Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 Jul 2020, 20:00 (Ref:3987480)   #6826
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
- Guns, gun clubs and other weapons
oh the joy... so no chance seeing this in BTCC

Old 11 Jul 2020, 20:33 (Ref:3987486)   #6827
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
And yet, the withdrawals we've already seen had significant insurance company backing?
Do we know how significant the backing is though? As far as PMR are concerned, I get the impression alot of their budget relies on hospitality.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 20:35 (Ref:3987487)   #6828
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
nobody is FORCED to consume it !!! does anyone really start smoking cos they saw Malboro or Rothmans in F1 ???? that's really ludicros

if one of the smaller parties comes out with a message to abolish all this restrictions and bans I am sure they will et a lot of votes
YES they do.

Attractive packaging attracts people to product.

The "unbranded" packaging with grisly images of some of the nasty things smoking can do to you puts some people off.

Tobacco sales are massively down on 10 years ago. In a generation or two the dreadful weed may be gone.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 20:59 (Ref:3987491)   #6829
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Do we know how significant the backing is though? As far as PMR are concerned, I get the impression alot of their budget relies on hospitality.
Pretty much every commercial BTCC budget relies on hospitality. Generally only those who pay themselves, or get their Dad’s to pay, don’t.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 21:16 (Ref:3987495)   #6830
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Not sure how significant in terms of finance.

But - the bulk of livery on the PMR cars is given over to an insurance company, and they have withdrawn because of the inability to meet hospitality demands.

It might be 2+2=?, but I don't see insurance companies being a solution in current circumstances.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 22:13 (Ref:3987511)   #6831
RS67
Veteran

Quote:

It might be 2+2=?, but I don't see insurance companies being a solution in current circumstances.
Sure about that?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1307213/car-insurance-uk-shock-savings-premium-costs-claims-decline/amp&ved=0ahUKEwi8sdHMm8bqAhUHecAKHT98AGcQyM8BCDQwBQ&usg=AOvVaw2ZXYsMyYT72tqkMbXgI0lC&ampcf=1
Old 11 Jul 2020, 22:24 (Ref:3987514)   #6832
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Sure about that?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1307213/car-insurance-uk-shock-savings-premium-costs-claims-decline/amp&ved=0ahUKEwi8sdHMm8bqAhUHecAKHT98AGcQyM8BCDQwBQ&usg=AOvVaw2ZXYsMyYT72tqkMbXgI0lC&ampcf=1
Yes, still sure.

Why would insurance firms take a short term, temporary gain and gamble it on increasing marketing by sinking their money into a sport with an uncertain future profile?

Particularly when the insurance market is more complex than simple figures from a narrow cross section of the entire market.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 22:44 (Ref:3987517)   #6833
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, still sure.

Why would insurance firms take a short term, temporary gain and gamble it on increasing marketing by sinking their money into a sport with an uncertain future profile?

Particularly when the insurance market is more complex than simple figures from a narrow cross section of the entire market.
Probably because they are insurance companies and taking such gambles is what they do for a living.
RCIB still seem quite happy to be dishing out their sponsorship.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 23:10 (Ref:3987520)   #6834
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Two things:

a) https://urlclean.com Link to the actual website not the google hidden link
b) The Express website is an horrendous source for information
Old 12 Jul 2020, 00:36 (Ref:3987527)   #6835
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Two things:

a) https://urlclean.com Link to the actual website not the google hidden link
b) The Express website is an horrendous source for information
3. The Express was one of many media outlets reporting the same story.
4. It was the actual link, know idea why it didn't work.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 07:34 (Ref:3987564)   #6836
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Probably because they are insurance companies and taking such gambles is what they do for a living.
RCIB still seem quite happy to be dishing out their sponsorship.
The very last things insurance companies do is take gambles. It’s all about assessing and spreading risk, and re-insurance.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 07:39 (Ref:3987566)   #6837
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I seem to remember Rob Austin being sponsored by E Lites a few seasons. That's probably the closest we're going to get to tobacco sponsorship in the series
Old 12 Jul 2020, 08:59 (Ref:3987572)   #6838
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
who the heck cares? those sponsors used to throw alot of money in motorsport, which was good for the sport, the drivers and spectators

just cause some activists who don't care about the sport to start with moan is just ludicrus to bow to them, it's just stupid trying to appease those weirdos
Other sponsors care as they don't want to be associated with a product like cigarettes in the main. Many fans care. I've seen my fathers health decline because of smoking and he's the generation that were fed adverts showing smoking as something "real men" did.

