Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 5 Nov 2014, 19:56 (Ref:3471979)   #1151
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Shocking. Maybe he's not as Scrooge McDuck as I/we thought.

I can see P2 BoP magically improving now as mr Shank should have more politics negotiation power with IMSA/NASCAR than Oak & ESM together ever did. Also now that Oak has actual US customer, there's no real need for them to return anymore.

Maybe the team can now finally remove this annoying piece from their website too
The top category in Grand-Am Road Racing and the undisputed stars of the Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Special Reserve, Daytona Prototypes are exotic, mid-engine machines that are purpose-built strictly for competition on the track. Low to the ground and capable of speeds in excess of 185 mph, Daytona Prototypes also feature the latest in safety technology, including carbon fiber side impact panels and a multi-point roll cage with a unique center post at mid-windshield.

Anyway his Le Mans ambitions are the most interesting. Running in second division class and not being served BoP on the plate all the time is something very new to that team.
Old 5 Nov 2014, 20:12 (Ref:3471989)   #1152
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Music to my ears:

"We were frankly having a hard time selling the DP program with the change to the Prototype class ahead; everybody wants to be in the latest cars—the cars that are next up on the scene, and this isn't going to be a cheap move for us, but we knew it had to be done to keep our program moving ahead,"

The market will decide.
Old 5 Nov 2014, 21:01 (Ref:3472022)   #1153
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I wonder if this is a new chassis or one of the 3 originals? Waiting till after Daytona to debut is probably a good idea with the advantage the DP has there.

I have a feeling the fan opinion of Mike Shank is going to be shifting slightly after this announcement!

edit: just saw part of article saying they won't get the car until after Daytona, so that's the reason for running dp - not bop.
Fan opinion of Mr. Shank will improve when he stops his incessant moaning.

That said.

This is a smart move, and his team, sponsors, and drivers will have a lot more exposure running a Ford powerd Ligier rather than the DP.

It also unfortunately proves that the inclusion of the DPs was unnecessary from the start because if Mike Shank is running a P2 that means everybody else could too (looking at you Wayne Taylor Racing!).
Old 5 Nov 2014, 21:12 (Ref:3472027)   #1154
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Update from Pruett on MWM: Already struggling to "keep the lights on" and faced with the prospect of losing Pew's interest (and therefore backing), Shank decided a P2 purchase was the most sensible option.
Old 5 Nov 2014, 22:17 (Ref:3472051)   #1155
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshall Pruett also said it's a new engine going into the Shank car. Not a new marque, but a new engine, most likely with aim towards the global engine rules. So, something under 2 liters in displacement with a turbo.
Old 6 Nov 2014, 00:21 (Ref:3472079)   #1156
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I have a feeling the fan opinion of Mike Shank is going to be shifting slightly after this announcement!
As an LMP/ALMS fan, I have often found Mike Shanks opinions abrasive.
However I will happily bury the hatchet and wholeheartedly cheer for his team next season. For me, the cars really are the stars and those Ligiers are really stunning!
Old 6 Nov 2014, 00:27 (Ref:3472080)   #1157
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another bit of news from Midweek Motorsport, It sounds like Bobby Rahals plans for a DP have been abandoned. BMW to focus on GT and better marketing.
Old 6 Nov 2014, 02:02 (Ref:3472092)   #1158
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think in 2015 all of the full time prototype teams except for the Delta Wing are going to be ex-Grand Am teams, including teams that appears to be running LMP2 cars: Speedsource, Shank, and perhaps Starworks (what the heck is their status). I personally think Oak won’t be around in TUSC next year. Gustavo seems like will have plenty of options for rides in WEC and ELMS.

GTLM seems to be 8 cars right now. The cars from last year minus SRT.
Old 6 Nov 2014, 02:27 (Ref:3472096)   #1159
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Think you have to go back to 2009 Long Beach GT1 to get smaller headline GT category grid than that? And for GT2, I don't know, 2005-2006 or something?
Old 6 Nov 2014, 02:46 (Ref:3472100)   #1160
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
And for GT2, I don't know, 2005-2006 or something?
Wait, why am I asking this when I've made a graph about it?
http://postimg.org/image/tax7w5odn/full/

If 8 GTLM cars start the race: Mosport 2002
Old 6 Nov 2014, 03:22 (Ref:3472106)   #1161
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good on shank. Just funny..seems like almost the most unlikely to buy a p2 15 months ago...hell..3 months ago. Hope he can get bop help needed to keep the car competitive
Old 6 Nov 2014, 03:39 (Ref:3472110)   #1162
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Intresting shank news,good for him for doing something different with out throwing a huge fit (yet).but I still don't like the guy or going to start liking him.shank,Barron,and Taylor I can care less what they do,plus this car will make what three p2s and with his drivers it will be faster than only the mazdas.and if they go 2 liter turbo for goods sake I hope ford doesn't try to make any of its i4 ecoboosts into a race engine!
Old 6 Nov 2014, 05:18 (Ref:3472128)   #1163
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
Another bit of news from Midweek Motorsport, It sounds like Bobby Rahals plans for a DP have been abandoned. BMW to focus on GT and better marketing.

