Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jun 2000, 10:03 (Ref:17554)   #1
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone else noticed that Eddie Irvine seems to have ditched his loudmouth playboy attitude this year and become very much a hard-working part of the, slowly improving, Jaguar team ?

Do you think this was a concious decision, or do you think that it has come about as a result of Jaguar involving him in developing the team, whereas Team Schumi didn't want him involved, and left him pretty much to his own devices ? Maybe he's not quite such a rebel as the people here claimed at the end of last season ? Remember the cries of, 'Herbert will blow him away' ?!
Old 16 Jun 2000, 12:56 (Ref:17590)   #2
Schume
Racer

Schume should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The key thing is probably that he now has a "proper job" at Jaguar, developing the car etc. At Team Schumi he was just the "other driver" until Silverstone last year, when the plot took an unexpected turn.

Last season his lifestyle was being overhyped with Life In The Fast Lane etc etc....

He is probably still the party animal, but now it is old news. People are more interested in Jenson Button et al...
Old 16 Jun 2000, 13:19 (Ref:17591)   #3
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think part of it is Eddie has been given a role in developing the team AND I'm willing to bet he was asked to moderate his behavior and public statements at the very beginning. Mustn't do anything that would reflect poorly on the venerable Jaguar name you know.

I'm glad to see they're making slow but steady progress. I cant believe how quickly they were dismissed when they didnt score points right out of the box. They will be a team to contend with in 2001.
Old 16 Jun 2000, 15:29 (Ref:17606)   #4
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I suspect he was duely told after he said at Melbourne that "We're only doing half of qualifying because we have a PR event to go to!!"
Lesson learnt, mouth shut...

...or perhaps he's just the same as he's always been, but because Jaguar have not had much success, we've just seen less of him??
Old 16 Jun 2000, 20:21 (Ref:17640)   #5
AL Racing
Racer

AL Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes I surely remember in the winter-testing a lot of people here sad Herbert will blow him away, I was pretty sure the opposite would happen.
Old 16 Jun 2000, 21:39 (Ref:17649)   #6
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've ALWAYS maintained EI is one of the most underated drivers on the grid, even before last year. Recently who has he been compared to? Schumacher! A pretty tough task to the extent that another good driver (Rubinho) APPEARS to be being destroyed by his pace.

EI is a welcome injection of personality to an ever more sterile set of drivers out there, and I'm all in favour of that.
Old 17 Jun 2000, 11:00 (Ref:17692)   #7
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That may be the case, Michael, but have you seen and heard any of his interviews this year ? The guy is acting like a real team player! It's a terrible shame that Herbie hasn't been up to his pace as, despite their differences, i'm sure they would complement each other perfectly.

Go Eddie! Go Jag!