Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 19 Jun 2007, 14:34 (Ref:1941720)   #1026
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
We had lots of fun, particularly with our quarter-sized Jaguar D-Type and it's little engine (3.5bhp, it managed 40mph!) going around Houx Annexe!
Arh so that was you then, it passed us a few times, it was a quick little thing.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 14:39 (Ref:1941723)   #1027
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw that little Jag too. It was everywhere at once on Friday!
Old 19 Jun 2007, 20:13 (Ref:1941998)   #1028
Lusitano
Racer

Portugal
Barcelona
Lusitano should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge
Surely surely surely you know the rule in life that the bar/restaurant nearest the station is always the worst one in town...

Sorry to hear about the food poisoning though. While we didn't have those sort of catastrophic consequences we resolved that next year we'd be a lot more self catering and bring more of our own. Good luck with the sardines though - my experience is they're best cooked on the boat back from catching them!
You are right. Unfortunately, our brains stopped working at that moment, as we were rushing to get to the track to get a good spot.

Self-catering is definitely the way to go! Hopefully, if the ideas we kicked about this weekend materialize, next year will be fantastic! The sardines reference was merely a joke, since I am Portuguese, but we will keep an eye out for the good stuff.

Another disappointment was the amount of litter found throughout the track. One could barely find a space to sit/lay down that did not have some sort of trash on it. Yeah, sure, when one is drunk some of one's best judgement is gone, but I doubt that everyone that left some trash behind was drunk. It does not take much to dispose of trash properly, and it goes such a long way.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 20:29 (Ref:1942020)   #1029
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano
Another disappointment was the amount of litter found throughout the track. One could barely find a space to sit/lay down that did not have some sort of trash on it. Yeah, sure, when one is drunk some of one's best judgement is gone, but I doubt that everyone that left some trash behind was drunk. It does not take much to dispose of trash properly, and it goes such a long way.
Actually, I found there was a paucity of trash receptacles. I spent a lot of time carting my (group's) trash before locating the appropriate disposal points - and oftentimes they were full... I didn't see a single one near the berms at Mulsanne or Arnage, or at the infield berm at Tertre Rouge (where the worst trash was).
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 19 Jun 2007, 20:43 (Ref:1942032)   #1030
Lusitano
Racer

Portugal
Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Actually, I found there was a paucity of trash receptacles. I spent a lot of time carting my (group's) trash before locating the appropriate disposal points - and oftentimes they were full... I didn't see a single one near the berms at Mulsanne or Arnage, or at the infield berm at Tertre Rouge (where the worst trash was).
Tertre Rouge was where I was at as well for the beginning of the race. At around 19:00, that place just looked ****ty.

The disposal points were scarce, I have to agree. Should that not be part of the "health and safety" of the spectactors concern on the part of ACO?
Old 19 Jun 2007, 20:47 (Ref:1942036)   #1031
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There was a lot of litter, although I thought less than normal. Bins where being emptied; I saw a refuse vehicle doing the rounds near the Esses (and I guess elsewhere). It might not have been up at Tetre Rouge though. I also thought that there were more bins in the cars parks too (at least in Blanc).
Old 20 Jun 2007, 00:15 (Ref:1942155)   #1032
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
Arh so that was you then, it passed us a few times, it was a quick little thing.
I sadly couldn't fit in the seat to do any driving, but apparently it was lots of fun. Sounded great, I thought!
Old 20 Jun 2007, 01:01 (Ref:1942168)   #1033
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The lack of waste bins really should be addressed, there were bottles being broken an hour after the start on the concrete terracing opposite the pits, due to people tripping over them. I noticed on Sunday the amount of rubbish collected at the bottom of the banking before the Ford chicane was appalling. Just a few bins along by the fencing would help aleviate the problem. Also the lack of toilets continues behind the start grandstands, although it is much better in the village area.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 13:03 (Ref:1942517)   #1034
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
250952 people attended according to the ACO - I thought it felt busy this year.
I thought the village felt really "F1" in style and can't say it felt great.
My father (who came with me at the last minute after missing 3 years) said he actually liked the fact that parts of the spectator areas were covered in bottles etc as he said this felt more like "Le Mans".
Old 20 Jun 2007, 15:20 (Ref:1942596)   #1035
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it was a bit of a mess a few hours after the race had started but christ i had a fabulous time, i fell in love with the T2M dome mader, it was dog slow but made a great sound as did the kruse pescarolo judd and the zytek 07S2's.

a lot of it is a blur, drink did that, but my god the lemans magic got me at about 5 in the morning when i watched the sunrise at the porsche curve's with the noise of the pescarolo and charouz lola's blasting down the straight.

all i can say is the ACO will have me as another visiter next year, you can count on that!
Old 20 Jun 2007, 15:25 (Ref:1942601)   #1036
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
...but my god the lemans magic got me at about 5 in the morning when i watched the sunrise at the porsche curve's with the noise of the pescarolo and charouz lola's blasting down the straight...
You have felt the essential, all other things and comments around are useless.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 15:41 (Ref:1942612)   #1037
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At 5am I was freezing my balls off in the tribune. I couldn't belive how cold it was up there! So then I went for a slow walk along the outside of the track up towards the Dunlop bridge to warm myself up.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 18:33 (Ref:1942778)   #1038
Lusitano
Racer

Portugal
Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real DMN
At 5am I was freezing my balls off in the tribune. I couldn't belive how cold it was up there! So then I went for a slow walk along the outside of the track up towards the Dunlop bridge to warm myself up.
Yeah, a bit more humid and colder than last year.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 08:23 (Ref:1943145)   #1039
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought it seemed busier than last year, but the traffic control before race day didn't seem as efficient - having struggled and taken ages to get in all week, race day we came through Arnage and got in quickly and without too much hassle. The night did seem very cold compared to last year too....

