Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Aug 2000, 10:04 (Ref:29089)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As I was writing it I was thinking "manager" rather than Patron. But then I thought, who could have stopped it and didn't?

Tim. Didn't Prost try to run Mansell into the pit wall at Portugal in 1990? (They were team mates at the time I think).

Just thinking about this a bit more. Williams have never been known for "driver friendliness" and look at the way they're currently treating JB. Is that any worse than the way RB, or Irvine before him, are treated by Ferrari?

As to the strategy being good or bad. The jury is out for me because other factors have caused Ferrari to lose the title in previous years. Not least the poor quality of the car. This year, if they lose, it will be the change in driving methods (I won't use standards) which have caught out the leading driver. All things being equal, if they'd given the drivers completely equal treatment, they wouldn't have a championship leader at present. You could argue that DC's lost six points are the reason why Mickey-the -Shoe is in the lead today.
Old 8 Aug 2000, 21:53 (Ref:29212)   #27
Roy2
Racer

Roy2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually it was Mansell who crowded Prost over to the pit wall in Portugal '90. The two Ferraris had been on the front line, Mansell on the pole. This move dropped both the Ferraris behind the Mclarens, and hurt Prost's title chances.
Ironically, when Senna crowded Prost into the pit wall at Estoril in '88 Prost couldn't back off. His left front wheel was between Senna's rights, and he had to keep his foot in it to keep from launching him, or so Prost said afterwards.
Old 8 Aug 2000, 23:35 (Ref:29230)   #28
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

From Autosport:

Quote:
Ferrari boss Luca di Montezemolo has insisted that Rubens Barrichello will not have the chance to challenge for the 2000 Formula 1 World Championship, despite the fact that the Brazilian is now only ten points behind team leader Michael Schumacher. His comments seemingly go against earlier suggestion that Barrichello would be allowed to race Schumacher if he was fast enough.

Oh dear...

Old 9 Aug 2000, 00:10 (Ref:29232)   #29
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So curious what Luca will say when TGF runs into bad luck again and again and Rubinho is 10 points ahead with 2 races to go ... just wondering ofcourse ... he'd still have to come in all those races for a pitstop or two ... or three ... maybe even four.
Old 9 Aug 2000, 06:42 (Ref:29249)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Roy2
Actually it was Mansell who crowded Prost over to the pit wall in Portugal '90. The two Ferraris had been on the front line, Mansell on the pole. This move dropped both the Ferraris behind the Mclarens, and hurt Prost's title chances.
Ironically, when Senna crowded Prost into the pit wall at Estoril in '88 Prost couldn't back off. His left front wheel was between Senna's rights, and he had to keep his foot in it to keep from launching him, or so Prost said afterwards.
Thanks for that.
Old 9 Aug 2000, 09:57 (Ref:29273)   #31
Sparky
Veteran

From F1 News:

Quote:
Ferrari President Luca di Montezemelo has once again confirmed that the whole Ferrari championship quest is down to one man and one man alone - Michael Schumacher.

"Anyone who thinks Schumacher and Barrichello will battle amongst themselves is watching the wrong film," said di Montezemolo. "As long as I am in charge at Ferrari, the drivers will never be in competition with each other. Barrichello hasn't suddenly become a phenomenon, he is doing what we expected of him. He is here to serve Ferrari, like Schumacher did last year in Malaysia when we asked him to."

It was generally accepted that Eddie Irvine was the number two driver at Ferrari alongside Schumacher, but Ferrari have never really been in the position of having two drivers in contention for the championship. Barrichello lies just ten points shy of his team-leader in the championship and it is a surprise to see Ferrari putting all their resources behind Schumacher at this relatively early stage of the championship battle.

Meanwhile, Schumacher has described Barrichello as "the best and quickest team-mate I have had driven with."

Sadly Rubens will no longer be able to try and win races if Schumacher is running. A sad state of affairs at Ferrari.
Oh dear, Oh dear...

Old 9 Aug 2000, 10:11 (Ref:29275)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Why "Oh dear" Sparkster?

This really isn't new is it? Even RB has said the same thing (which is different to his original "I'm going to fight for the WDC this year" statements). Personally, it comes down to the original reasons for employing Mickey-the Shoe. Ferrari have spent so much money and failed (for many reasons-not least poor engineering) that they daren't change their tack now.

Also, I'm afraid I don't share the belief in RB's capabilities that some folks have. He's done well to achieve his first win but let's face it (the "Hockenhiem rain dance" brought back memories of Donington '93) the majority of his performances this year have been somewhat lacklustre.

Irvine was much more aggressive in the Ferrari and I think MS is paying lip service to the fans with his "best team mate" statements.

(Controversial enough?)
Old 11 Aug 2000, 11:09 (Ref:29754)   #33
Sparky
Veteran

This is why Pete:

From F1 News:
Quote:
Speaking today on the eve of the Hungarian Grand Prix weekend, Barrichello firmly denied that he is not a championship contender.

"I don't know what [Montezemolo] said to the press," Barrichello said. "The important thing is what he told me, which was quite different. You know, it's quite a vote of confidence in me for the team to have brought a second T-car here for me. Why would the team do that if I was only here to be playing for the other [driver]? Basically, what he has said is that he definitely wants Ferrari to win, and it does not matter who does it. Whatever we may have read in the press, that's not what he told me."
What Ferrari are telling the world, and what is plain for all to see, is that they are running a team for MS, but haven't told RB the truth.

Old 11 Aug 2000, 12:00 (Ref:29760)   #34
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ah but if you want the truth you don't go to Ferrari do you?

That's exactly what I mean. RB thinks he's hearing a different story to what we (who can sit back from it) are seeing.
Old 11 Aug 2000, 12:06 (Ref:29763)   #35
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly...playing mind games with Rubinho. Letting TGF know, both privately and through the press that he is their World Champion elect and RB his assistant, then telling RB in private "oh no,no, no - don't listen to the rubbish in the press, you have completely equal status within the team(suppresses laughter)....". I have a feeling though that RB is not as naive as to be completely blind to the situation and is simply playing the game.....I hope. He'll probably test the water at some point by NOT giving up position to MS and see how the team reacts, probably in a position where he can argue that he believed he could take more points off Mclaren, hopefully the opportunity will arise soon. I may be wrong, and he may honestly believe that Machiavelli does not live on in the Ferrari camp....
Old 11 Aug 2000, 12:25 (Ref:29769)   #36
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
.....Of course there is another possible slant on this. It's a return to the good old days of Ferrari messing with the minds of both their drivers, leaving both of them with some doubt as to where they stand within the team. Or, maybe they have realised that there is alot of bad feeling/bad publicity about MS, and it would be more appropriate/popular if RB was a winner.