Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Sep 2008, 04:39 (Ref:2286217)   #76
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the information board displayed at MCM:
"The machine was sold to Tasmanian business man Don Elliot & prepared by Alec Kerr. It was driven success by Robin Pare over a 3 year period. It held lap records at both Baskerville & Symmons Plains raceways. With the ex Neil Allan ME5 Elfin, the Camaro was sold to Peter McKinley who campaigned it sparingly between 1973-74. The new owner was Peter Sportelli who ran the car for a couple of seasons before retiring the car due to it being uncompetitive with the new Sport Sedan regulations. "

It then goes on to say that the car was taken out of mothballs and restored over a three year period.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 06:04 (Ref:2286241)   #77
Steve Holmes
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Steve Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John, thanks for the info, much appreciated. I didn't realise this was the car Robin Pare drove. I felt sure the Pare Camaro was left hand drive for some reason. Thats really interesting. The car actually came to NZ with Thomson, and might have even come here with Pare, but I'd need to double check that. Its just great to see it alive again. Bet it sounded awesome!
Old 10 Sep 2008, 13:30 (Ref:2286484)   #78
thunder road
Racer

thunder road should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve, I can't tell you 'what' became of the Norm Beechey Camaro ,other than I tried to buy it out of a car yard on the Nepean hwy in Melbourne ,must have been 70/71, as I was driving a HK Holden 307/V8 which If I was honest, belonged to the finance company/Custom Credit at the time, the Salesman tried to swing the 'DEAL' over but I had not made enough payments at the time.what a thing !!Black, Nose over down the side stripes (Norm Used to tow it with a Hk/Hg panelvan painted the same, speed shop truck )and you all say B#%%$^&&^*T, well the guy that I was 'Moonlighting' after hours was the top gun Panel/aluminium guru,who did the flares on the Monaro, worked for Moffat making those 'Secret' front guards etc,the Hurst shifter had had the hot axe treatment to bend it over for RHD, beyond that It dissapeared,remind me to tell you how close I was to owning the 'Blue' ZL1.............cheers,.... Steve your right,great event they try hard,whats that saying;' Lack of planning on your behalf, doesnt necessitate an emergency on our part'.... a smiling face goes along way at an event like the 'Masters..we had a 'Ball' !!!..still trying to get the smile of Bob's face !!

Last edited by thunder road; 10 Sep 2008 at 13:38.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 14:06 (Ref:2286500)   #79
Group'C'
Racer

Australia
Hobart /Tasmania
Group'C' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Holmes
John, thanks for the info, much appreciated. I didn't realise this was the car Robin Pare drove. I felt sure the Pare Camaro was left hand drive for some reason. Thats really interesting. The car actually came to NZ with Thomson, and might have even come here with Pare, but I'd need to double check that. Its just great to see it alive again. Bet it sounded awesome!

Yes the car did go to NZ with Pare

"It then goes on to say that the car was taken out of mothballs and restored over a three year period"

What the information board failed to say was that the vehicle had been turned into a Sports sedan over the years, so it was no small restoration project !!

Peter had sold a lot of the running gear out of the car when it was laid to rest but mananged to purchase it all back, including the original wheels and motor. he had kept the body fully intact from the last time it race it just sat in his back yard under a tarp.

Peter went off and played Nascars as the chief for Ian Thomas and built a few race winning cars for the team.

With the revival of the Muscle car era Peter decided to drag the car back into the garage and restore it to its former glory.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 03:50 (Ref:2286878)   #80
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Myles it was good to see the car & Bob there and hear he enjoyed himself (the new power steer setup looks very neat!). I couldn't help laughing when he took off at the start of the Fantastic Five display, unfortunately I was in the wrong spot to get photos of the cars together.

Re the Thomson Camaro - the info board says the reason for retiring the car was due to its history and not wanting to cut it around - I suppose it would have gone some way down that track by then anyway. The list of thanks to many people involved in the work certainly gives the idea there was a lot of work involved.

I'd agree we won't see these cars being raced again (I know I wouldn't) but I'd like to see them being demonstrated a bit more vigorously!
Old 11 Sep 2008, 23:08 (Ref:2287608)   #81
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The last photo I saw of the ex-Bryan Thomson Camaro showed it in fairly radical looking Sports Sedan form. It may have only been cosmetic panel alterations though.

I don't remember Robin Pare ever racing the Camaro in New Zealand, but he drove the Mustang there. There's a photo of that car in New Zealand at the top of this page: http://www.nzmustang.com/History/Racecars/elliot.htm

Norm Beechey attempted to find his old Camaro, but without any luck.

I wouldn't hold much hope of the Terry Allan Camaro reappearing either, sadly.
Old 13 Sep 2008, 22:42 (Ref:2289320)   #82
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For Mr Towe, not taking by me

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigshot...54994/sizes/o/
Old 14 Sep 2008, 09:44 (Ref:2289567)   #83
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Group A.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 09:34 (Ref:2290690)   #84
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPA
Indeed, Mr A, it was taken by me!

Yeah, Mr Danielsun makes a return to Ten-Tenths for the first time in a million years, courtesy of some rather skewed stats on Flickr yesterday! Thought I'd come to check out what had caused it...

David, if you want to see more, I do have plenty - I always make sure I snap plenty of my favourite wheels. Drop us a note if you're keen...
Old 15 Sep 2008, 10:07 (Ref:2290722)   #85
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Hi Danielsun, Of course I'm interested in seeing more. The windscreen was so foggy I couldn't see much from inside the car so I'd better see what it was like from outside it.
Old 16 Sep 2008, 08:49 (Ref:2291577)   #86
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hear the Masters is going to be shown on the TV at some stage over the weekend although I did spy something on RPM last weekend I think this might be the official coverage of the event.
Old 16 Sep 2008, 10:05 (Ref:2291632)   #87
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Channel 7 at 3.00 pm Saturday, not 7HD. 1 hour highlights.
Old 17 Sep 2008, 01:41 (Ref:2292203)   #88
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Excellent, thanks for the notification
Old 19 Sep 2008, 03:01 (Ref:2293529)   #89
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the history of the Jaguar XJS raced by Anthony Pallas?
Old 19 Sep 2008, 15:19 (Ref:2293773)   #90
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Ex Willmington
Old 19 Sep 2008, 23:20 (Ref:2294012)   #91
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsun
Indeed, Mr A, it was taken by me!

Yeah, Mr Danielsun makes a return to Ten-Tenths for the first time in a million years, courtesy of some rather skewed stats on Flickr yesterday! Thought I'd come to check out what had caused it...

David, if you want to see more, I do have plenty - I always make sure I snap plenty of my favourite wheels. Drop us a note if you're keen...

Fantastic photo Danielsun, damn I love those JPS Bimmers & even better to see it being used David....
Old 20 Sep 2008, 00:51 (Ref:2294043)   #92
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe
Ex Willmington
Thankyou.