I watched the start from the esses this year which wasn't bad to see them coming down the hill and off to Tertre Rouge, and the big screen was good. Shame all the trees at Tertre Rouge have come down though....
Old 21 Jun 2007, 15:53 (Ref:1943470)   #1040
Lloyd87
Rookie

Italy
Naples (IT)
Lloyd87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
which was the top speed recorded in this edition ?
Old 21 Jun 2007, 16:06 (Ref:1943478)   #1041
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimage
I thought the village felt really "F1" in style and can't say it felt great.
I agree that they've totally ruined the village. It's changed from BEING a village to a nasty concrete shopping mall with all the charm of an Albanian industrial estate! Reminds me of the saying "If it ain't broke, let's fix it until it is!"
....but there's still nowhere I'd rather be in the middle of June
Old 23 Jun 2007, 22:44 (Ref:1945170)   #1042
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have a couple of vids online now on YouTube, including this little piece of footage of the D-Type:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwupBdP50No

There's more to come yet...
Old 23 Jun 2007, 23:48 (Ref:1945187)   #1043
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Love the D-Type Bob ..... whats the plan for next year , a 1/8 scale Lambo ?

Gotta laugh at the folk in the camps ..... there was a band in Houx , 4 of'em , called themselves "Intents" !!!
Old 24 Jun 2007, 11:25 (Ref:1945448)   #1044
J.J.S.S.Express
Rookie

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
J.J.S.S.Express should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Hy everybody

I have finish my Le Mans 2007 gallery !

FDLMotorsports Gallery

Old 24 Jun 2007, 14:26 (Ref:1945532)   #1045
Lusitano
Racer

Portugal
Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J.S.S.Express
Hy everybody

I have finish my Le Mans 2007 gallery !

FDLMotorsports Gallery

Fantastic photos!
I also like the more artistic ones!
Old 24 Jun 2007, 15:14 (Ref:1945550)   #1046
Austinspace75
Racer

England
Cardiff
Austinspace75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just got back today.

A couple of things I'm interested to see whether anyone else noticed:

Firstly, anyone else notice the plumes of smoke billowing from the #1 (winning) Audi in the last hour or so? It looked pretty serious!! we were at Arnage during the last period of the race and it was quite noticable. It started doing it during the last safety car period (which is another interesting disussion to be had at some point) but neither Audi nor RLM picked up on it. I'm pretty sure that if Audi had known it was doing it, they'd have pitted. Clearly nothing showed up on their telemetry..... but for a while it looked like it might peter out on the last lap! I think Peugeot may have come alot closer to winning than is realised.

Secondly, anyone else notice just how much quieter the cars are? (new noise limits imposed)... last year you couldn't hear yourself think with the din. This year you could have quite a normal conversation with the person standing next to you!... its a bit of a shame I think. I loved the massive noise they used to make. I think its partly because the Porsche 997 is ALOT quieter than the old 996 (which was fantastically loud) and of course having more diesels doesn't help either.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 10:16 (Ref:1946162)   #1047
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've posted some of my Le Mans pictures on the LM thread on the msport art and photography forum if anyones interested.

But yeah Austinspace i agree on the noise totally...the old Porsches used to make your ears go all funny as they came along, and i don't know what Peugeot did to their car between their Paul Ricard test and the race...but their car is actually quieter than the Audi if thats possible!
Old 25 Jun 2007, 15:27 (Ref:1946399)   #1048
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinspace75
Just got back today.

A couple of things I'm interested to see whether anyone else noticed:

Firstly, anyone else notice the plumes of smoke billowing from the #1 (winning) Audi in the last hour or so? It looked pretty serious!! we were at Arnage during the last period of the race and it was quite noticable. It started doing it during the last safety car period (which is another interesting disussion to be had at some point) but neither Audi nor RLM picked up on it. I'm pretty sure that if Audi had known it was doing it, they'd have pitted. Clearly nothing showed up on their telemetry..... but for a while it looked like it might peter out on the last lap! I think Peugeot may have come alot closer to winning than is realised.

Secondly, anyone else notice just how much quieter the cars are? (new noise limits imposed)... last year you couldn't hear yourself think with the din. This year you could have quite a normal conversation with the person standing next to you!... its a bit of a shame I think. I loved the massive noise they used to make. I think its partly because the Porsche 997 is ALOT quieter than the old 996 (which was fantastically loud) and of course having more diesels doesn't help either.
Yes - a lot quieter apart from on start straight where there was echo - and no i don't like it.
Audi smoked quite a bit in front of us at Ford Chicane. It was suggested that it might have been the cold rain water evaporating off the turbo? -but i'm not so sure - after the safety car went off (or if the Audi "booted it" behind it) a cloud of diesel appeared to come out too - but i don;t think these two were related.
RLM did mention briefly I think.

I was surprised at how "vunerable" the R10's felt this year.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 15:51 (Ref:1946415)   #1049
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
I sadly couldn't fit in the seat to do any driving, but apparently it was lots of fun. Sounded great, I thought!

Fun it may have been, but more than one person remarked that a busy campsite is not the place to be playing silly buggers.

The thought of it hitting a car or worse a person does not really bear thinking about.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 15:56 (Ref:1946423)   #1050
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
I agree that they've totally ruined the village. It's changed from BEING a village to a nasty concrete shopping mall with all the charm of an Albanian industrial estate! Reminds me of the saying "If it ain't broke, let's fix it until it is!"
....but there's still nowhere I'd rather be in the middle of June
Sadly it had fallen into such a state that I don't think they was any option but to rip it down and start again.

It may not be to everyones taste but at least the loos are plentyful!

The shops still sell the same rubbish.