Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 31 May 2007, 18:01 (Ref:1925565)   #851
Number7
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
Number7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Giant Screen at Arnage would be great. It is our favourite place between 01.00 and 04.00. Last year there was a lot of traffic and we did not get there until 02.00. There is a lot of action out there at night.
Old 31 May 2007, 18:13 (Ref:1925572)   #852
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner
You can buy admission tickets on the day though cant you? But you cant park on the day?

How long does it take to get down from, say, calais? I need to try and work out what times to check for ferrys/tunnel.

Cheers
General admission tickets (encientes generales) are freely available all race week and weekend. So don't get fleeced by the touts on eBay! (See my home page )

I dare say you can still buy car parking tickets on the day if you're there early enough. Back in the late 80s/early 90s we never used to get there until about 2 hours before the start and had no touble getting rouge car park tickets. But I fear those days are gone. With the advent of the internet, more people are buying all their tickets in advance.

No idea about travelling time from Calais, I'm afraid. Not a trip I've ever had to make.
Old 31 May 2007, 18:48 (Ref:1925593)   #853
Lusitano
Racer

Portugal
Barcelona
Lusitano should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My sister is coming along for her first time. She is very excited about it, but I am afraid that she will be very tired. Is there any chance that I might find a room in Le Mans?
Old 31 May 2007, 19:01 (Ref:1925600)   #854
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You can buy admission tickets on the day though cant you? But you cant park on the day?

How long does it take to get down from, say, calais? I need to try and work out what times to check for ferrys/tunnel.

Cheers
Last year we was directed to a car park near the Porsche curves, that was at around midday, you then have to walk back around 15 mins to the main entrance, unless you want to watch the start from the curves.

We tow a caravan down to a camp site which is south west of Le Mans, around 10 miles away and that takes around 5 hours from Calais, so if you are not towing I would guess you could probably hit Le Mans in around 4 hours. The roads are like nothing you see here, they are clear, free of roadworks and we only managed to see the odd couple of speed cameras.

The ferry will probably be your problem as they are more than likely fully booked by now, don't waste any more time spanner, book book book !
Old 31 May 2007, 19:41 (Ref:1925622)   #855
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano
My sister is coming along for her first time. She is very excited about it, but I am afraid that she will be very tired. Is there any chance that I might find a room in Le Mans?
I strongly suspect you're all out of luck re accommodation in Le Mans itself, but I had no problem getting a room in Tours this time last week. The Le Mans tourism website (www.lemanstoursime.com) is also offering accommodation with local families if you're willing to give that a go.

Hope you get along okay. To be honest, knowing I'll have to be back at work at silly-o'clock on Monday morning means I'm really quite looking forward to a few hours of comfort on Saturday night, and thus can identify with your sister!
Old 31 May 2007, 20:50 (Ref:1925663)   #856
Lusitano
Racer

Portugal
Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge
I strongly suspect you're all out of luck re accommodation in Le Mans itself, but I had no problem getting a room in Tours this time last week. The Le Mans tourism website (www.lemanstoursime.com) is also offering accommodation with local families if you're willing to give that a go.

Hope you get along okay. To be honest, knowing I'll have to be back at work at silly-o'clock on Monday morning means I'm really quite looking forward to a few hours of comfort on Saturday night, and thus can identify with your sister!
Thanks, isynge! That sounds good! I will look into it.

I have family in Chartres, so if the train schedules cooperate, !
Old 31 May 2007, 22:11 (Ref:1925729)   #857
spectre200
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedford, UK
spectre200 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Cheers
Last year was the last year I'm ever taking chances on parking. I was one of the first in the queue when the ticket office opened at 08:00 Friday, and they were already out. The only place I could get one was from some bloke selling them at the entrance of Expo Aerodrome. Apparently they didn't sell these through the office, only from the bloke, so maybe that's why they were still available.

It usually takes me about 6 hours from Calais to Le Mans, allowing for a break or two and taking it easy.
Old 31 May 2007, 23:37 (Ref:1925781)   #858
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano
Thanks, isynge! That sounds good! I will look into it.

