squadron car blew an engine, and for some reason they had no extra engine with them. So to secure that "rookie" Ralf Kelleners was allowed to start the race, they borrowed the engine from Speedy Racing Team. So they had to lift the engine from one car to the next..

So there is an explanation, however strange to see the engine shortage. No matter if they run the old or the new engine, maybe the latter is the real cause..

Last edited by Aslak Vind; 1 Jun 2008 at 19:27.
Old 1 Jun 2008, 19:25 (Ref:2217096)   #461
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry for busting your bubble, please ask Henri Pescarolo when he had the last chance to prove himself at La Sarthe. Trust me, it is far to late for that..
The Pescarolos outpaced the R8s in 2005, what with the Audis being heavily restricted for running LMP900 rules. If the Pescrolos hadn't had so many problems then they would have won.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 1 Jun 2008, 19:27 (Ref:2217098)   #462
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
The Pescarolos outpaced the R8s in 2005, what with the Audis being heavily restricted for running LMP900 rules. If the Pescrolos hadn't had so many problems then they would have won.
Correct, but that is three years ago..
Old 1 Jun 2008, 19:28 (Ref:2217102)   #463
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD
Well, let me ask the question in an other way:
Do Peugeot have a problem with the car in high speed corners?, and is this something Audi can use?

I think the point is that there is already a thread dedicated to this where further discussion would be most apposite............
Old 1 Jun 2008, 19:36 (Ref:2217111)   #464
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
I think the point is that there is already a thread dedicated to this where further discussion would be most apposite............
I don't wont to discuss the Aero part, because i don't understand much of it. What i'm interested in is the fact that Audi might just seen a week spot on the Peugeot, where they can push them to make mistakes! (don't know if i made that one more clear)
Old 1 Jun 2008, 19:39 (Ref:2217121)   #465
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Correct, but that is three years ago..
Well in 2006 the roles was switched!, the Audi was the fast one, and Pescarolo the reliable one!, they would have taken the victory if the Audi nr. 1 had an error or accident!
Old 1 Jun 2008, 19:39 (Ref:2217122)   #466
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
OK, fair point, but any argument will inevitably revolve around whether there is actually a weak point there to be taken advantage of..... (What the hell, there are so many threads here now discussing similar issues, I may as well merge them all...... )
Old 1 Jun 2008, 19:40 (Ref:2217126)   #467
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD
Well in 2006 the roles was switched!, the Audi was the fast one, and Pescarolo the reliable one!, they would have taken the victory if the Audi nr. 1 had an error or accident!
Look guys, you are missing the point. The point is that it is pretty far fetched for a privateer to make the mark at Le Mans these days,
Old 1 Jun 2008, 19:48 (Ref:2217136)   #468
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Look guys, you are missing the point. The point is that it is pretty far fetched for a privateer to make the mark at Le Mans these days,
When was the last time a small constructor won LeMans? Rondeau in 1980?
Old 1 Jun 2008, 19:50 (Ref:2217140)   #469
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
When was the last time a small constructor won LeMans? Rondeau in 1980?
I give up..
Old 1 Jun 2008, 19:54 (Ref:2217151)   #470
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
OK, fair point, but any argument will inevitably revolve around whether there is actually a weak point there to be taken advantage of..... (What the hell, there are so many threads here now discussing similar issues, I may as well merge them all...... )
perhaps. But i just want to know, if it is possible that Audi can exploit this weakness?
Old 1 Jun 2008, 19:57 (Ref:2217157)   #471
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Yes your right. a Privateer will maybe never be a favorite to take the victory like Joest did in 1996 and 1997. But try to look back in history, they have almost never had a race without a major manufacture being the favorites!
Old 1 Jun 2008, 20:15 (Ref:2217179)   #472
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Allright

What is your general impressions of today, apart from the crashes?

I am still impressed with Sarrazin, this guy is fast. However, I am waiting much to come from Franck montagny as well. Apart from that, interesting that the choice of rubber did not seperate van Merksteijn and the Team Essex Porsches. Apart from the fact, that Casper was off.

How about the Porsche vs Ferrari battle in GT2? Quite few Porsches to fight the Ferrari might? In GT1 Magnussen did tell, that Corvette has a new project on its way after Le Mans. Exciting

And the LMP1 battle seems to get pretty tough, I really long to see and hear the Lola Aston Martin scream down La Sarthe.
Old 1 Jun 2008, 20:36 (Ref:2217207)   #473
Sarthe82
Racer

United Kingdom
Surrey
Sarthe82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The Snoras Spyker Squadron car blew an engine, and for some reason they had no extra engine with them. So to secure that "rookie" Ralf Kelleners was allowed to start the race, they borrowed the engine from Speedy Racing Team. So they had to lift the engine from one car to the next..

So there is an explanation, however strange to see the engine shortage. No matter if they run the old or the new engine, maybe the latter is the real cause..
So they turn up with two cars and no spare engine, couldn't believe that when I heard it on RLM earlier. Personally I think Spyker have been at this LM lark long enough to be a lot more competitive and also to show some basic level of professionalism, obviously Porsche and Ferrari are incredibly tough opponents to beat but Panoz managed it a couple of years ago! Alright the car looks and sounds great but I'm getting weary of this 'quirky and crazy' approach, especially from a manufacturer who's been given two entries which could have gone to infinitely more competitive teams.
Old 1 Jun 2008, 20:44 (Ref:2217219)   #474
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis
Eh, what the sporting rules say about making a new car at this point?
Once the original car has been hologated, it is no big deal.

Audi runs more then 2 cars each season, more like 4 differnt cars and rotates them almost every other race as the previours ones are rebuilt.

Does not Pug have three of the cars? Two to race and a spare
You got it wrong... I was talking about this race, now that the #7 Pug is finished because of the Gene's crash, is bringing/building a new chassis just a matter of paper work and getting it through the scrutineering?
Old 1 Jun 2008, 20:52 (Ref:2217227)   #475
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
I remember a few years ago, where Tom Kristensen was forced to run a one year old tub, after a smash before the race. They actually picked it up at Champions factory in the US..