Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 30 Apr 2003, 10:28 (Ref:584793)   #1
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Opinions on...

The new 125cc KTM machine

Obviously the bike is still experimental, and there is still a tonne of development to be done, but judging by Vincent's fine performance last Sunday, where he finished 12th, the new KTM is already developing.

Although race wins are still only a minor chance this year, if development continues on the right track, there is no reason why Vincent, and even Locatelli (who has struggled in the first two races) cannot at least challenge for top 5 positions.

The new RSW 250cc Honda

Tested throughout last year by Haruchika Aoki, the bike is still going through the final phases of development, and in the hands of Rolfo and Porto has proved capable of being a top 5 machine, but still seems to be 2nd best compared to the factory Aprilia's.

However, Honda are desperate to redress the situation of last year where they went without a victory, so I expect the new RSW machine to be challenging for wins more often than not.

The 250cc Grid

I was worried pre-season about the lack of depth in the class, but I think South Africa and Japan proved that there will at least be 8 regular contenders for victories and/or podiums. Stand-out so far has been Poggiali, but IMO de Puniet, Nieto, Elias, Rolfo and Porto are all capable of wins while Battaini and West are more than capable of providing an upset. Who knows, if the conditions are right even Naoki Matsudo can lead!

Gilera and Derbi

Where have they gone? Perhaps Gilera losing Poggiali and Derbi dumping Ui has knocked the stuffing out of them. Jorge Lorenzo is no Poggiali, while Alzamora hasn't been on the pace with the Derbi. Clearly something is amiss in the entire squad.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 10:56 (Ref:584831)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The KTM will get better, but tis clearly miles off the pace at the moment. Vincent and Locatelli really deserve better hardware, and unfortunately Vincent has little to gain this year, except for the chance of a ride on the MotoGP bike they are planning, as he's alreeady won the 125 title.

The 250 Honda should pose a real threat to the Aprilia soon, but not yet. Currently they seem to be behind on performance, although, if there's development still to come. Unfortunately Aprilia also have better riders.

The field seems quite even. Poggiali is looking like a real star who could follow Melandri up to MotoGP next season, but Rolfo and Elias especially look pretty sharp. de Puniet and West have also exceeded my expectations and look set to be repeat winners.

Did Derbi dump Ui, or was it his decision to retire? Eitehr way, you're right, they are miles off the pace. Alzamora is about the most hit-and-miss rider there is, on some bikes he's superb, on other's he's merely ordinary. If he had a team-mate, I think they'd be much higher up.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 20:01 (Ref:585558)   #3
CleanTone
Racer

Romania
Colentina
CleanTone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was expecting somthing big from KTM, but when I thought on it they really seem on the right track after RSA(unless that was a Vincent track - I don't know that)

250cc- is a useless class in a world championship and it seems very open for positions 2-7. The problem is that on the screen, when they show the top 8, they are the same at all time. So... 8 riders would have been enough
Old 1 May 2003, 07:58 (Ref:585948)   #4
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to answer your last question first:
Harold Bartol's (cheif engineer) defection to KTM hurt more then the loss of any rider. That said the new KTM should be regularly in the 2nd top pack by mid-season.

The new RSW 250cc Honda, seems pretty good for a new(ish) bike, Porto is certainly the best bet for a victory.

I pretty much agree with you about the 250 grid, i can see west getting a win (which is what he needs). But i think the most obviously thing about this season is the dominace of the MS Aprilia team, those guys really know there stuff, its a golden seat.
Old 1 May 2003, 13:25 (Ref:586227)   #5
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
It is interesting to see how 250cc got VERY close to 500cc in the last years before MotoGP arrived.

Even now, in Welkom there was just 3 secs between poles (250cc and MotoGP). Considering the techincal restriction imposed in 250cc, the amount of money and manufacturers, and the brilliance of drivers in the higher category, I wonder what could be done with a 250cc two strokes bike, with a proper effort.

Maybe 250cc type of bikes are inherently faster bikes in the current kind of tracks we have today. Obviously, they are faster in coners that motoGP's. Even 125cc are faster in some corners (not strange, some times a F3 car can be faster in a very slow corner than a F1).

Anyway, MotoGP beasts are GREAT to watch, and seems so difficult to ride They are a real challenge for any high level international rider. My only question is safety... (Group B rally cars come to my mind )