I have family in Chartres, so if the train schedules cooperate, !
No worries re advice -I'm just pleased to be able to help for once in a while! And I'm sure if you bring some of your hometown's eponymous dew to Le Sarthe I'm pretty sure all will be forgotten pretty quickly!

Having had a quick look at train timetables (die bahn is about as good as they come) I suspect Chartres by rail might be a touch demanding. France's rail system is depressingly radial out of Paris, so often you might well end up being quicker looking quite a long way further afield in terms of distance but coming out ahead in time terms.

Good luck either way!
Old 1 Jun 2007, 06:45 (Ref:1925913)   #859
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Cheers
Hi Spanner

Good to hear you are planning to return to Le mans!

As everyone else has said you can by your entrance ticket on the gate.

As an alternative to a parking pass you can get a camping pass for the Basejour site for about £30 over on Club Arnage. It will be a little full by the time you arrive! but I am sure you would be able to squeeze in somewhere.

The drive should take you about 4 hours to Le man, but I would expect heavey traffic around the track area on Saturday.
Old 1 Jun 2007, 07:08 (Ref:1925931)   #860
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre200
only place I could get one was from some bloke selling them at the entrance of Expo Aerodrome. Apparently they didn't sell these through the office, only from the bloke, so maybe that's why they were still available.

For years we always bought our car park tickets this way. On the main road down to the right-hander which runs alongside the track from Dunlop to Tertre Rouge. There always used to be car park tickets on sale there. A thing of the past perhaps?
Old 1 Jun 2007, 07:23 (Ref:1925941)   #861
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I think it is good advice to get a beusejour camping ticket they seem to be cheap and in plentiful supply even on " E Bay", but the ferries/tunnel may be a problem, you may have to travel out with one company and back on another, Calais to Le mans is about 4 hours non stop and perhaps 5 hours back, so don't book a ferry back before 11.00 pm. I know speedferries still have space on the 11.55pm Sunday night at about £38. Check the websites as soon as possible. It may be better to travel down on friday night, sleep in the campsite on saturday morning and then you can make to meeting at 11.30 saturday.
Old 1 Jun 2007, 09:29 (Ref:1926053)   #862
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
£38? That's pretty cheap.....
Old 1 Jun 2007, 09:42 (Ref:1926071)   #863
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are crossings back as well on the Monday at 9pm, called Freedom? [Think that's what's on confirmation]. Not sure on cost but that's when we're coming back...
Old 1 Jun 2007, 16:44 (Ref:1926377)   #864
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like supermarkets selling christmas decorations, it gets earlier every year:

Radio Le Mans is now on air on 91.2fm
Old 1 Jun 2007, 20:16 (Ref:1926494)   #865
Lusitano
Racer

Portugal
Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge
No worries re advice -I'm just pleased to be able to help for once in a while! And I'm sure if you bring some of your hometown's eponymous dew to Le Sarthe I'm pretty sure all will be forgotten pretty quickly!

Having had a quick look at train timetables (die bahn is about as good as they come) I suspect Chartres by rail might be a touch demanding. France's rail system is depressingly radial out of Paris, so often you might well end up being quicker looking quite a long way further afield in terms of distance but coming out ahead in time terms.

Good luck either way!
Ah, the great Tullamore DEW!!!

I just checked the times, and as I suspected, the are not very cooperative.

Anyway, the fourth member of our party seems to be making progress on making his way to Paris.

I have a feeling this will be a fantastic edition! I am an VAG man, but there is a certain person on one of the Peugeots that is dividing my heart.
Old 3 Jun 2007, 19:46 (Ref:1927840)   #866
Martin Bull
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Martin Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello everyone - rookie here....

I'm off to Le Mans this year for the first time in quite a while - 1980/81/82/83 to be precise - so I'm guessing things may have changed a little around the old place.

You have a very good forum here and I've been soaking up the advice ( I couldn't believe you have to pre-book parking ; in those days I just used to roll up on race morning, ask for 'Garage Bleu du Maison Blanche' and Bob was your proverbial....)
Old 3 Jun 2007, 21:01 (Ref:1927897)   #867
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Weather / Météo

NO RAIN for wednesday, thursday and the race.
The week-end will be cloudy but dry, good temperatures (16°C to 25°C). I point out that this forecasting is not official.

