Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Apr 2009, 18:09 (Ref:2443192)   #1
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber v Button

Hi chaps,

I'm a member of another forum, I won't name any names, but it's renowned for having a great many Mark Webber fans on it. I made a claim today that I thought that Jenson Button is a better driver than Webber, and I just wondered what you lot thought?

Their argument is is that Webber has really strong one-lap pace, has got 'bad cars into winning positions' and has made 'less-race ending mistakes' than Jense.

I'm not a massive Button fan and I don't dislike Mark Webber either. I was just wondering whether I was crazy, or whether the majority of people on other forums would agree with me, or them.

Your thoughts, please
Old 17 Apr 2009, 18:13 (Ref:2443194)   #2
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
MW imo is a good driver who knows how to drag cars further up the field than they should.

Button imo is a driver who needs a good car to drive well, but in his own way is a good driver (his smooth style, compared to alonso's harshness).

The only way to see who the best is is by putting them both in the same car!
Old 17 Apr 2009, 18:13 (Ref:2443195)   #3
chavez169
Rookie

chavez169 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats a tough a one! Webber is my favourite f1 driver probably followed by Button but i would have to say Button is probably a slightly more attractive prospect due to his sunday performances. I still maintain that no-one is faster than Webber over one lap but im not sure how much support i would have on that one.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 18:27 (Ref:2443204)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles View Post
has got 'bad cars into winning positions'
Winning positions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles View Post
and has made 'less-race ending mistakes' than Jense.
Driving round the outside of a crippled Renault whilst in a possible winning position for Williams was of course a great decision.

Nope, Mark is a great driver but he's going to win about one more GP than me at the most.

Jense on the other hand is about to win a lot more.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 18:32 (Ref:2443209)   #5
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I sit firmly on the fense on this one? In my head they sit about the same - both deserve really to have got a chance much earlier to really show their stuff. Jenson is finally getting his - and maybe the season will see Mark get his too. I do edge towards thinking Button is the better overall - but I wouldn't stake much on it.

Webber v Button could well be less one of those 'what if' questions and more a key battle this year.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 18:32 (Ref:2443211)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wonder what this thread is about... oh.... :
Old 17 Apr 2009, 18:35 (Ref:2443215)   #7
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I'd put them on the same level, though they have different strengths.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 18:39 (Ref:2443220)   #8
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I won't agree with you there chavez.
I do think both are really good drivers, and work well in every team and partnership they've been in. They are both relatively humble, extremely confident, approachable, and good humoured.

I don't think Button has to prove anything anymore, but Webber still does.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 18:43 (Ref:2443224)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mark does have an interest in a really great pub that I use occasionally (it's in the next village).

Jense on the other hand doesn't.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 19:14 (Ref:2443240)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Unless they will be fighting for the championship this season (who knows ?) I can't se no reason for comparing the two.

Ok, some people like to do it... blondes or brunettes ?
Old 17 Apr 2009, 19:23 (Ref:2443246)   #11
chavez169
Rookie

chavez169 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good to see another Dream Theater fan Bononi. I had heard legends that i was not the only one.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 19:40 (Ref:2443257)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez169 View Post
good to see another Dream Theater fan Bononi. I had heard legends that i was not the only one.
Well, live another day
Old 17 Apr 2009, 20:53 (Ref:2443306)   #13
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I'd put them on the same level, though they have different strengths.
That's a pretty good assessment, I reckon.

What we're seeing now is Jenson with all the stars in alignment and it's very impressive and beautiful to watch. But last season especially, they were not and I was disappointed that he seemed to give up.

I don't think Mark knows how to give up. He has the heart of a lion. I just hope that one day all the luck will fall his way.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 22:56 (Ref:2443396)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mark has made less race ending mistakes than Jenson? I'm fairly sure that is hopelessly wrong.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 23:04 (Ref:2443405)   #15
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Mark has made less race ending mistakes than Jenson? I'm fairly sure that is hopelessly wrong.
Exactly what I was thinking. I'm actually finding it quite hard to think of Button even spinning during a race, yet I can think of Mark ending races prematurely a heck of a lot of times...
Old 17 Apr 2009, 23:13 (Ref:2443413)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I'd have to agree with you there Knowlesy.

And Mark did make a fairly big one on a bicycle not too long ago.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 23:14 (Ref:2443415)   #17
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Unless they will be fighting for the championship this season (who knows ?) I can't se no reason for comparing the two.

Ok, some people like to do it... blondes or brunettes ?
Both...
Old 17 Apr 2009, 23:51 (Ref:2443433)   #18
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep Jenson is much more consistant than Webber, Jenson's drives in races 1/2 have been precise and without and any mistakes - very strong and consistant.

I don't know if Jenson is significantly faster, but that is quite plausible too.

Jenson is clearly the best driver in F1 at the moment, just look at his results, always on the limit pace with no mistakes, much much stronger showing than the likes of Alonso and Hamilton.
Old 18 Apr 2009, 01:06 (Ref:2443459)   #19
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Just wait for the Aussies to get in here, then you'll see the **** REALLY hit the fan!
Old 18 Apr 2009, 01:23 (Ref:2443467)   #20
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Jenson is clearly the best driver in F1 at the moment, just look at his results, always on the limit pace with no mistakes, much much stronger showing than the likes of Alonso and Hamilton.
That's a pretty big statement. I suspect you just may be joking and making the point that the car is so important. It's easy to make les mistakes at the limit when you're in a non-recalcitrant car. As stated before by others, Button is very solid with a very good car, but less impressive with a dodgy one.
Old 18 Apr 2009, 01:31 (Ref:2443472)   #21
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mark is quick over a single lap so is Jenson. Jenson is better over a race distance and much more consistent.
Old 18 Apr 2009, 03:12 (Ref:2443501)   #22
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Yep Jenson is much more consistant than

I rate them very similar. I think Webber is the better driver for the team, highly motivated and a hard worker. I think Button might be a bit more consistant on Sundays but not quite as committed Mon thru Sat.

I wish Button had not of got out of his Williams contract, as Webber vs Button in 2005 would have been even more interesting then Webber vs Vettel this year.

Then again, if Webber had of shown the sort of loyalty to Williams as Button did to Honda then this year Webber may be in a GP winning car as well
Old 18 Apr 2009, 03:17 (Ref:2443504)   #23
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Just wait for the Aussies to get in here, then you'll see the **** REALLY hit the fan!
The Aussies are already here, and remarkably, their opinions are reasonable.

Old 18 Apr 2009, 03:55 (Ref:2443512)   #24
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
NASCAR is a boring, pointless sport where drivers can't even turn right.

The only Australian who might actually go out on a limb and say that Webber is the greatest of all time is Greg Rust. He heads the Channel 10 F1 telecast and apparently knows something we don't. Mark Webber's first name is apparently "Australia's"!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 18 Apr 2009, 09:57 (Ref:2443607)   #25
Racer 35
Racer

England
South Derbyshire
Racer 35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hard to know how to compare them to be honest; you can only truly compare drivers in the same cars. So, that makes Vettel better than Webber, and Button (just) better than Barrichello. So, Webber's not even the best driver in his team, whereas Button, at least ticks that box.