Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 13 Apr 2008, 13:09 (Ref:2176404)   #26
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I think Casey did some good damage limitation today actually. We saw him dropping back like a stone(r); but then didn't see him getting ahead of Toseland, DePuniet etc to end up in 6th. Obviously he was helped by Hayden's and Dovizioso's crashes, but clearly he found something again in the latter stages.

I'm wondering if his tyres survived better than the others? Which might not mean that the Bridgestones themselves are bad, just that they don't suit the Yamaha...
Old 13 Apr 2008, 13:18 (Ref:2176410)   #27
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Casey did do a good job actually, but I just had to release my year of pain!

I did wonder about the tyre life, but it was easier for Stoner to look quick I suppose because he had a lower starting point. Whereas Rossi simply peaked early, declined and then flatlined.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 13:20 (Ref:2176414)   #28
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Jerez and Bridgestone have always been bogey tracks for Bridgestone.

However, Michelin have done great work with their tyre. I agree with Knowles that Rossi should have been a bit more patient, he should have shown a bit more loyalty. Still he and Bridgestone will be there eventually.

Congrats to Jorge.

Shame for Dovizioso, great ride until he dropped it.

Shame for Hayden as well, didnt see what happened to him, but I got the feeling he pushed to hard.

Ducati proved their (road)bike reputation, bits fallling off...

Yamaha have built a sweet bike, it's like a Honda, it's not just Rossi anymore that can win on it.

Who was the last man before Rossi that won on a Yamaha?
Old 13 Apr 2008, 13:49 (Ref:2176431)   #29
vorsprung
Veteran

vorsprung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first third of the race had proper scrap at the front and then the Spaniards ran away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
Who was the last man before Rossi that won on a Yamaha?
The Roman Emperor in Malaysia back in 2002
Old 13 Apr 2008, 18:58 (Ref:2176591)   #30
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy

I fear a year of Pedrobot (and Lorenzo Land) woefulness!
What with the new Honda engine coming for the next race i can see Dani riding off into the distance quite easily (I'm a Dani fan )

Oh, and Honda, give Dovi Hayden's bike

Quote:

If Rossi had displayed a bit of patience with Michelin (they were always going to hit back) he'd be walking this championship.
Not that i have anything against Rossi personally, but i hope that Michelin kick his arse this season. He win's 5(?) titles with them, has one really bad year and spits his dummy out.

Quote:

Casey who?
Still the only man that can ride a Duke though
Old 13 Apr 2008, 21:23 (Ref:2176685)   #31
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, the first part of the race was great. Had a chuckle when Lorenzo stuffed it up under Rossi in the chicane. Lorenzo looks more willing to battle than Pedrosa. Also, loved seeing Pedrosa slamming the tank after he crossed the line. Oh please let them have at it with handbags soon.

Pretty solid ride from Hopkins. Too bad he wasn't fit from the get go.

I think Stoner did a really great job. He was as far back as 11th or so and still managed some good points.

Bummer Nick, you botched the first corner and then tossed it down the road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
What with the new Honda engine coming for the next race i can see Dani riding off into the distance quite easily (I'm a Dani fan )
Not so fast. Honda announced this week that they wont be testing the new motor tomorrow.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 21:24 (Ref:2176687)   #32
flying finn
Racer

Australia
Sydney Australia
flying finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MotoGP Round 3 - Estoril Portugal - Results

1. Jorge LORENZO SPA > Fiat Yamaha Team YAMAHA > 45'53.089 (153.117kmh)
2. Dani PEDROSA SPA > Repsol Honda Team HONDA > 45'54.906 (+1.817)
3. Valentino ROSSI ITA > Fiat Yamaha Team YAMAHA > 46'05.812 (+12.723)
4. Colin EDWARDS USA > Tech 3 Yamaha YAMAHA > 46'10.312 (+17.223)
5. John HOPKINS USA > Kawasaki Racing Team KAWASAKI > 46'16.841 (+23.752)
6. Casey STONER AUS > Ducati Marlboro Team DUCATI > 46'19.777 (+26.688)
7. James TOSELAND GBR > Tech 3 Yamaha YAMAHA > 46'25.720 (+32.631)
8. Chris VERMEULEN AUS > Rizla Suzuki MotoGP SUZUKI > 46'29.471 (+36.382)
9. Loris CAPIROSSI ITA > Rizla Suzuki MotoGP SUZUKI > 46'31.357 (+38.268)
10. Shinya NAKANO JPN > San Carlo Honda Gresini HONDA > 46'32.565 (+39.476)
11. Alex DE ANGELIS RSM > San Carlo Honda Gresini HONDA > 46'54.395 (+1'01.306)
12. Toni ELIAS SPA > Alice Team DUCATI > 46'56.956 (+1'03.867)
13. Marco MELANDRI ITA > Ducati Marlboro Team DUCATI > 47'02.614 (+1'09.525)
14. Sylvain GUINTOLI FRA > Alice Team DUCATI > 47'02.723 (+1'09.634)
15. Randy DE PUNIET FRA > LCR Honda MotoGP HONDA > 47'04.631 (+1'11.542)
16. Anthony WEST AUS > Kawasaki Racing Team KAWASAKI > 47'16.718 (+1'23.629)
DNF. Nicky HAYDEN USA > Repsol Honda Team HONDA > 26'23.675 (+12 laps)
DNF. Andrea DOVIZIOSO ITA > JiR Team Scot MotoGP HONDA > 24'43.870 (+13 laps)

