Old 7 Aug 2004, 23:08 (Ref:1059724)   #1
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
doom 3

well i got it
sale too- 15% off so thats good
40 clams instead of the reported 50 something
well it is very moody and scary, so dark, deep sahdows and demons abound- the enemies are way faster and smarter than the first round of doom, adn the level of "realism" is certainly there. i have a limited running time on it, after 2 hours it crashes... or rather freezes- more than one gig of ram is needed here.
so it sets a good mood, and the action begins to build soon enough- it seem like th eguns are really wimpy and the demons (the exmarine zombies are very good shots) who hurl the fire balls could'ndt hit a barn door, but they hide well.
it is neat to see a demon from one side of a glass partition see you! adm run up to you and climb out of site... just where did he go? well when you walk in the room sure enough its hiding.
and claw marks slash up the screen, and everytime you get hit, it is like nausea city as the camera jerks and hurls about, and red flashes on the screen making multiple enemy gun battles quite difficult.
just shoot everything!? nope some people you nbeed to talk to, and everyclue helps.
not near done yet, on the econd chapter of sorts, amazing textures and setting and character details, so ccoool
but it is missing something so far- speed? more light and more monsters and better guns? time will reveal this, it has become a horror FPS like "System Shock" very good by the way, but in way cramped and clausterphobic setting and enviros
cool good
but an average effort considereing w few things they missed, you can tell if you play Halo, halflife Counterstrike, DeusEx this Doom is some how off the mark, somewhere perhaps in playability, like a flashlight which can not be used when another weapon is being used, what TF?
solid title, but some wierd i am not really in the game issues- it isn't just a wild shoot everything game like it used to be, but then has technology caught up faster to reality than i can change what my needs for are in a game?
8 out of 10
Old 8 Aug 2004, 03:45 (Ref:1059808)   #2
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure it can't compare to Wolfenstein 3D. Those were the days...
Old 8 Aug 2004, 06:44 (Ref:1059856)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's the point isn't it - those were the days. I was a Doom addict for about a fortnight. Haven't played it since or had the inclination to.......
Old 8 Aug 2004, 23:09 (Ref:1060549)   #4
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually just played the original DOOM shareware (with the jdoom engine updates to allow it to run in windows) on my system, and I can see where it could get it's atmosphere from.

To be honest, I can't wait for the game to arrive, play.com are offering it for (i think) ~£26 delivered, so can't go wrong really!

BTW I think the flashlight thing is there to add to the suspense... yes you would have though a highly traind marine would have conjured up some strapping system, but hey it's id using a bit of poetic license...

Bring on the imps...

Last edited by Try Hard; 8 Aug 2004 at 23:11.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 11:09 (Ref:1060895)   #5
gttouring
Veteran

the imps and devils and shadow siystem is scary as all get out- graphics certainly get a 10 of 10
funny whrn you see your old favorite monsters updated and "realistic" it is a bit nostalgia and charm and JEEPERS! GET ME OUTTA HERE-CAN'T RUN FAST ENOUGH-AHHHH STUPID CRATE-STUPID MARINE ZOMBIE STOP SHOOTING AHHH-OK CONTINUE
the sounds are very very good- although ambient sounds are a bit better than the monster yowls and howls, the marine mumblings of the zombies is like the old days and much better now... hint they can't seee under stairs
the only hiding place...
Old 9 Aug 2004, 23:48 (Ref:1061603)   #6
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
just found this if you want ot sort the flashlight thing out...

http://ducttape.glenmurphy.com/

Hope it helps
Ed
Old 10 Aug 2004, 07:12 (Ref:1061811)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Will it help me run a lap of Sachsenring without crashing?
Old 10 Aug 2004, 07:28 (Ref:1061827)   #8
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
very much doubt it, probably will allow you to run round in circles faster...
Old 10 Aug 2004, 12:35 (Ref:1062091)   #9
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got it too. I'm finding it quite reminiscent of Half Life with a bit or RTCWolfenstein thrown in for good measure not to mension some "old friends" popping in for a visit ie zombies, imps and ogres so far. What graphics level are you playing at GTT? I'm on 800x600 with medium detail and it's pretty smooth on an Athlon 2400 with 512mb ram + Nvidia Geforce 4200ti 64mb.
Good atmospheric's (sound & lighting or lack thereof) and like the original in it's day, genuinely unnerving.
Lot's of action too but then I am playing it on Veteran (I'm 'ard me!). Favourite bit so far has to be playing Irish knock down (no weapons, fists only) in a virtually pitch black room with 4 unarmed zombies. You can club them with your torch as well by the way.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 22:20 (Ref:1062607)   #10
gttouring
Veteran

