Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 17 Jun 2019, 10:53 (Ref:3912401)   #1876
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The fact is Le Mans is a test of endurance of man and machine. If a car in front has a problem with a car or a tyre, then it's hard for them, but then that's a part of Le Mans, who can run the smoothest and quickest to the chequered flag
Old 17 Jun 2019, 11:02 (Ref:3912404)   #1877
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I really enjoyed the race as a whole.

Losing the win for #7 was unfortunate, it would have seemed "more fair" to have them win, since in my eyes they deserved it more than the #8.

However, I think it would have been wrong for Toyota to switch the #7 and #8 around, becaue that for certain would have been a manipulated / staged / team-ordered win.

I don't believe the conspiracy theories that Toyota wanted the #8 to win over the #7. If they really wanted that there would have been much better ways to achieve that without the obvious heartbreak for the #7 crew. Neither Vasselon nor Leupen are idiots, and would have thought out a much better and subtle way long before the race even started - IF the #8 was to win at all cost.

The #7 was the best team for about 22 and a half hours. Unfortunatly for them, the race lasts 24 hours, and during the last 90 minutes they made several errors.

I think the person responsible for placing the sensors or reading the sensors (it's a bit uncear exactly what went wrong) as well as the person deciding to only replace 1 tire will not have slept well.
The same may be true for the team manager of #7 for not overruling the decison to only change that one tire, and maybe some of the general Team Management (Leupen/ Vasselon/some other) as well, if they feel they could and should have overruled that decision.

I'm happy for SMP & AER for the result they got. The car is fast, very fast for a private LMP1but has been involved in incidents too frequently. At least the #11 had a near troublefree run this time around.
I think both Rebellion would have been up there as well, and maybe even in fron of the #11, but the reliaility wasn't there this time, and they had too many errors.

Not a classic Le Mans maybe, but one I enjoyed very much
Old 17 Jun 2019, 11:41 (Ref:3912411)   #1878
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I don't believe the conspiracy theories that Toyota wanted the #8 to win over the #7. If they really wanted that there would have been much better ways to achieve that without the obvious heartbreak for the #7 crew. Neither Vasselon nor Leupen are idiots, and would have thought out a much better and subtle way long before the race even started - IF the #8 was to win at all cost.
I agree. In fact it would arguably have been a better story for Toyota if the #7 team had won:

There wouldn't have been the subdued podium ceremony.
The subsequent discussion would have been about the winners not the losers.
No cynicism (however unfounded) about favouring Alonso.
They would have delivered two different winning teams in two years (including two Japanese winners).
Old 17 Jun 2019, 11:43 (Ref:3912412)   #1879
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I really enjoyed the race as a whole.

Losing the win for #7 was unfortunate, it would have seemed "more fair" to have them win, since in my eyes they deserved it more than the #8.

However, I think it would have been wrong for Toyota to switch the #7 and #8 around, becaue that for certain would have been a manipulated / staged / team-ordered win.

The #7 was the best team for about 22 and a half hours. Unfortunatly for them, the race lasts 24 hours, and during the last 90 minutes they made several errors.

I think the person responsible for placing the sensors or reading the sensors (it's a bit uncear exactly what went wrong) as well as the person deciding to only replace 1 tire will not have slept well.
The same may be true for the team manager of #7 for not overruling the decison to only change that one tire, and maybe some of the general Team Management (Leupen/ Vasselon/some other) as well, if they feel they could and should have overruled that decision.

I'm happy for SMP & AER for the result they got. The car is fast, very fast for a private LMP1but has been involved in incidents too frequently. At least the #11 had a near troublefree run this time around.
I think both Rebellion would have been up there as well, and maybe even in fron of the #11, but the reliaility wasn't there this time, and they had too many errors.

