Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Jul 2003, 23:45 (Ref:675870)   #1
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wakefield Joins Morris For Sandown & Bathurst V8 Supercar Endurance Races

THURSDAY, JULY 31: Hard-charging Wayne Wakefield will join fellow-Queenslander Paul Morris in the Sirromet Wines Holden Commodore for this year's V8 Supercar Championship endurance races, the Sandown 500 and the Bathurst 1000.

Wakefield also drove with Morris in the 2002 endurance events, and the previous year (2001) was team-mate to championship frontrunner Marcos Ambrose in a Stone Brothers Racing Ford Falcon at Bathurst.

Morris, fresh from a season-best fourth in this month’s championship round at Queensland Raceway, announced his team’s endurance combination today and believes he and Wakefield will be competitive in the races at Sandown in Melbourne on September 14 and at Bathurst on October 12.

The pair will compete in the new VY Commodore, fitted with a Holden Motorsport engine, which Morris raced for the first time at Queensland Raceway.

“We’ve got a new car that’s already quick and will be even better with more development before Sandown and Bathurst, plus Wayne is a team-mate with the speed and experience you need,” said Morris.

“Wayne has raced for us before, and continuity is important because he knows how our team works and he fits in well with everyone. He’s also had some racing and ‘test miles’ in V8 Supercars this year so overall I think we’re looking pretty good for the enduro events.”

Wakefield’s V8 Supercar experience this year includes racing a Romano Racing Holden Commodore in the championship round at Winton in Victoria on May 25, and two days of test driving at Queensland Raceway.

The 32-year-old from Brisbane said he was keen to atone for the disappointments of his 2002 Bathurst campaign with Morris. They went out of the race on lap 136 when in seventh position after a problem with the left-front wheel sent Morris crashing into a wall at the end of Mountain Straight.

“We ran in the top 10 most of the race at Bathurst last year until the crash, but this time we’re going back with what is obviously a very good car that’s capable of doing the business,” said Wakefield.

“Even though I’m not driving fulltime in the championship I’ve had enough track-time to get myself back up to speed by the time Sandown and Bathurst roll around. Paul runs a great team so this is a fantastic opportunity for me.”

Wakefield has raced at Sandown once before, in 1999, in addition to his four Bathurst 1000 starts.

“Sandown is a grunt circuit with two long straights and two big stops at the end of both of them,” he said. “Paul’s new car seems to have more power than before so hopefully we will be in good shape there, and at Bathurst.”

In addition to competing in the Bathurst 1000, Wakefield’s results on the 6.2km Mount Panorama circuit include winning the 30-lap Konica lead-up event in 2001, and finishing runner-up in the same race the following year.

Morris has made 10 starts in the Bathurst 1000, with a best outright result of third in 1999 in a Holden Racing Team Commodore with Mark Skaife. He was also a class winner in his Mount Panorama debut in 1991 in a Toyota Corolla with Geoff Full. His best result in the Sandown 500 to date was finishing runner-up in 1992 with Tony Longhurst in a BMW M3.

“I like all kinds of racing, but there’s something special about these endurance events, especially at Bathurst with all the tradition and uncertainty as things unfold on the day” said Morris.

“I’ve been on the podium at Bathurst before and it’s a great feeling being up there. This year I think we’ve got the manpower and the firepower to do it again if the cards fall our way.”

WAYNE WAKEFIELD – FAST FACTS

DATE/PLACE OF BIRTH: 13.9.70, Brisbane, Queensland
LIVES AT: Brisbane, Queensland
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 175cm/80kg
RACING DEBUT: 1993, Queensland Gemini Championship
SANDOWN 500 STARTS: 1 (1999)
BATHURST V8 1000 STARTS: 4 (1999-2002)
Old 30 Jul 2003, 23:48 (Ref:675873)   #2
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What Chance another "Electrical Problem"?????
Old 30 Jul 2003, 23:50 (Ref:675874)   #3
RaceTime
Veteran

Think the bet should be more on when it happens, rather than if...
Old 31 Jul 2003, 02:53 (Ref:675920)   #4
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And it will be fixed in record time if there is.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 02:57 (Ref:675923)   #5
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not exactly ground shaking revelation is it? I for one am glad however, that he is getting another chance, should do well.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 03:10 (Ref:675926)   #6
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope WW goes well. Top marks for Paul Morris for giving him the ride.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 09:15 (Ref:676092)   #7
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to see WW get a chance, you never know the Morris/Wakefield car may be a sleeper r the enduro's.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 09:25 (Ref:676095)   #8
RaceTime
Veteran

A sleeper?