Let's get cocaine dealers throwing some money into the sport to advertise their products while we're at it. After all the only consideration is that it's good for motorsport and nothing else.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 09:58 (Ref:3987575)   #6839
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
O
Let's get cocaine dealers throwing some money into the sport to advertise their products while we're at it. After all the only consideration is that it's good for motorsport and nothing else.
Been there, done that.....

https://drivetribe.com/p/the-btcc-te...TdahGHgDRb1IxA

Seriously though, I can't believe this is a debate that's rearing it's ugly head again in 2020- the tobacco industry has been largely put beyond the pale in sports marketing, and it's not coming back anytime soon in the BTCC. I've had a similar family experience to you with regard to smoking, and I agree with you 100%- in the present day, bringing a tobacco company on board will probably lose you more sponsors elsewhere than it's worth.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 10:19 (Ref:3987578)   #6840
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I personally never much had a problem with tobacco advertising in motorsport. It allowed for some great liveries. Myself, I have never smoked and never will (i'm 39 now) and tobacco advertising was primarly done to get existing smokers to switch brands, not to entice new smokers to start "sparking up".
Old 12 Jul 2020, 10:25 (Ref:3987579)   #6841
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Seriously though, I can't believe this is a debate that's rearing it's ugly head again in 2020- the tobacco industry has been largely put beyond the pale in sports marketing, and it's not coming back anytime soon in the BTCC. I've had a similar family experience to you with regard to smoking, and I agree with you 100%- in the present day, bringing a tobacco company on board will probably lose you more sponsors elsewhere than it's worth.

To be fair, it wasn't a debate per se, more of posting by one member who often seems to press the Submit Reply button before engaging his brain.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 10:26 (Ref:3987580)   #6842
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It would be near pointless anyway, it’s all plain packaging now. Hardly gonna help people identify with a cigarette brand now
Old 12 Jul 2020, 10:45 (Ref:3987584)   #6843
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tobacco will never return to sponsoring the motorsport for various reasons. First of all, as some of you rightly said, that would put many other sponsors off. It is probably due to the fact that a few decades ago (1970s, 80s, 90s) smoking was a big part of culture. Everyone smoked. You could see artists smoking during TV interviews, businessmen smoking in fancy restaurants, people watching BTCC races, too. Nowadays, smoking is less of a 'culture thing' and it is much more associated with health deterioration, bad effects to enivronment and so on and so forth. Things like IQOS and e-cigarettes are slowly being more popular than traditional cigarettes. Therefore, it's no chance to see tobacco brands being sponsors of racing teams. Who gives a damn? Probably society and all the 'norms' that you may argue with but still no one is able to change it.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 13:59 (Ref:3987628)   #6844
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I personally never much had a problem with tobacco advertising in motorsport. It allowed for some great liveries. Myself, I have never smoked and never will (i'm 39 now) and tobacco advertising was primarly done to get existing smokers to switch brands, not to entice new smokers to start "sparking up".
^ this

I never smoked and grew up on motorsport filled with the most succesful teams having the likes of Bastos, Camel, Windfiled, Malboro, Rothmans etc

and if the likes of Jordan, Plato, Hill etc etc would have a strong tabacco sponsor nobody would mind, certanly the drivers themselves

or say one of those would sponsor the likes of Andy Priaux, Robb Huff to return to BTCC for example I bet nobody here would complain about that
Old 12 Jul 2020, 14:25 (Ref:3987633)   #6845
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I really can’t see the problem with banning advertising of something that is so bad for you. Your example is relevant to you. For others it will legitimise it more, make them think about it more, increase the chance of trying it. It gives the right impression to have these restrictions. As it does with other similar bans.

And no, it isn’t banned like class A drugs, but then it is different from both it’s impact, but also it’s historical position. That might be a little odd and inconsistent in some ways, but context is required when considering.

Yes, some of the liveries ae indeed ace.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 14:27 (Ref:3987634)   #6846
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
and if the likes of Jordan, Plato, Hill etc etc would have a strong tabacco sponsor nobody would mind,
There are definitely a lot of people who would mind.

https://ash.org.uk/category/information-and-resources/advertising-promotion-sponsorship/

"Comprehensive bans on tobacco advertising are important to reduce youth smoking rates and to support adult smokers to quit. Partial bans are ineffective because companies move their marketing activities to formats not covered by law. In general, tobacco consumption falls more quickly in countries with comprehensive advertising bans than without them."
Old 12 Jul 2020, 14:37 (Ref:3987641)   #6847
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
The very last things insurance companies do is take gambles. It’s all about assessing and spreading risk, and re-insurance.
It is still a gamble. The odds are just stacked in their favour.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 14:41 (Ref:3987647)   #6848
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
and if the likes of Jordan, Plato, Hill etc etc would have a strong tabacco sponsor nobody would mind, certanly the drivers themselves

You really do write a load of b*ll*cks sometimes!

How on earth do you know that the drivers would welcome tobacco sponsorship? In fact, I do believe that Plato has only recently, after struggling to do so for years, finally managed to pack in smoking. I fon't think that he would appreciate driving a mobile billboard advertising something he has only just stopped!
Old 12 Jul 2020, 14:42 (Ref:3987648)   #6849
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
It is still a gamble. The odds are just stacked in their favour.
Trust me, there is zero gambling involved. Actuarially.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 16:41 (Ref:3987700)   #6850
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Trust me, there is zero gambling involved. Actuarially.
Try looking up the definitions of both and then you will see the similarities. Like I said as far as insurance is concerned they just have the odds stacked in their favour.