Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 6 Jul 2001, 09:51 (Ref:113667)   #1
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Riding Styles - Biaggi and Rossi

I've always like the bikes because you can see how different racers approach the riding of a motocycle. Some are aggressive, some super smooth like one of my fav. racers Eddie Lawson (WOW just amazing).

But style is also visable in their individual tactics ie. run away win or wait till the last lap.

So what do you think about the stylistic strenghts and weaknesses of the latest racers?

Here is my view!
MAX-- max is obviously talented rider, he rides within himself but i'm a bit uncertain as to his tactics of late.

This is Max's style -
1. start try be at the front
2. wait till half race and see how you feel, see if no one can go or make a break.
3. At half or three quarters race distance if nobody goes, push maximum, try to break, if you feel good!

Compared to Rossi who:
1. try start be at front (but stuff that up and spend first 3 laps getting back to front group).
2. push hard
3. if someone is with you, slow down and play with them (a la Abe at GPspain2001)
4. with 4-5 laps to go push hard
5. fastest lap last lap!

I have to say that Biaggi in the netherlands rode a different race, nobody was saying after Assen, like at other times this year, "Oh Val would have won" becuase I don't think he would've. But those who follow this stuff I think will agree (within reason) that this (my descriptions) is what Val and Max do.

But returning to this style tactics stuff, it seem that Biaggi, by covering the bases as far as tyre life (and concentration) are concerned, is shooting himself in the foot.

It's like his waiting to inherent the race, if others are unable too!
Whats with that??

Lets hope he continues to push from the front (like Assen), its gonna make for some great racing. I really want Max to change and say "catch me if you can Val!" it would break rossi's style and get him to do something new. Who knows what will happen?

Anyway, the question is "who has a good style?"
and "what do you think it is?"
Old 7 Jul 2001, 12:53 (Ref:114094)   #2
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You're not too far off in general terms of their race tactics. The only thing is that Mick Doohan has been teaching some patience into Rossi so he doesn't go too quick too soon.

But other than that, personally, I think Capirossi would have won at Assen.
Old 8 Jul 2001, 01:35 (Ref:114270)   #3
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah I think that Doohan really was a class act, about the only thing he ever did wrong in his career was touch that white line.

Capirossi definately seemed the most depressed out of all the riders that the race was stopped. That's not something that you can really fake! He didn't look like he was trying that hard in the race and said he was "just waiting till the last". Just bad luck i guess

It's also a pitty the Van Gorburg didn't get it together any better then he did! Some unexpected mechanical problem stopped him from running times that bike was capiable of.
I would love to see him on a "real" bike (no offence Kenny Snr.) Because all that experience on the MUZ, a V-twin and the Modus would have to put him in the best position to get the most out of any bike.
I remember him saying al while back "Why try be the best V-Twin privater again?, we've been that for years, lets move on"

One rider that makes me scrach my head is Alex Barros!!?
He is third on the grid right now (Donnington) he manages to win maybe one race a year, just about ever year (two last year), and that's about it! I can't remember the last time he was a world championship contenter (I can't remember him giving Doohan any grief)
It makes you wonder, if you win a race that means you have paid for another session, well I don't agree! He must have a lot of money behind him to keep going. I think others don't have it so good
Old 8 Jul 2001, 11:29 (Ref:114342)   #4
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Barros is an interesting one, last year he started off well and was running up the front and seemed to be a championship contender...and then suddenly he went back to normal. This year it's been a race by race thing, but I think it is the bike more than him as Capirossi seems to go up and down in unison.
Old 9 Jul 2001, 23:09 (Ref:115006)   #5
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After watching Donnington max and the rest of the riders must be wondering what is Valentino's secret. To see another rider who has the same ability as Doohan is incredible and awe inspiring to say the least. Mick often seemed to take it easy at the start them move thru the field to the front and valentino also has this amazing ability. The bikes themselves seem very close this year but Valentinos ability to pass the field on his way to the front is in my opinion what makes him the class of the field.To satrt in 11th, fall back to 13th, then fight his way to the front was fantastic and many had written off his chance of a win after such a bad qualifying session. The icing on the cake for me was the 1 footed wheelie over the finish line.

Valentino, you are the man!!!!
Old 10 Jul 2001, 10:51 (Ref:115177)   #6
elephino
Veteran

A very good ride from Rossi, but it really isn't as great as people think. The lap he crashed on Friday would have been good enough for the front row, if Saturday was dry he would have qualified a lot higher as well. I'm taking anything away from what he did as he not only got to the front but he rode away, but 11th on a bike grid isn't as bad as 11th on a car grid.
Old 10 Jul 2001, 11:00 (Ref:115183)   #7
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So how many other guys have you seen do that this year Elephino?
Old 10 Jul 2001, 15:46 (Ref:115277)   #8
Ralf

Ich will ficken

The content of this post has been deleted.

Old 10 Jul 2001, 15:57 (Ref:115281)   #9
Ralf

Re: Riding Styles - Biaggi and Rossi

The content of this post has been deleted
Moffat

Old 11 Jul 2001, 11:05 (Ref:115581)   #10
elephino
Veteran

Well Casey Stoner went from 18th to 8th in the 125s.