You are welcome Martin !

Last edited by PascaLM; 3 Jun 2007 at 21:03.
Old 3 Jun 2007, 21:12 (Ref:1927904)   #868
Martin Bull
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Martin Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Thanks for the welcome, Pascal - and for the optimistic weather forecast...!
Old 4 Jun 2007, 12:38 (Ref:1928412)   #869
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Pascal is only sayiong what we all know already of course........

Aren't you Pascal?
Old 4 Jun 2007, 16:31 (Ref:1928575)   #870
porsche45
Racer

United States
porsche45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bull
Hello everyone - rookie here....

I'm off to Le Mans this year for the first time in quite a while - 1980/81/82/83 to be precise - so I'm guessing things may have changed a little around the old place.

You have a very good forum here and I've been soaking up the advice ( I couldn't believe you have to pre-book parking ; in those days I just used to roll up on race morning, ask for 'Garage Bleu du Maison Blanche' and Bob was your proverbial....)
As well for me. My first in about 30 years of wanting to go. Luckily hooked up with some folks that have been going for 25+ years.
Thanks to all for sharing advice, and tips on this thread as well as the 10/10ths meeting thread and PM's. Very, very informative.
See you in Le Mans. CHEERS!
Old 4 Jun 2007, 17:20 (Ref:1928608)   #871
Austinspace75
Racer

England
Cardiff
Austinspace75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre200
Last year was the last year I'm ever taking chances on parking. I was one of the first in the queue when the ticket office opened at 08:00 Friday, and they were already out. The only place I could get one was from some bloke selling them at the entrance of Expo Aerodrome. Apparently they didn't sell these through the office, only from the bloke, so maybe that's why they were still available.

It usually takes me about 6 hours from Calais to Le Mans, allowing for a break or two and taking it easy.
Surprised to hear that as we didn't arrive at the circuit until late Friday morning and bought our bleu parking ticket over the counter in the 'rotonde'...
Old 4 Jun 2007, 18:10 (Ref:1928658)   #872
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Pascal is only sayiong what we all know already of course........

Aren't you Pascal?
Please, refresh the link in my post ; you will see that the weater will be uncertain...
Old 4 Jun 2007, 18:33 (Ref:1928684)   #873
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard b
well, if they don't know where to put them, I'll suggest inside Tertre rouge lay by

seriously, Porsche, Arnage and Mulsanne should have one each
I'm pretty sure that one will fit in the Village main square, as Ayse said above
another one in the north of the village (where we find drinks )would be nice too
oh, and one for sure is in the ACO members welcome (old museum)
Found this:

- 1 screen at the Tertre Rouge
- 1 screen at the La Chapelle
- 4 screens straight line of the box
- 1 screen Place centrale du village Totem Audi
- 1 screen at the entrance of the Dunlop’s curve
- 1 screen at Arnage
- 1 screen at the general reception of La Rothonde

http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans...ecrans_gb.html

Say, when are the roads opened and closed? I'd hope to get at least one drive on the public part of the circuit prior to the race...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 4 Jun 2007, 18:43 (Ref:1928693)   #874
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Say, when are the roads opened and closed? I'd hope to get at least one drive on the public part of the circuit prior to the race...
There are two roundabouts in the Hunaudières now. The only part remaining intact goes from Mulsanne corner to Porsche curve.
Old 4 Jun 2007, 19:31 (Ref:1928720)   #875
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not looking to challenge the WM's record!

I just want to be able to drive from Tertre Rouge to Arnage or Maison Blanche in one go.

Last time I was in the area (spring of 2003) I missed les Hunadieres 'cause I missed the exit off A28 at D314/Route de Paris and we had to go all the way to N138 well south of Mulsanne; I had a six month old in the back, so was pressed for time, and chose to drive to the museum via Maison Blanche instead of driving Les Hunadieres. I'm pretty sure the exit off A28 at D304/Av Abel Tirand didn't exist then...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James