Fantastic!! One less DP to think about.
Old 6 Nov 2014, 06:36 (Ref:3472135)   #1164
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With ESM likely running only NAEC, this means ... two Lola-Mazdas and Mike Shank in modern race cars. He now will be moaning because he has a fast car and never wins.

Really good news in a way ... because it means Oak won't be back with an actually competitive P2, and Shank will be learning a new chassis and working with a new motor while restricted by BoP.

What this really means is WTR, SDR, and Ganassi will be the only competitive teams.
Old 6 Nov 2014, 07:11 (Ref:3472141)   #1165
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
With ESM likely running only NAEC, this means ... two Lola-Mazdas and Mike Shank in modern race cars. He now will be moaning because he has a fast car and never wins.

Really good news in a way ... because it means Oak won't be back with an actually competitive P2, and Shank will be learning a new chassis and working with a new motor while restricted by BoP.

What this really means is WTR, SDR, and Ganassi will be the only competitive teams.
So..same as this last year
Old 6 Nov 2014, 08:11 (Ref:3472152)   #1166
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No love for action express? I think they won something this year.
Old 6 Nov 2014, 13:23 (Ref:3472219)   #1167
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

Mike won't be complaining that he has a fast car (even if it is), he will complaining - among repeating how much money he had to spend again - that P2 has crap BoP against DP, ie total magic turn around from last year. But since he is ex-Grand-Am figure, his performance balancing arguing-whining power will be stronger than Oak's or ESM's ever were, so it shouldn't be too worrying for him. However, unless he manages to stick Ecoboost into this coupe somehow, he will lose the DP-OEM-politics shield he used to have. So it's 50-50
Old 6 Nov 2014, 15:35 (Ref:3472250)   #1168
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Seems like OAK will be back, at least for the NAEC:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/11060...ototype-return

Ganassi confirms continuation of current package, only 1 car is mentioned, hopefully we'll see the second car out for the enduros:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/11060...engine-package

Also, no up-front class limits by IMSA:
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/11059...-consideration

There are a lot of TUSC news/press releases coming out at the moment (take that any way you want), especially in the Prototype class.

I'm wondering, with the abundance of P2 programs announced for the WEC, could we see one or two of those 'proposed' entries flocking over to TUSC?
Old 6 Nov 2014, 16:03 (Ref:3472258)   #1169
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Seems like OAK will be back, at least for the NAEC:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/11060...ototype-return

Ganassi confirms continuation of current package, only 1 car is mentioned, hopefully we'll see the second car out for the enduros:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/11060...engine-package

There are a lot of TUSC news/press releases coming out at the moment (take that any way you want), especially in the Prototype class.

I'm wondering, with the abundance of P2 programs announced for the WEC, could we see one or two of those 'proposed' entries flocking over to TUSC?
I'm hoping we'll at least see a bunch of one off's (or two) at Daytona and Sebring with P2 cars. (other than ESM and OAK)
Old 6 Nov 2014, 16:03 (Ref:3472259)   #1170
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidder View Post
Good on shank. Just funny..seems like almost the most unlikely to buy a p2 15 months ago...hell..3 months ago. Hope he can get bop help needed to keep the car competitive
I wonder if nascar bought the car as a way to keep a few P2s around and that's why he has had a sudden turn around on how he feels about P2 cars.
Old 6 Nov 2014, 16:04 (Ref:3472260)   #1171
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
I'm hoping we'll at least see a bunch of one off's (or two) at Daytona and Sebring with P2 cars. (other than ESM and OAK)
What a sad state we are in now. We have gone from expecting one off P1s at Sebring to hoping for one offs P2s.
Old 6 Nov 2014, 21:35 (Ref:3472332)   #1172
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post

How many PC's are around right now?
Old 6 Nov 2014, 21:49 (Ref:3472336)   #1173
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
I wonder if nascar bought the car as a way to keep a few P2s around and that's why he has had a sudden turn around on how he feels about P2 cars.
My exact thought...
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 6 Nov 2014, 22:11 (Ref:3472342)   #1174
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80 View Post
How many PC's are around right now?
You mean the number of cars available or the number of cars expected to join the series in 2015?
Old 7 Nov 2014, 00:36 (Ref:3472370)   #1175
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
My exact thought...
You're pretty hooked into this series. Can't you just ask him instead of saying you had a thought?