Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 30 Oct 2003, 20:11 (Ref:768427)   #1
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Duffacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport photography

Hello,

I am a 15year old boy who is interested in motorsport, ive been to alot of race meetings and wonded how i could start a career in motorsport photography?

Id be interested in hearing your views,

thanks.

Brundle: Didn’t see too many in practice
Old 30 Oct 2003, 21:03 (Ref:768479)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Welcome Duffacus!

I am just getting into photography as more than my own hobby and interest as well. I covered the Southern Drag Boat Association this year for the Drag Boat Review and sold a few photos to the racers as well as made up promotional trading cards for a few of the teams. As I am attending the races as crew chief for a race team I have access to areas that spectators are not allowed and that helps.

I would suggest going to the local race tracks and shooting as much film as you can afford or as much digital as you can stand. Practice makes you better. Find out why your shots are not what you expect and learn how to correct them. A lot of that comes from knowing your camera and what its particular quirks are. A lot of people will spend thousands on specialized gear when you merely need competent gear to start out with. As you get better and outgrow your equipment then you can justify the pro quality camera body and expensive lenses. Too many aspiring shooters will spend a fortune and then be disappointed as their shots don't look like the magazine shots they are wanting. It is much more than just the equipment that makes the pro's shots look so good.

Do you already own any gear?
Never forget #99
Old 30 Oct 2003, 21:33 (Ref:768509)   #3
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
At the moment all i have is a digital camera, a Kodak EasyShare DX4330! I went to Donington a few times this year to see verious races and took quite a few shots while i was there, if you go to this link: http://www.freewebs.com/my_motorsport_photos/ it is a website created by me for all my motorsport photos. I havent finished the site yet but if you click onto the BritishGT race you will find shots i took with my Dads 20year old Pentex MG SLR. The shots arent exactly brilliant! but if you go to the GT race and the DTM races,which i used the Kodak for, my shots have improved abit. Most of the GT cars are not on track but 3 of my DTM shots are. If you could give me some feedback on these i would be very greatful.

Old 30 Oct 2003, 23:13 (Ref:768592)   #4
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
keep taking the pictures at the weekend...but thats not the way in. look for college photography courses, learn everything there is to know and your pictures will become better from two angles - theory and practice. hopefully you'll pass with flying colours and then be able to approach all the motorsport, sport, and general photo agencies with a view from starting on the bottom rung. you'll probably get saddled with refiling or maybe some darkroom work, or of you're really lucky perhaps be sent out as a wire technician to events. all this is very good experience also as a way of seeing how to work, and what the pros are taking and sending in. from there you hopefully will be able to shoot a little yourself until you're good enough for your boss to send you out on your own. from there on its your own skill, personality and luck that will carry you thru. good luck!

ps...empics are in nottingham.
Old 31 Oct 2003, 13:55 (Ref:769205)   #5
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Your site is well done.

My simple critique on the shots. Composition looks good. Some people like to have a little more empty space ahead of the car so it appears to be going somewhere, but I typicaly prefer the image centered. It looks like the exposure is off a little, but this is probably because of the maximum zoom coupled to a relaitvely slow fStop. If you are like me and cannot afford to jump to a really fast lense for film, then try slowing down the shutter speed some more and practice you panning until you get sharp shots. This also allows more blurring on the wheels and imparts more motion ot the picture.

I wholeheartedly agree with kdr abotu seeking education on photography. The theory behind it all allows you to accurately troubleshoot why your shots might be bad and why they are good.
Never forget #99
Old 31 Oct 2003, 14:25 (Ref:769243)   #6
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Thanks both of you, i can talk to one of my media teachers at school to see if he has any ideas and i can also look into some college/university courses and try and get some info,

thanks again for your time and opinions guys,

Old 3 Nov 2003, 11:23 (Ref:771386)   #7
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All I can say being a very late starter myself is take advantage of everything and anything that comes your way right now..courses etc. and just keep taking the photos...get to meetings that you think may not usually interest you as you can hone your techinques...keep notes too.
You should be able to do AS/A level photography and that should give you access to regular SLR's, digital SLR's and free film and developing (my eldest daughter just completed her A level)
I don't know whether there is an age limit for trackside access (I'm assuming 16) but if you get on a course and get your hands on some nice kit you should apply for a photographers pass maybe initially at a clubbie at Mallory or Donington (seeing as they would be your locals)
Old 5 Nov 2003, 02:15 (Ref:773360)   #8
bevilan
Rookie

bevilan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am always starting conversations with other photographers at local tracks. Of course I am carefull to not intrude on others when they are taking pictures. Most motorsports photographers enjoy talking about what they do.