Championship Standings

1. LORENZO Jorge SPA > 61
2. PEDROSA Dani SPA > 61
3. ROSSI Valentino ITA > 47
4. STONER Casey AUS > 40
5. TOSELAND James GBR > 29
6. CAPIROSSI Loris ITA > 26
7. HOPKINS John USA > 24
8. EDWARDS Colin USA > 22
9. DOVIZIOSO Andrea ITA > 21
10. HAYDEN Nicky USA > 19
11. NAKANO Shinya JPN > 16
12. VERMEULEN Chris AUS > 14
13. MELANDRI Marco ITA > 12
14. DE PUNIET Randy FRA > 8
15. DE ANGELIS Alex RSM > 7
16. ELIAS Toni SPA > 7
17. WEST Anthony AUS > 3
18. GUINTOLI Sylvain FRA > 3
Old 13 Apr 2008, 21:31 (Ref:2176693)   #33
flying finn
Racer

Australia
Sydney Australia
flying finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congatulations to Jorge Lorenzo for his first ever MotoGP win. After podiums in Qatar and Spain it is clear that he knows how to race. Nice 2nd place for Dany Pedrosa for his third podium of the year. Feel sorry for Nicky Hayden as he was looking good for a top 5 finish.

Stoner's problems were not limited to the tyres but also a loose on-board camera > "It was incredible what happened today, we had a problem which was no fault of the bike from the beginning of the race. I didn’t understand what was going on and wasn’t sure if an important part of the bike was involved. It was a major distraction and I’m not happy that something involving the organisers cost me. Sometimes the piece would lock the steering and sometimes it locked the clutch lever. It was a very difficult situation but eventually I worked out a way of how to ride it. Every time I came down the straight I pushed it back into place but the turbulence from the wind would blow it back out again so it was very frustrating. I think a better result was possible for sure. It wasn’t a good weekend but the problem in the race was not a general fault with the bike.”
Old 13 Apr 2008, 21:50 (Ref:2176710)   #34
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fairly mundae racing after the initial panic about weather died down.

Goor rides from a few riders, Hopper showing well and Dovi for me is the stadout rider of the whole season so far. Jorge I expected to go well really, maybe not this well but for Dovi he is on a tinbox year old bike and is up there every meeting.

Good from Edwards, not falling away as usual and good from Stoner, must ahve been distracting, but its interesting that Vale has been best Bridgey for last two races?
Old 14 Apr 2008, 07:58 (Ref:2176894)   #35
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think had Stoner known it was the Camera and nothing important from the bike he would of just ripped it off.

well done Hore Hey, shame Dovi crashed ditto Nicky.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 09:14 (Ref:2176949)   #36
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Is there a genuine reason why A. West sucks so much this year? Last year he had quite a big mouth about how he was going to replace de Puniet, cause he was more consistant and more saddle steady. Still, de Puniet might drop it on occassions, he still finishes ahead of West grabbing the last point.

West has been awfull. But here in NL the Dutch commentators probably don't even know who he is, so no mention about his problems.

I have to say, the Dutch commentary didn't suck as much as the week before during the WSBK. How was the Romanian commentary Dani? (is that Dani, as in Pedrosa? )
Old 14 Apr 2008, 10:16 (Ref:2177022)   #37
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
West is underperforming big time .. maybe not as bad as Melandri but close

regarding the romanian commentary .. i'll have to ask some friends of mine who are stuck with it .. i was listening to Toby Moody and Julian Ryder

noooooooooooooooo . not as in Pedrosa ..

Ciao Marco
Old 14 Apr 2008, 14:39 (Ref:2177265)   #38
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth
noooooooooooooooo . not as in Pedrosa ..
It's a natural confusion. For example, in my case, people tends to think "Schummy" is after Michael Schumacher, but actually it is after Cora Schumacher, a much more interesting person.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 14:46 (Ref:2177268)   #39
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
I always thought you were Ralf...

A lot of eye-opening happening today
Old 14 Apr 2008, 16:25 (Ref:2177331)   #40
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have never been a great fan of West, has flattered to deceive on more than one occasion in the past.
Seems to be one of these guys that goes great when he is riding for his place, but when his contract is signed he relaxes.

Problem last year was that Kawa basically got rid of Randy coz he crashed too much! West was on a par on occasion and now Hopper has come and taken the pace forward another notch.

