Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 27 Aug 2000, 05:29 (Ref:33009)   #1
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK, now for a dose of the sensationalist/macabre. Tell us about YOUR biggest shunt. At least we can be pretty sure it wasn't fatal. How did it happen, who's fault, how much damage etc.
Old 27 Aug 2000, 09:53 (Ref:33020)   #2
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
None..ahahaha.

Well I've had a spin or two in motorkhanas, with no damage, and just one spin on a hillclimb. Uneventful really, I caught it but let it run off the track anyway as I might have done damage to the car if I tried to keep going at speed.
Old 27 Aug 2000, 10:32 (Ref:33025)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would like to hear the story about David's Charger

Well i can safely say that I have never stacked it in competition...
Old 27 Aug 2000, 14:15 (Ref:33051)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I havent had any real big shunts but i have had at least 3 stacks that have rattled my cage a tad..the first was on the opening lap when the leader spun and everyone pilled into him..me included ..no injuries..the second was when the same guy again decided to spin in fromt of me when I was just an inch off of his rear end..and of course I panicked and went straight for the brakes and ploughed straight into him..and then the same guy again a few races later decided to do a Hakkinen (Hockenhiem 94) and spun across the pack I managed to avoid him this time but was on the grass and spun to try to wipe off some speed before launching out of a gravel trap and hitting a trye wall in mid flight at a decnt pace..hurting my toe

but the biggest that I have had was when at the start of a racewhen I was side by side with a guy who wanted my piece of track..pushed me onto the grass at about 110 kph (65mph)..I managed to hang onto it and eased back onto the track only to clip a piece of kurbing from another section of track we were not using..this sent me into a spin to my surprise no one hit me..but when i got out and looked around 7 other karts were also in the gravel trap and one upside down..all claimed they were avoiding me ..OPPS

no drivers were hurt in any of these shunts ..except my toe.
Old 28 Aug 2000, 22:04 (Ref:33484)   #5
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At about 140kph approaching the hairpin in my kart,i stand on the brakes and the pedal goes to the floor,the whole bracket holding the master cylinders snaps off (i blame the scrutineer)and i fly off the track spin a few times and stop,no damage,same track 3 weeks ago racing in the rain on slicks 150-160kph at the end of the main straight i hit a puddle where you turn in and lose it spin about 6 times and stop next to someone else who did the same thing only damage a crack in the bodywork.
Old 30 Aug 2000, 09:35 (Ref:33883)   #6
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
February 1990 i was racing my Series Production Valiant charger at Lakeside. It was the first time the HQs had turned out en masse, but with only 8 of them, they were put in our race. Immediatly my concerns re panel banging were realised. One in particular had hit me three times in earlier races that day, then in the handicap race i gridded up behind him and almost Liberace'd him when he stalled at the green light. A couple of laps later he lost it big time entering the Carrussell and spun across the infield before charging back onto the circuit at high speed in a thick cloud of dust. I couldn't see a bloody thing and hit him hard amidships. The worst moment was when I'm sitting there in a short wheelbase Charger, fluids leaking all over the road and I heard the starter motor whirring in the HQ and away he went. The funniest moment was a couple of seconds later, the corner marshall ran from his post, slipped on my coolant and fell on his backside next to my wrecked car. I then got out and asked HIM if HE was alright
Old 12 Sep 2000, 17:21 (Ref:36760)   #7
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never bruised anything but me ego, but I remember a guy I raced against at Nelson Ledges (Ohio). It was a combination Driver School and Regional Race. The kid (maybe 17 years old) was the fastest, wildest thing I'd ever encountered. He was blindingly fast but the marshals had to keep reminding him about things like yellow flags, and rules, other cars on the track, etc.

I dont know who cleared him to race in the Regional event, but he showed up on the grid. On an early lap, I recall seeing him charge into my mirrors, then fly around me in a turn where no sane person would pass. He made the turn then dissapeared around the next bend.

