Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Feb 2010, 15:33 (Ref:2640978)   #1
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
888 Switch - success?

3 races in and the on-track success of 888's brand switch is undeniable.

However....

888 would have been hoping that their Ford fans would follow them across, and that Holden fans would welcome them aboard. Discussions that I have had with a range of other V8 fans, from both sides of the fence, have indicated that at this stage neither has happened. There appears, instead, to be (almost) universal loathing of them. I suspect that the immediate success on track - the fact that they have adapted so easily, and have not had any apparent problems or teething difficulties, may have actually worked against them. There is no sense of the Aussie Battler there. The whinging wouldn't be helping, either.

Would they have been hoping for instant fan support? Or would they have expected it to take a while for people to come around? I guess the Ford fans are unlikely to regain their former love over time. Or is there still some grudging respect from the Ford fans for the fact that even though they are winning, at least they aren't a "proper" Holden team (insert standard Stelthy-style argument here as defence of that statement)?

What are the thoughts of others out there on this? I am sure that there are Ford fans out there who still support them, and there will be Holden fans out there who have embraced them. Is anyone able to articulate an explanation for any of this?
Old 26 Feb 2010, 18:21 (Ref:2641060)   #2
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it was a proper brand change, then maybe threads like this would have merrit. There isn't much difference between the cars (thanks blueprint).

Also i'm not a fan of any 'favourites', so i'll never support them. Still PMM and DJR for me!
Old 26 Feb 2010, 20:25 (Ref:2641131)   #3
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm still a fan, just not as much given they no longer promote Ford.

The one thing that would dissapoint me most about their move would be to have an unwaivering arrogance toward their competitors as they can show that they are able to win by large margins in both makes of car.

A couple of incidents to bring them back to earth would help that, but I wouldnt want to wish bad luck on them as both drivers and the team seem to be working hard to achieve great results.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 20:50 (Ref:2641147)   #4
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The great thing for me is they make HRT and most of the other Holden teams look bad , new kid on the block wipes the floor with them.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 21:42 (Ref:2641171)   #5
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklegend View Post
A couple of incidents to bring them back to earth would help that, but I wouldnt want to wish bad luck on them as both drivers and the team seem to be working hard to achieve great results.
I assume you mean failures or driver errors etc, because being taken out in a crash wont change much.

They aren't perfect tho, pit exits come to mind (twice lowndes was released into other cars causing a penalty) so they aren't 'perfect'
Old 26 Feb 2010, 21:53 (Ref:2641178)   #6
craig1
Racer

craig1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe most Holden fans would be happy that it's a Holden winning at least, whether you call it actual support would be a personal view.

I just like to see them putting it to HRT as to me they still represent Holden. (any other Holden is just another race team, sort of like DJR will alway be The Ford team to me, call it old school)

Apart from being a supporter of a either driver, I don't think the team would get true brand support from race followers because they have stood on both sides, your either one or the other.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 22:13 (Ref:2641188)   #7
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
Apart from being a supporter of a either driver, I don't think the team would get true brand support from race followers because they have stood on both sides, your either one or the other.
Thats an opinion thing. I'm 50/50, i could easily buy a ford as opposed to a holden (mmmm typhoon) but that doesn't swap who i support. I've always supported DJR as i have alot of respect for him.

So i dont think its one of the other, maybe in production racing where the cars are road cars, but not in this category (and likewise F1)
Old 26 Feb 2010, 22:27 (Ref:2641196)   #8
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
888 is already a highly successful team. As mentioned before (many times), it doesn't really matter whether they have Ford or Holdens backing, the cars are pretty much all the same. This ongoing argument/discussion between Holden and Ford supporters just goes on and on. I support any team that operates in a highly professional manner. As far as the whinging comment is concerned, all the teams do it.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 22:30 (Ref:2641199)   #9
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
As far as the whinging comment is concerned, all the teams do it.
But some more than others....
Old 26 Feb 2010, 22:33 (Ref:2641202)   #10
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
yap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
But some more than others....
And I think if we ran a poll a certain team would be favourites to win
Old 26 Feb 2010, 23:40 (Ref:2641227)   #11
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
I loathe T888.......I ditched vodafone (doesn't hurt vodafone but makes me feel better)......after lowndes performance at the end of last year I now support Rick for denying him a championship and as lowndes drives for T888, I think of him as triple LLL (low life lowndes) as Ford did him one of the biggest favours of his career when they signed him and to treat them as he did when he left was disgraceful.......I urge all Ford supporters to ditch vodafone.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 23:48 (Ref:2641228)   #12
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
I loathe T888.......I ditched vodafone (doesn't hurt vodafone but makes me feel better)......after lowndes performance at the end of last year I now support Rick for denying him a championship and as lowndes drives for T888, I think of him as triple LLL (low life lowndes) as Ford did him one of the biggest favours of his career when they signed him and to treat them as he did when he left was disgraceful.......I urge all Ford supporters to ditch vodafone.
Feel free to explain 'what he did'.