the ducttape mod is very clever- but i don't want to ruin the mood or the way the game is supposed to be tense- after all you are playing the newbie marine...
i am playing 800X600 but high detail (3.4 P4 and radeon 9600+ 768ram,(no 1 gig CTD problems with Paint programs or GPL) smooth smooth and scary
the game stutters when you load though- the fiirst few time you encounter a sound or an animation that willbe repeated- like doors and flashlight . but it will play smooth after that for hours.
i just got the BFG 9000 and fried a couple of hellknights
it really picks up pace and franticness as the game introduces the new "beholders" and those skeletons with missles on them, nice shriek noises.
my previos review was a bit short sighted maybe 8.5 or 9 out of ten as the game gets rolling, but i fear it may be over soon...
the multiplayer frag deathmatch is too chaotic and pointless- a co-op or a demon spawning in the death matches would make it kind of more fun, or search for an access key and escape type thing....
Old 12 Aug 2004, 10:40 (Ref:1063758)   #11
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll keep the ducttape mod in reserve for now too, I'm having too much fun being scared witless! I've just finished Alphalabs sector 4, I haven't tried the multiplayer yet. The first time you come across the spider's is a tad unnerving. The skellywag's were a favourite in Doom2 (especially if you found a berserk pack and could go toe to toe with them!), so I'm looking forward to meeting them again. I'd love to ask how you dealt with a couple of situation's GTT but it would potentially spoil it for other's so I'll behave.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 12:45 (Ref:1063857)   #12
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I havent played the originals in such a long time i cant actually remember what the creatures should all look like! It doesnt seem too dark for me so i might leave the duct tape mod for now as well. Havent had a chance to play it yet, so i'm not exactly far.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 16:45 (Ref:1064081)   #13
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah, lovely. I thought people here only taked about racing games. It's nice to know there are some FPS fans as well. Been playing Doom 3 for most part of this week and I'm close to the end. I'm already at the final level but, as in other levels, I've had to stop because I get too tense. The atmosphere (particularly at the end as it gets harder) is intense.

I have been a fan of the series ever since the original one came out. I even bought a CD that included about 1000 extra levels and I think I pretty much played the all. Also, the biggest gaming achievement of my life (and I've been a gamer ever since the Atari 2600 days) has been to finish Doom 2 in ultra violence with 100% secrets and 100% deaths without cheating. And I must say that the followups such as quake, despite very good graphics, could not compare to the orioginal Doom. Even fantastic games such as Far Cry and Unreal lacked the atmosphere and involvement that Doom had. But, at lasty!! after years of waiting and despite all the speculation about the realease date being pushed back months, even years, it's finally here. I, as a hard-core Doom fan, have to say that I'm more than pleased.

Also, I was a bit afraid that my system would be punished, especially the video card but it runs smoothly. BTW, I have an ATI radeon 8500 64MB, Athlon XP 2400+ processor and 512MB ram.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 17:24 (Ref:1064122)   #14
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Runs smoothly on your specs?
Cool, guess i'm gonna pay another visit to my local gameshop soon for this!
Old 12 Aug 2004, 18:09 (Ref:1064165)   #15
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I run it at 800*600 in low detail and it runs smoothly in low detail but you don't really notice much difference with high quality during gameplay.

For a full doom 3 specs review and analysis go to http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0LDI=

Last edited by Sharky; 12 Aug 2004 at 18:11.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 18:58 (Ref:1069640)   #16
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple of months ago I picked up Doom2 again with modifications like better 3d, new maps, deathmatch bots etc and it was awesome... unfortunately I started getting motion sickness every time I played after about three weeks and I don't feel like loading it up again
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 17 Aug 2004, 23:02 (Ref:1069910)   #17
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
well, I've just been playing it. And I'm stunned. It's just an amazing experience.

I'm playing through on Marine level, I found Veteran way too hard to start, so once I finish it, I'll be starting again on veteran....

However, this game might force me to go towards the Cat 4.8/4.9 drivers, at the expense of F1 C performance...
Old 17 Aug 2004, 23:31 (Ref:1069936)   #18
Sharky
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Try Hard
well, I've just been playing it. And I'm stunned. It's just an amazing experience.

I'm playing through on Marine level, I found Veteran way too hard to start, so once I finish it, I'll be starting again on veteran....

However, this game might force me to go towards the Cat 4.8/4.9 drivers, at the expense of F1 C performance...
I've heard that the Cat 4.9 drivers give a huge performance increase in Doom 3 for ATI cards. I don't see why that would dent you performance in other games though.

You might want to visit this site: http://www.tweakguides.com Read both the ATI and Doom 3 guides.
Old 18 Aug 2004, 08:55 (Ref:1070253)   #19
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm partial to a little bit of FPS myself. I've seen an mpeg video of some of the game footage and it looks like a 'switch the lights off while playing' creepy sort of game.

I'm more of a Half-Life modder. My current fave is Natural Selection. Anyone who likes FPS I would severely recommend checking it out.

Sorry, went a bit OT.

Old 18 Aug 2004, 09:02 (Ref:1070260)   #20
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
No prob spud, I have played Natural selection, and agree it is pretty impressive.
And yes DOOM3 is a turn the lights off style game....

Problem with the cat drivers is that there is a pretty big FPS hit in F1 challange using anything above 4.6. as far as I know 4.7 and 4.8 cause the fps to drop pretty bad using the same settings, guess as its an "older" game, it's not worth sorting...

Last edited by Try Hard; 18 Aug 2004 at 09:04.
Old 18 Aug 2004, 13:18 (Ref:1070466)   #21
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aaah, I almost forgot about doom 3!

Well it will never run om my computer anyways (or do you think...at 714 mhz max...)

Well I just mailed my brother to get it, he's got a decent system plus I'll be over at his place for the weekend.

I was a huge fan of the old doom, never finished it on ultra-violence (too nervous...) but I certainly tried. I've spent many hot summer days inside with the curtains closed. If Doom 3 comes close in terms of atmosphere...it seems so from your comments...I can't wait anymore. Maybe I can sell my kidneys or something so that I can buy a new computer.