When I came around that bend, there he was, upside down in the middle of the track, all four wheels still spinning. No crash with anyone else, he just managed to flip over a low powered car with a very low cg all by himself. Most people couldnt do that if they tried!

He was ok, but if he's still racing, I hope it's on computer sims.
Old 13 Sep 2000, 05:53 (Ref:36883)   #8
SkyBiz
Rookie

SkyBiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One time I was racing at Newcastle(Australia) in a light\twilight kart meeting. It was 10 o'clock, freezing cold and after a full days racing I was pretty nackered.

In the pre-final I came out of the pits to start the warmup lap and when I came over the crest into the first corner I saw that I was going to hit a spun kart head-on. With not much time to react I tried to swerve but my left front hit his left front at about 70 km/h (wouldn't have a clue how many mph that is 30 maybe?). This launched me up over the left hand side of his kart, luckily not upside down, and I ended up landing, and spinning into the sandtrap.

I bent a stub axle, stripped the tie-rod, bent the steering column and I now have some tire-marks on the bottom of my kart. I didn't hurt myself except for a sore wrist from the jerk of the steering wheel when we collided.

Old 29 Nov 2000, 12:17 (Ref:50293)   #9
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Well I guess I've got an addition I can make to this thread now. Final round of this year's State Championship at Lakeside, last month. In Sunday morning's race I ground my brake pads down to the backing plates, despite having heaps of meat left on them at the start of the meeting. I didn't have any spares to fit(lesson now learnt) and had to get on the phone and ring around the local auto shops to find someone who stocked my unusual size/type. Well only one place that was open, stocked what i needed, but I didn't know the brand, they were just cheap American ****, but better than nothing, so we fitted them, no time to bed them in and my guys told me to be careful. Sure enough, I was careful, for the first lap. Then the red mist set in and I was in hot pursuit of someone who I rightly believed should be behind me, not in front. So I made a big desperate late braking move into the Carrussell in order to put things right, but I was too late and the cheap**** pads weren't interested and the tyre wall was approaching rapidly. As I bounced OVER the gravel trap, I became aware of how ineffective these things are when they are wet. At the last, I realised i was going to hit the wall, whether I liked it or not and figured it would hurt a lot less if I went in sideways. Good call as it turned out, I hit the wall hard, in mid air, at very high speed(the car bounced off the tyre wall and CLEARED the gravel trap, before landing on the road) yet the car was still driveable and next day i was fine, but for sore shoulders, neck, head etc. Anyway, I'm still around and the rebuild on the car is progressing well.
Old 30 Nov 2000, 09:23 (Ref:50424)   #10
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Macabre topic but we all like talking about our war stories I guess...
I had two big shunts in 4 meetings during the '98 season.
The first came at Pembrey, track has a very long back straight with a kink and then a fast 70 degress left hander onto the start finish straight which ends in a hairpin. I managed to hold my Renault 5 Turbo flat through the whole section for the first time and when I arrived at the braking point I'd passed 2 cars and was doing Warp 2. I hit the brakes but hadn't allowed for the extra speed, it all locked up and I T-boned the guy 5 cars in front. Tore his car in half, took everything off the 5 Turbo in front of the windscreen. Two big black stripes down my chest from the belts and a bruise on the point of my chin from the crash helmet hitting my chest. Car needed major surgery but was out again 2 races later.
2 races back in the car was dicing in the pack on the run down to Old Paddock at Castle Combe, circa 100MPH, passed a guy and he pulled out and touched the rear corner. Car started to fishtail, sideswiped the barriers and then did a forward roll. Track came straight up and smashed the windscreen but it rolled back on its wheels and I climbed out pretty much uninjured although a bit unsure which way was up.
Car was totally destroyed although onboard video captured the whole thing so I can give myself nightmares with a rerun should I so desire. I think there are copies being offered for sale at the Trackside forum if anyone wants to know exactly how not to do it!
RickP:Clio33
Old 30 Nov 2000, 11:54 (Ref:50446)   #11
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That was you Rick! I was standing about 10 yards upstream of where you first hit the barriers on the Combe shunt. Dan Friel would have been in attendance too. Definitely 9 out of 10 for artistic impression. We were particularly impressed by you taking a bow to the crowd afterwards. Good effort
Old 30 Nov 2000, 11:58 (Ref:50447)   #12
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well they applauded in such a sporting fashion I thought the least I could do was acknowledge them!
There are still drivers in that race that swear blind they saw me cartwheeling over the top of other cars!
Glad to have entertained!
Rick
Old 30 Nov 2000, 18:34 (Ref:50501)   #13
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring back Old Paddock!! they were the days, can remember most accidents there - cause they were all huge!! Can remember your accident Rick (the last ever biggie at Old Paddock??). Was a good way distant (on the inside) so watched the whole thing unfold.. think it's on the Castle Combe crash video for the year also..
Old 1 Dec 2000, 09:12 (Ref:50620)   #14
Veteran