Not a classic Le Mans maybe, but one I enjoyed very much
Exactly that regarding the #7, sensors fail and the team has to react. Their reaction was to not cover their bases and change all 4 but rather take 1. I'm assuming they still had a full set left to use and didn't just have the extra puncture replacement tires so they could change all 4. If they had done as Audi and Porsche have in the past then they would have still been ahead with fresh tires and could have easily covered any moves from the 8. Ending with Lopez seems like a poor choice as well when you have Conway on the team

Not every LM can be a classic, otherwise that claim would lose all meaning. Enjoy the race for what it is and the endurance to get any cars 24 hours at this pace.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 13:01 (Ref:3912422)   #1880
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I also see Lopez as the weakest of the 3 drivers on the #7, however I think his last stint was imo his least unimpressive. He didn't do much wrong and everything that went wrong was none of his fault.
They could have changed Lopez to Conway but probably not at the first puncture: if all went right there, Lopez would have brought it home, and there was too much panic already. Maybe putting Conway in would have been too short a call anyway at that time?
For the second puncture they had 4-5 minutes, so could get Conway ready if they wanted.
However I doubt it would have made any difference at all. Conway couldn't have done much more than Lopez already did. Maybe the gap would have been a few seconds closer but not 20.

I feared Lopez was going to bin it, but ultimatly he didn't. Given the circumstances I think he did well on his last stint.

Last edited by gert; 17 Jun 2019 at 13:26.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 13:32 (Ref:3912429)   #1881
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was thinking Conway to finish as an overall prerace plan, not as a reaction to the puncture. I would want the driver in, or ready to jump in if needed at the end.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 16:22 (Ref:3912461)   #1882
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Toyota explains why it didn't change all #7 car's tyres
https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/ne...lopez/4475892/
Old 17 Jun 2019, 16:35 (Ref:3912462)   #1883
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's an anecdote. Russian company has ordered some electronics from different countries and asked a "failure rate" not more than 10 units from 1000. French company said that they have "fr" at that level. Germany company said that they have usually 5 units from 1000. Japanese had send 1000 working units and a special parcel with 10 broken with a note "We do not know why do you need then but still we've sent it".
I mean, it's not the first time "a sensor" steals the victory from a certain trio.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 17:10 (Ref:3912468)   #1884
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
About the #7 I think aside the sensor issue, the car had bad luck with the SCs periods. Every time a SC was released the #7 had a entire minute of gap to the #8 that went lost.

If they could had been able to put a lap over the #8 the race would have been won.

I don't think that giving the lead back from the #8 to the #7 on the last hour would had been a fair thing.

Lopez performance I think wasn't his best, but I think it wasn't bad. There were lot of interviews from argentina's media before and while the race, and I'm noted him stressed or feeling the pressure.

It's been a new drama for Toyota, the idea to make the #7 win the race and the #8 get the championship I think it could be the best scenario.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 17:28 (Ref:3912472)   #1885
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lopez comments after the race

Original in Spanish
Quote:
“Cuesta entender esto, es una carrera cruel, me cuesta entender qué paso. Dejamos un juego nuevo para el último para no arriesgar, yo me detuve, cambiamos y puse la goma nueva, hice media vuelta y en el display me aparece que tengo una pinchadura. Llego a boxes, me cambian la goma y salgo con otra pinchadura, me cambiaron la goma equivocada”.

Cuando vuelvo a salir, el coche me seguÃ*a diciendo que habÃ*a un pinchazo, me dijeron que se iba a resetear el sensor, pero al llegar a la curva 1 me di cuenta de que habÃ*a algo mal y la presión de goma bajó mucho. Cuando baja de los 0,5 bar tienes que ir a 50 km/h porque si no explota. AsÃ* que una vuelta de 13.6 km a 50 km/h es interminable”.

“En este momento me cuesta entender por que no cambiaron las 4 gomas”.

No saco ninguna conclusión, me da mucha bronca. Trabajé para esta carrera este año, entrené como nunca, analicé como nunca, repasé los errores del año pasado para que no se repitieran. Y la cosa estaba saliendo muy bien. Mike, Kamui y yo hicimos un trabajo sensacional cada vez que subÃ*amos al coche. Hasta que logramos esos dos minutos de diferencia”.

“Estaba feliz de subir al coche y terminar la carrera. Pero la sensación de estar ahÃ* cuando todo pasó es inexplicable”.

Ante un posible comentario de que Toyota favoreciera al #8 en la parte final para permitir su triunfo, el argentino prefiere no considerar esa opción. “No me gusta pensar asÃ*, porque si no te volverÃ*as loco. Pienso que las cosas se dan. Si lo hubo o no, ellos sabrán, pero no creo”.
Translated
Quote:
"It's hard to understand this, it's a cruel race, it's hard for me to understand what happened. We left a new set of tires for the end to not risk, I stopped, we changed and put the new tires, I made a half turn and on the display it appears that I have a puncture. I get to the pits, they change the tire and I go out with another puncture, they changed the wrong tire. "

When I go back out, the car kept telling me that there was a puncture, they told me that the sensor was going to be reset, but when I arrived at turn 1 I realized that something was wrong and the tire pressure dropped a lot. When it goes below 0.5 bar you have to go to 50 km / h because if it does not explode. So a lap of 13.6 km at 50 km / h is endless. "

"At this moment it's hard for me to understand why the 4 tires did not change."