Put yourself in his shoes, Stay with the best team in the sport, or move back to FPR that already did ****all for him.

This post is of course, playing along with the holden vs ford thing, in reality brand allegiance means **** (20 years ago maybe, but not in 2010)
Old 26 Feb 2010, 23:55 (Ref:2641232)   #13
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Feel free to explain 'what he did'.

Put yourself in his shoes, Stay with the best team in the sport, or move back to FPR that already did ****all for him.

This post is of course, playing along with the holden vs ford thing, in reality brand allegiance means **** (20 years ago maybe, but not in 2010)
I dislike "grubs" that take the money and then "put the boot in" when they leave.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 00:08 (Ref:2641241)   #14
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
I dislike "grubs" that take the money and then "put the boot in" when they leave.
You could say he did that when he first left holden. Expecting he wouldn't follow the money again is quite silly on your part....
Old 27 Feb 2010, 01:14 (Ref:2641255)   #15
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
You're kiddin' mate. So the blokes a grub, for staying at one of the most professional, successful sporting teams in the country. A lot of the stuff that Craig (and others) answers, is usually replies to carefully worded questions that are asked and guaranteed to get a response that the media outlet wants, and can then put their own negative spin on.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 01:32 (Ref:2641259)   #16
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
You could say he did that when he first left holden. Expecting he wouldn't follow the money again is quite silly on your part....
I expect him to follow the money, I would do the same, but to "put the boot in" as he left, after what they did for him......no way.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 01:35 (Ref:2641261)   #17
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
You're kiddin' mate. So the blokes a grub, for staying at one of the most professional, successful sporting teams in the country.
You show me the post where I said he was a grub for staying at T888.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 02:00 (Ref:2641269)   #18
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
Quote:
I loathe T888....... and as lowndes drives for T888, I think of him as triple LLL (low life lowndes)
Quote:
There you go!
Old 27 Feb 2010, 02:24 (Ref:2641271)   #19
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
There you go!
There you go nothing!.......Ford did him one of the biggest favours of his career by signing him and when it was over he kicks them in the guts as he leaves......grub act.......that's what I said. As far as T888 is concerned, they dumped people that supported them, what do they expect?
Old 27 Feb 2010, 02:29 (Ref:2641274)   #20
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Sounded more like you mean 'money hungry' than anything else.

Whats this putting the boot in?
Old 27 Feb 2010, 02:56 (Ref:2641280)   #21
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Sounded more like you mean 'money hungry' than anything else.

Whats this putting the boot in?
Those photos that were posted on this forum late last year with him holding number plates IH8FRD & FRDH8TR and I think he was still under contract to Ford.......maybe I have taken it too seriously but it left a nasty taste.....look I've said all I have to say on the issue and that's it from me.....enjoy your forum.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 04:58 (Ref:2641301)   #22
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Those photos that were posted on this forum late last year with him holding number plates IH8FRD & FRDH8TR and I think he was still under contract to Ford.......maybe I have taken it too seriously but it left a nasty taste.....look I've said all I have to say on the issue and that's it from me.....enjoy your forum.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 07:08 (Ref:2641315)   #23
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Quote:
The mighty giant Vodaphone must be shaking in their boots.
Suck it up and get over it, Princess.
Love it that RK is now your hero. Not so long ago he was the devil incarnate for denying gods-own-anointed lowndes a Championship. Now unbunch your panties and have a Bex and a good liedown.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 07:19 (Ref:2641317)   #24
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Quote:
There you go nothing!.......Ford did him one of the biggest favours of his career by signing him and when it was over he kicks them in the guts as he leaves......grub act.......that's what I said. As far as T888 is concerned, they dumped people that supported them, what do they expect?
Exactly how did Failure Of Research & Development do him "the biggest favor of his career???? By putting him in with 00 Motorsport/Gibson. That was an triumph. Not. Of the succession of engine failures he had with whoever dunga team he went to after that (the little engine that couldn't- and didn't). You need to face up to the truth . Until lowndes went to 888 we was going nowwhere- and not even quickly.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 07:22 (Ref:2641318)   #25
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must say I certainly enjoy 10Tenths...... will buy again, excellent seller A+++++