Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 20 Feb 2008, 23:16 (Ref:2133712)   #1
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Will this be your first ever visit to Le Mans?

So will it be?
I remember my first time back in '96,we went there on a whim and were completely blown away by the spectacle. The vastness of the place,the warm welcome we received from all the other pilgrims,the atmosphere...sigh...
We haven't missed one since(me and a good girlfriend of mine,she actually met her husband there in '98 !)and I hope to be able to attend for as long as my heart pounds.

Last edited by GTfour; 20 Feb 2008 at 23:21.
Old 21 Feb 2008, 08:08 (Ref:2133899)   #2
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's my second visit this year, not my first, but I know exactly what your getting at. For over a decade I've been making British GT and FIA GT visits an unmissable addition on my personal calendars, with the LMS joining in too, where being an absentee simply isn't an option.

After missing out for so long I finally got myself over to Le Mans last year and can safely say it has immediately joined the others in being a permanent, unmissable addition to my free time.

This is exactly what some people here said would happen, so I know for first timers your never quite sure just how good an experience it is until you actually get there. Then the sheer size and legend/spirit of the place begins to hit you...
Old 21 Feb 2008, 08:20 (Ref:2133906)   #3
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
First visit was the glorious 1991 race, been back ever since.
Learned about the race through the Michel Vaillant albums when I was about 6 years old and wanted to go there when I was older.

There's just something about this place, every time we arrive we feel like we're coming to our second home.
Hope to go there as long as I can.
Old 21 Feb 2008, 10:46 (Ref:2134025)   #4
fish88
Racer

Netherlands
fish88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This year will be my first time, don't know what to expect but i shure hope it wnt be the last time.
Old 21 Feb 2008, 10:54 (Ref:2134032)   #5
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
I've attended 30 per cent of all Le Mans 24hours.

I have recollections in the 60s of listening to The Light Programme for updates after the news bulletins.

I was first there in the 70s

This will be year 23 out of 24. The buzz is always the same even after all these years
Old 21 Feb 2008, 10:55 (Ref:2134034)   #6
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year was my first ever Le Mans. Unfortunately it was also one of the wettest for many a year. Still, I enjoyed my time there and will never forget it. Didn't think I would be going this year, im more of a single seater fan than sportscars.

But last minute I decided I would go again in 2008. Cannot wait!!

I think i'm hooked, but don't want to admit it. I have not missed a single LMS race in the UK since the series was born either. If it wasn't for those races I probably wouldn't of taken a keener interest in sportscar racing.
Old 21 Feb 2008, 11:02 (Ref:2134042)   #7
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
First went there to see what was all about in 1989 , with my brother . Missed 1990 cuz I was working in Isreal ..... did 1991 and missed 1992 cuz of a crap grid . did 1993 and 94 ..... got to see qualifying in 1995 and had to leave early cuz our Dad died and have been there every year since except for 2006 cuz my wife was arriving from a trip .

I remember standing on the outside of Tetre Rouge , talking to an old little frenchman . We proudly told him that it was our 5th year at Le Mans , he replyed that it was his 26th or something like that !!! He must have seen some brilliant cars and battles !!! I turned green with envy .......

So this will be my 17th year of Le Mans , im working on beating that old man . I sometimes wonder does he still go .

First year I nearly got run over by a Kremer 962C , the red Kenwood car in their pits out the back . Those old pits were certainly a disgrace but Im glad that I was there and saw them .

Sad that they got rid of the Mulsanne straight though .

The only place that I havent been on the track , is between Arnage and the Porsche curves ..... any ideas ?

I have it in my mind that when I die , I would like my ashs to be thrown around Tetre Rouge , the finest corner in the world .

Is that allowed in France ? Still a few years to go though , hopefully !!!
Old 21 Feb 2008, 11:04 (Ref:2134043)   #8
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux
I've attended 30 per cent of all Le Mans 24hours.

I have recollections in the 60s of listening to The Light Programme for updates after the news bulletins.

I was first there in the 70s

This will be year 23 out of 24. The buzz is always the same even after all these years
Hey ..... are you the little old Frenchman that I was talking about then ?

More power to you
Old 21 Feb 2008, 11:05 (Ref:2134044)   #9
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
[quote=dazbaz_99] im more of a single seater fan than sportscars.

quote]

Hope you get better soon!
Old 21 Feb 2008, 11:06 (Ref:2134048)   #10
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Hey ..... are you the little old Frenchman that I was talking about then ?