I do not draw any conclusion, it gives me a lot of anger. I worked for this race this year, I trained like never before, I analyzed like never before, I reviewed the mistakes of the last year so that they did not repeat themselves. And the thing was going very well. Mike, Kamui and I did a great job every time we got in the car. Until we achieved those two minutes of difference. "

"I was happy to get in the car and finish the race. But the feeling of being there when everything happened is inexplicable. "

Before a possible comment that Toyota favored # 8 in the final part to allow his victory, the Argentine prefers not to consider that option. "I do not like to think like that, because otherwise you would go crazy. I think things happen. If there was or not, they will know, but I do not believe. "
Old 17 Jun 2019, 18:20 (Ref:3912478)   #1886
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Pruett reporting that GTE Am results are still provisional as the ACO are debating on whether or not to penalize an as of yet unnamed team for a possible fuel capacity violation.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 18:30 (Ref:3912484)   #1887
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Pruett reporting that GTE Am results are still provisional as the ACO are debating on whether or not to penalize an as of yet unnamed team for a possible fuel capacity violation.
Uh-oh..this has to be the Keating Ford.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 18:34 (Ref:3912488)   #1888
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Either Keating or Project 1. I don't think that Pruett would mention this if there wasn't a US/IMSA interest in it. Both Keating and Lindsey are regular IMSA competitors.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 18:46 (Ref:3912491)   #1889
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Either Keating or Project 1. I don't think that Pruett would mention this if there wasn't a US/IMSA interest in it. Both Keating and Lindsey are regular IMSA competitors.
Yup, cause he hasn't ever reported on other racing activities at all.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 18:50 (Ref:3912496)   #1890
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Pending appeals, Keating Ford penalized. DQ'd for fuel capacity irregularity.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 18:52 (Ref:3912497)   #1891
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That is a very political correct answer from Lopez.
Hmmm, I hope it was just a stupid mistake/ fault from the team. We will never know for sure.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 19:02 (Ref:3912500)   #1892
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
#68 Ford in GTE Pro penalized/DQ'd for oversized fuel tank per SC365.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 19:14 (Ref:3912503)   #1893
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
#68 Ford in GTE Pro penalized/DQ'd for oversized fuel tank per SC365.
This wss the 4th place car. Prepped in US, as wss Keeting car. But all the Fords would likely be identical(?)...
Old 17 Jun 2019, 19:24 (Ref:3912505)   #1894
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Pending appeals, Keating Ford penalized. DQ'd for fuel capacity irregularity.
The only source I've found for that was a random tweet which said 0.83 over the capacity. That's what the 68 Ford was over by. Is there not a mix-up between Fords here?
Old 17 Jun 2019, 19:24 (Ref:3912506)   #1895
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
This wss the 4th place car. Prepped in US, as wss Keeting car. But all the Fords would likely be identical(?)...
Sounds like we need to DQ and ban them all

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 17 Jun 2019 at 19:47. Reason: DQ not Q :doh:
Old 17 Jun 2019, 19:29 (Ref:3912509)   #1896
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Now I can't find anything other than a FB message by Marshall Pruett regarding a possible penalty for the #85. For sure the #68 has been penalized.

Endurance Info also had an article up regarding possible DQ for the 85, but now that's a dead link.

At least one other car might get DQ'd per SC365 for a similar infringement.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 19:39 (Ref:3912511)   #1897
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
This is silly fords DQ a day after the race, what a farce
Old 17 Jun 2019, 19:54 (Ref:3912514)   #1898
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
This is silly fords DQ a day after the race, what a farce

I agree. After a normal WEC race, we find out about such penalties hours, as in low single digits, afterwards. Not a day in a half later.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 20:19 (Ref:3912518)   #1899
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Racer Magazine article:

https://racer.com/2019/06/17/no-68-f...QkW2omW10A4HAY
Old 17 Jun 2019, 20:20 (Ref:3912519)   #1900
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
What was that saying about conspiracy theories?