I guess so if the starter motor fails.......again!
Old 31 Jul 2003, 10:01 (Ref:676115)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Morris actually smashed the car last year when the wheel fell off..... was going great guns inside the top ten up till then
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 31 Jul 2003, 21:45 (Ref:676685)   #10
team drinkalot
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
team drinkalot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many chances are they going to give WW. Paul should start building a new car now.
WW has proven he cannot cut it in the big league. He is just a panel beaters dream come true.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 00:11 (Ref:676758)   #11
RRR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, VIC
RRR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't agree team drinktoomuch. He has bent cars in the past, true, but who hasn't ...
Old 1 Aug 2003, 07:42 (Ref:676878)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
David Thexton.... hasnt bent his race car when its his own fault Go Murf!
Old 1 Aug 2003, 07:46 (Ref:676880)   #13
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
WW has done 4 Bathurst 1000s and in every one the car has crashed out while the other driver was at the wheel, a bit unfair to blame Wayne isn't it?
Old 1 Aug 2003, 07:50 (Ref:676881)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Not quite David, WW was at the wheel when the Chiko Racer hit the fence... not his fault, that awful Daily Planet Falcon did a Liberace on the car
Old 1 Aug 2003, 10:30 (Ref:677012)   #15
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
David,

Obviously the Wollongong Wiz's vibes got caught by the main driver.

That's right WW!
Old 1 Aug 2003, 11:00 (Ref:677033)   #16
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GTR- I think it was Tratty in the Toll machine that carved up WW under a safety car...
Old 1 Aug 2003, 11:21 (Ref:677050)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Having checked the Great Race book, you are indeed correct Crash, I must apologise for my error
Old 1 Aug 2003, 11:26 (Ref:677054)   #18
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Meh. For some reason I remember that one well.

The only time WW has smashed a car at Bathurst was in 1998 in the Carina, when he hit the same oil slick as Ingall and Harvey, so he was in pretty good company there. Plus, the effort he put in to that stage was fairly awesome...
Old 3 Aug 2003, 22:52 (Ref:679049)   #19
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Winton this year was the first time in a long time that WW had finished a race meeting that I can remember. Yes its good to see him get the gig, but he has a "UNIQUE" driving style that may prevent him from moving up more permanantly unless he adjusts it a little.
Old 3 Aug 2003, 23:57 (Ref:679098)   #20
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I think the way WW drives a V8 is pretty much on the money. I remember the last time he had a decent flog in a Konica car at Lakeside in 2000 he was much smoother and in control than most of the other punters out there. He drives the stuffing out of the shaggin wagon because he can, and that's the fastest way to drive the thing. Plus if it gets scraped down a wall, it's off to Wally's Car Mart for anotherr $500 shell...
Old 4 Aug 2003, 00:35 (Ref:679126)   #21
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
$500 shell...
HMMMMM. Me thinks you should price a caged shell from Phil Laird, the original purchase price of the car pales into insignifigance when you take the hours into account for preparation, strengthening and painting of the thing!
Old 4 Aug 2003, 02:34 (Ref:679183)   #22
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, fair enough
Old 5 Aug 2003, 00:57 (Ref:680077)   #23
team drinkalot
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
team drinkalot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sorry if I have upset anybody. But I feel after racing with the guy, his total arrogance whilst driving the wagon, to think he is God and everybody should bow to him and give him right of way is unnecessary. Sure he can steer good and has more talent than any other Club Racer I have seen, but there is no need for his total lack of respect for his fellow Club Racers who pay for their own damage.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 01:02 (Ref:680078)   #24
RaceTime
Veteran

Funny you say it like that - I was wondering if this was one of the reasons he hadn't managed to snare a decent drive yet...
Old 5 Aug 2003, 01:47 (Ref:680094)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I thought it was his ability to uncover no end of electrical faults in his steeds, often missing races because of a lack of spares of key components