More power to you

Sorry, Badger. I'm a big old englishman!
Old 21 Feb 2008, 11:21 (Ref:2134063)   #11
The Badger
Veteran

LMAO @ big old englishman!

Well done .....
Old 21 Feb 2008, 11:26 (Ref:2134064)   #12
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish88
This year will be my first time, don't know what to expect but i shure hope it wnt be the last time.
Welcome at Le Mans. Please don't miss the TT apéritif on saturday at noon in the village under the symbolised GoogleEarth pine !
Old 21 Feb 2008, 11:33 (Ref:2134071)   #13
The Badger
Veteran

symbolised GoogleEarth pine ..... where is that then ? Must have missed it !!!
Old 21 Feb 2008, 12:11 (Ref:2134091)   #14
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
/QUOTE
I have it in my mind that when I die , I would like my ashs to be thrown around Tetre Rouge , the finest corner in the world .

Badger, I was thinking about the same but then to spread mine along the entire track in bits everywhere.
But like you indeed let's hope it will take a very long time to do so.

In my first year I got nearly ran over by a Cougar-porsche at the end of the race while we were on the finish straight. Those were the days...
Old 21 Feb 2008, 12:21 (Ref:2134101)   #15
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
symbolised GoogleEarth pine ..... where is that then ? Must have missed it !!!
Find the photos here !
Old 21 Feb 2008, 12:26 (Ref:2134105)   #16
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM
Welcome at Le Mans. Please don't miss the TT apéritif on saturday at noon in the village under the symbolised GoogleEarth pine !
Im going to make sure I remember about the meet this time!

Thanks Pascal, im getting better. Hey after Le Mans this year, maybe I will be fully cured of my single seater disease....
Old 21 Feb 2008, 12:40 (Ref:2134113)   #17
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
08 will be my first LeMans .. i can't wait

Ciao Marco
Old 21 Feb 2008, 12:43 (Ref:2134121)   #18
Lusitano
Racer

Portugal
Barcelona
Lusitano should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first time was in ´06. I went there by myself from the US, after finalizing my divorce (forgot to thank her).

Last year, I returned with a mate and my sister and her boyfriend.

This year, I will be there for the whole week! hahahaha
Old 21 Feb 2008, 13:06 (Ref:2134141)   #19
The Badger
Veteran

What a brilliant presant for a dirorce party !!!
Old 21 Feb 2008, 16:49 (Ref:2134337)   #20
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth
08 will be my first LeMans .. i can't wait
Well then,be prepared to be blown of your socks! A good thing about Le Mans is that one can tell stories of great battle's and legends,of huge drinkfests,of the most idiotic pranks and it will still not cover what is really going on there.

A tip for you: When on your campsite,don't stick to your encampment like a moth to a lamp. Every now and then get yourself a beer and just start walking across the huge campsites. Marvel at the rare and exotic cars you'll encounter,enjoy the friendliness of the other fans and before you know it,it'll be four in the morning!

Last edited by GTfour; 21 Feb 2008 at 16:56.
Old 21 Feb 2008, 17:15 (Ref:2134368)   #21
Cypher09
Rookie

United States
Long Island, NY
Cypher09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tentatively 2009 will be my first one. My fiancée is all gung-ho about going for our honeymoon and then going to see Paris afterwards.
Old 21 Feb 2008, 17:36 (Ref:2134376)   #22
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
That sounds lovely! There must be loads of really nice and romantic little hotels around there.
I'm sure there are guys on this forum who can tell you the nice places to stay. I envy you mate! Also knowing that 2009 will probably be a fantastic race with the new Aston factory team and factory entries from Acure and GM battling it out with the diesels.
Old 21 Feb 2008, 23:08 (Ref:2134591)   #23
Zytek_Fan
Racer

United States
Zytek_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first Le Mans will be 2010...
Old 21 Feb 2008, 23:26 (Ref:2134604)   #24
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's number 7 for me this type round. If its your 1st time or 20th time do come along to 10ths meeting in the village on Saturday lunchtime as Pascal says its a great event and also nice to put name to faces. Full details of when where will be confirmed about a month before the race.
Old 21 Feb 2008, 23:43 (Ref:2134613)   #25
porsche45
Racer

United States
porsche45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first was last year, after wanting to go for many, many years. Well worth the trip. Won't make this year, but will in 2009, already planning.