England
Zurich
Can you check for me and let me know where I can purchase a copy? Would be appreciated!
A guy rushed down from the crowd and showed me his video footage ofit and it looked spectacular from the outside, but I was too shook up to take his name and number.
Rick
Old 1 Dec 2000, 12:28 (Ref:50636)   #15
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
yelwoci should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grp1 Mazda Rx7 2000 Cadwell Park, UK

Cadwell Pk is an awesome circuit which has been described as the Spa of UK.
I love the circuit but its fearsome, so I test the day before.
This year it was raining heavily so I decided after 5 tentative laps to call it a day.
I cruised down the 7:1 Gooseneck turned left on to the Mansfield straight. At the end of this straight is the approach to The Mountain which is a 90deg left, 90deg right leading to a leap over a crest of a hill (great for photos). The paddock entrance is before the right hander.

I had made the decision to pull off and was coasting down to the corner. As I applied the brakes and changed into 3rd I hit standing water and aquaplaned straight ahead for about 40m straight into the tyres and to the wall behind.

Marshalls reconned I hit the tyres at 70mph and that they were about to halt the test because of the water!
Pushed the chassis rails back 1", even allowing for the soft nose of the RX7.

Lads bashed it out for the next days race (in blazing sunshine of course!). I was very sore but luckily my 'other-half' is a accupressurist and sports masseuresse and had chosen to come to the meeting!

IanC
Old 1 Dec 2000, 13:16 (Ref:50642)   #16
Veteran

England
Zurich
That's a nasty place to go off Ian!
I had a test day there in a Caterham where my team-mate had a very similar accident at the end of the first session of the day (although he was going a whole lot slower!).
Then to compound the mechanics misery, I ran wide at the 90-degree-right-with-no-runoff at the end of the Hall Bends, clipped the tyres and flipped my Caterham upside down which was the attitude it was still in when it hit the wall at Barn (the next corner!). Car was rebuildable in time for the race but it was a little burnt(as was your intrepid pilot!)in the ensuing fuel fire...
Still an awesome circuit although I never really got used to apexing on the tree trunk for the 2nd Hall bend...
RickP:Clio33
Old 1 Dec 2000, 14:10 (Ref:50651)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Cadwell Park.

April 9 1995 I wrote off my Group 1 mk2 Capri. Heading into Park at the end of Park straight I applied the brakes and turned.............. nothing. I skidded over the damp grass hit the tyre wall and flew over the spectator fencing and landed upside down.