West is a good 250 rider and should have stayed in WSS where he would have had a chance to win a world championship. Will only get good results in GP in the wet. You cant blame the lad for wanting to be in GP, but so far he hasn't been that impressive.

Quite what the problem is I dont know, fitness, style or just pace?
Old 14 Apr 2008, 17:15 (Ref:2177372)   #41
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The problem is he is pants.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 21:53 (Ref:2177591)   #42
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i'll translate that ..

"the problem is he is an aussie"

you can't be pants in MotoGP .. not in these days .. is Melandri pants ? a 250 champion and multiple motogp wins under his belt ??
the problem isn't that simple .. West might not be Rossi or Pedrosa like but he isn't pants

Last edited by Dani Filth; 14 Apr 2008 at 21:56.

Ciao Marco
Old 14 Apr 2008, 22:12 (Ref:2177606)   #43
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I'm terribly sorry but if you are gettig trounced by a team mate who has spent the first part of the year half fit then you should get booted, it would happen in F1.

And the same for Melandri. Why on earth should Ducati make the bike any different if Stoner can win on it.

And please dont presume that I am not a West fan because of where he comes from. I dont like the guy because he has had chance after chance and not delivered. He blew off the KTM deal because he couldnt keep his mouth shut at a time when a little bit of maturity might have helped.

Young riders from places like America,Germany and Holland would jump at the amount of chances he has had, they might not be world champion material but moaning incessantly as he did in 250 never helps!

Fair play the lad is awesome in the wet, but then it doesnt take long to learn does it Vale?
Old 14 Apr 2008, 22:12 (Ref:2177607)   #44
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

He is field filler. The odd wet weather miracle, but field filler.

Casey Stoner he is not.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 01:06 (Ref:2177678)   #45
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
It's a pity (or possibly not) but West looks rather unimpressive in dry road. I love to see his marvel rides in wet (this is beginning to sound badly) conditions.

I am even more sorry to say that Vermeulen (who every one likes, including me) is a bit the same. Very good in wet, usually not impressive in dry.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 03:58 (Ref:2177708)   #46
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris has dissapointed me this year but then so have Suzuki as a whole.

Westy something is up i think he is the type of laid back bloke that needs a foot up his arse and be put under pressure to perform, Stoner, Rossi, Pedrobot and now Hore Hey he is not but i feel he could certainly be further up, he has the ability he is just a little to laid back.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 06:13 (Ref:2177734)   #47
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Chris V's biggest problem is that he can't qualify to save himself. His race pace is generally quite good, but he usually gets help up battling in the mid pack. When he does get clear he often sets a pace quicker than his qualifying times. I often think he needs to race to get the best out of himself.

I agree Westy is seriously under performing this year. He was generally a top 10 finisher last year, which wasn't bad considering his late arrival. This year he lucky if he scores points.
I've never considered him a top class rider (in the dry), but he is better than he is showing at the moment.

A touch of the Milandri's maybe?
Old 15 Apr 2008, 06:22 (Ref:2177736)   #48
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfit
I think Chris V's biggest problem is that he can't qualify to save himself. His race pace is generally quite good, but he usually gets help up battling in the mid pack. When he does get clear he often sets a pace quicker than his qualifying times. I often think he needs to race to get the best out of himself.
Yeah I agree. I actually think he's not doing that bad. He's at the same pace as Loris in the races. Loris might have gotten a bit of a bad name last year, but everybody knows he's quick.

The thing that surprises me is that I get the impression that Loris is number one in the team. For example, Loris didn't like the new fairing (Suzuki had been testing it since Barcelona last year), so they still race with the 2007 cowl!
Old 15 Apr 2008, 07:07 (Ref:2177751)   #49
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
I'm terribly sorry but if you are gettig trounced by a team mate who has spent the first part of the year half fit then you should get booted, it would happen in F1.

And the same for Melandri. Why on earth should Ducati make the bike any different if Stoner can win on it.

And please dont presume that I am not a West fan because of where he comes from. I dont like the guy because he has had chance after chance and not delivered. He blew off the KTM deal because he couldnt keep his mouth shut at a time when a little bit of maturity might have helped.

Young riders from places like America,Germany and Holland would jump at the amount of chances he has had, they might not be world champion material but moaning incessantly as he did in 250 never helps!

Fair play the lad is awesome in the wet, but then it doesnt take long to learn does it Vale?

and I agree completely .. if he would get booted . I wouldn't ***** about it
as for Ducati suiting Melandri .. if that would be the case .. Stoner could use the help Marco could give in taking points from the oposition .. but sadly . that won't happen

Ciao Marco
Old 15 Apr 2008, 14:04 (Ref:2178062)   #50
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting comments about Vermuelen. I've been having the same thoughts recently. He has been a bit anonymous. You wouldn't know he was there. I'm beginning to wonder about his future in the MotoGP.