Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 15 Feb 2006, 12:13 (Ref:1523335)   #1
TuscanR
Racer

England
Hertfordshire
TuscanR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taking pictures at night?

Hello All,
I'm gonig to Santa Pod this saturday evening to the "Saturday Night Special", and I would love to take my camera, however I have no experience of taking pictures at night and would be interested in any pointers or tips you could give me i.e. what settings to use (aperture, film speed etc) to get the best pictures possible.

Thanks in advance
Paul
Old 15 Feb 2006, 16:05 (Ref:1523477)   #2
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good idea, I'd like some general tips for this as well, after my woeful pictures from Le Mans and Silverstone LMES.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 21:55 (Ref:1523821)   #3
photohsr
Racer

Canada
Burlington, Ontario
photohsr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This shot is from Sebring: Canon EOS !DMKII, 28-70 2.8 Lens, Film Speed ASA 400, shutter speed 1/60, aperature 5.6 Canon 550 EX Flash
Bob H.

http://www.hsrrace.com/HSR/photogal....ks/PHOR-6ABL62
Old 15 Feb 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1523829)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I got a flash gun at xmas, I have not used it at night yet but I want some practice before Le Mans, which I will get on the Robin Hood Stages in a few weeks time.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 11:56 (Ref:1524229)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
We had a big discussion about taking shots in the dark before the Brands Britcar night race in November, the thread is here:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76558

As with all these things practice makes perfect - and fittingly for my first attempt at taking photos in the dark mine were all pretty awful I got one shot that I was happy with from about 50ish that I took. I'd imagine Santa Pod in the dark will be great for shots of huge balls of flame?
Old 25 Feb 2006, 19:21 (Ref:1531473)   #6
TuscanR
Racer

England
Hertfordshire
TuscanR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the advice guys. Like Bert MKII I only got a few shots that I like out of about 75 that I took. I was shooting fully manual and the spot lights on the start line were causing me so many problems trying to get the right exposure, I also panicked when the jet car came out and was moving the appeture and shutter speed dials the wrong way, I got qiuet a nice piece of exposed flame but the rest of the exposure is total darkness,oops. Oh well heres to next time.
I was going to post a couple of images but as they are shot at night, to reduce them to 400x400 means that you wouldn't be able to see an awful lot. I really must get the 'net at home as the company internet is getting more and more restrictive by the day!
Once again thanks for the advice.