I have never got over that. At one time I had the Metro lap record. Now? Its my bogey circuit.
Old 5 Jan 2001, 12:45 (Ref:56252)   #18
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Peter, how different was that car to your present one, do you have any pictures?
Old 5 Jan 2001, 14:44 (Ref:56279)   #19
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the one that sticks in my mind the most was actually a couple of years ago at Mallory , I was testing in my Sunbeam Lotus with a mixed bag of other stuff including 3 or 4 Ferrari's . I had done alot of laps during the course of the morning and was really flying (it was a race not road car) but I had got stuck behind this one Ferrari and his ego obviously didnt allow him to be passed by a less than concours SL , so he just drove very defensively and wouldnt let me pass , which included going round Gerards in the middle of the track , now being a responsible driver I decided it was a bit risky trying to sneak up the inside incase I lost it and shoved his expensive car off-anyway after a couple of laps it was all getting a little tiresome so I piled on the pressure through the Esses a couple of times to show him I was going to go by him there in the next lap or two , I finally decided to nail him through there up the hill and gave him a as I got alongside him at which he seemed to fade away fast....as I looked forward again I remembered why - the hairpin that is Shaws - I went straight on and no doubt he went very smugly past ) Anyway , red flag and a tow back to the pits where I parked up and surveyed the damage for about ten seconds before , whilst ranting on about the idiot in the Ferrari , myself and a mate attacked the wing and bonnet with a very large hammer and crowbar , funny thing was that I hadnt realised we were actually parked next to the 'offending' Ferrari and a very pale (probably because of the hammer) driver and entourage , needless to say I was ready for the next session and boy did he get out of the way quick when I came up behind him this time.
Old 5 Jan 2001, 22:59 (Ref:56420)   #20
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I havn't had a major shunt, just a couple of minor one and a few good spins.
At my first race meeting in my Street sedan Mazda rx3 (standard 10a road registered) at Eastern Creek after practice and qualifying everyone told me you can go thru turn 1 flat without lifting. So it comes to the first race and on the 3rd lap i decide to go thru turn1 flat. Big mistake car understeers and me being a little inexperinced lift off the throttle, big oversteer which turns into a tank slapper, which eventually ends up with me facing the inside wall near the pit exit and the flag marshall giving me a round of applause.
I had a coming together with a Leyland P76(yes a P76) at amaroo park coming onto the main straight I decided to dive down the inside hwere there was just enough room, until he decided he was going to hit the wall and pulled the car harder to the left and put his drivers door into my front pass guard and sent us both spinning wildly off onto the grassy infeild. The best bit about htat shunt was I got my photo in Auto Action.
Old 6 Jan 2001, 09:19 (Ref:56518)   #21
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
A P76, i don't believe it. Was he actually racing it? In what class?

Do you still have the RX-3? How are street sedans going in NSW? They died up here over 10 years ago.
Old 7 Jan 2001, 09:31 (Ref:56920)   #22
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Yes a P76

David,
Firstly, unfortunatly i dont have the mazda anymore.Only raced it for one season and the old story, ran out of money.
Now i have a wife and a 1 year old daughter so the motorsport will hve to wait a bit longer.
The P76 was built to street sedan regs buy a guy by the name of John Hepher, he actually sold me the rx3 to pay for the P76. It never went real well though. I was able to beat it on most occasions in my 10a rx3.
The car is still around in another mates shed in Penrith.
Street sedans are basically dead in NSW, they tried to make a V8 commodore class for 5lt VB - VK but it never realy took off. I think they will just about die this year as there is going to be a state GTP series for the older cars so that will probaly take over.
mtpanorama
Old 7 Jan 2001, 11:12 (Ref:56951)   #23
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
what would an Rx3 or Rx4 street sedan sell for?
Old 8 Jan 2001, 10:51 (Ref:57305)   #24
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
If there wer any lefr, probably somewhere between $3000-$5000.
I bought mine in 1991 for $3500 with a spare shell, 2 motors ,2 gearboxes, enough panels for 3 cars and enough other parts to fill 3 box trailers.
Old 8 Jan 2001, 10:58 (Ref:57307)   #25
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
It's a shame they're not around anymore, that is SO cheap. Try building a Club Car (improved production) for that, forget it!